• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2018 Thread

BajaFand

The difficulty of the course this year was a great equalizer. The difficulty made the human skills much more important. While it looks like Sainz is going to win, driving one of the fastest cars, he won because he drove the best race. If he drove the same race in a Toyota or a Mini, he probably still would have won (but it might have been closer). This year every stage, up until the last day, looked really challenging. I don't remember any stages we would have referred to as "WRC style" in past years.
Makes me think this could’ve been a good year for the Humbuggy

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

spalind

The difficulty of the course this year was a great equalizer. The difficulty made the human skills much more important. While it looks like Sainz is going to win, driving one of the fastest cars, he won because he drove the best race. If he drove the same race in a Toyota or a Mini, he probably still would have won (but it might have been closer). This year every stage, up until the last day, looked really challenging. I don't remember any stages we would have referred to as "WRC style" in past years.
This...really...whereas prior years were mostly WRC stages with a couple off piste thrown in, this year was seemingly entirely offroad and navigation heavy. Shows how well engineered and driven the Pugs are to excel in both. Great event this year...wish Bryce had lasted longer to drive more US interest but too bad for those following along for only that reason...

michael_loomis

Carlos did drive a hell of a race. We saw what happened to the other 3 Pugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51rcr

My Dish Network DVR seems to be picking up and recording ALL of them, but this year there seem to be no re-airs as they have run in years past so if you miss one for any reason it is gone...

The times that they are airing is nuts, no consistency at all!!! Can't set it for a time or anything like that or most will be skipped as "no event"...

It was weird to me that my existing timer which has been in place for several years to record all Dakar did not pick up any of the episodes this year so I had to create a new one...

I go ahead and set it to record all the episodes that air and then if there is a repeat when I'm watching I delete it right away... That way I hopefully won't miss any episodes if they air at odd times or anything...

same for me pissed me off, reset it a couple of times

WillG

BC25EA6D-6C3B-472C-928A-C83F5A87BBB6.jpeg
02F9DDDF-6E13-4692-AD9F-3D4D8B152B29.jpeg
130F2851-2A94-4557-B6D8-1CD403228E82.jpeg

Interesting stats from The Peugeot team. And an illustration of the logistical and financial effort behind a winning campaign. I wonder how much the air conditioning helped the drivers this year, I know this was one of Sainzs gripes in previous years when the cars didn’t have it

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Super huge congrats to Carlos Sainz. Stoked that he got the win, as I am a huge fan of his and his kid. Also, a big of a 'hats off' to all of this years competitors...particular the finishers. This was a 'proper Dakar!' (said with my fake English accent...Haha). Hoping Bryce comes back next year stronger and smarter. Next years 'cars' class will certainly look different. Might we see Chile again?

I have to say, I for one didn't miss RG this year. He brought too much stuff to the race that was not really representative of what I think is the spirit of America and US racers. I just was thinking about how Dan Gurney (RIP) would have conducted himself at Dakar. My 2 pesos.

Lots of guys need to heal up and get ready for 2019. Can't wait!

See you next year Dakar RDC faithful. Woot...woot! Who is going to start the 2019 thread?

GEO_DXB

Just following up on some things I learned lately. (yeah yeah I love gossip)

KAMAZ - when it became clear that Nikolaev is the guy to go for the top spot, all other trucks became his mules. At one point all the crews stopped at one spot to see who's truck gets stripped for what part. Eventually they figured out how to keep their No. 1 running and get another truck racing for top finish. Nikolaev had only 4 or 5 gears for stage 13 as his gearbox was dying.

Also heard that El Coyote (Villagra) did have a chat with KAMAZ before withrawing. I was not there so cant witness, but I guess he was really caught red handed. Please dont quote me on that - this is not coming from KAMAZ or Iveco camp, just someone around the rally.

Red Bull - some people on their sport pool (as in on their athlete website) are getting peanuts... (not talking of the creme de la creme boys and girls) Its a really small $$$ injection yearly - not enough to do any serious race even on a bike. But media support from Red Bull is amazing and everyone on their roster gets access to it through a Red Bull media team almost immediately. (and you get Red Bull goodies)...

Any statistical comparison of this with other recent years? I’m lazy...

2018: 191 vehicles completed the 40th edition: 85 bikes, 32 quads, 49 cars including 6 SxS and 25 trucks, meaning 55% of the competitors that set out from Lima two weeks ago reached the finish.

2017: 97 motorcycles, 22 quads, 63 cars (including 5 SSVs) and 38 trucks, or 220 vehicles from the 318 who set off from Asunción in Paraguay on 2 January, 2017, reached the Buenos Aires arrival podium in Argentina.

2016: 218 vehicles (84 bikes, 23 quads, 67 cars and 44 trucks) from 347 starters in Buenos Aires.

2015: 216 vehicles made it to the finish line (79 bikes, 18 quads, 68 cars, 51 trucks) from 406 at the start

Source
< you can find all finishers from every edition here.

Offspring

Red Bull - some people on their sport pool (as in on their athlete website) are getting peanuts... (not talking of the creme de la creme boys and girls) Its a really small $$$ injection yearly - not enough to do any serious race even on a bike. But media support from Red Bull is amazing and everyone on their roster gets access to it through a Red Bull media team almost immediately. (and you get Red Bull goodies)...
WADR pretty sure that is not a surprise to anyone paying attention over the years.

Short Bus

The last video in the Bryce Menzies series. Before the crash he is discussing shock adjustments - around 1:00 in the video. They were aware it wasn't really set up right yet.