1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

The "Official" Dakar 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by Ferrari333SP, Jan 11, 2017.

1. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

Final results!

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 9.53.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 9.54.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 9.54.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 9.54.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 9.54.33 AM.png

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  2. BajaFand

BajaFand Well-Known Member

Makes me think this could’ve been a good year for the Humbuggy

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

3. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

This...really...whereas prior years were mostly WRC stages with a couple off piste thrown in, this year was seemingly entirely offroad and navigation heavy. Shows how well engineered and driven the Pugs are to excel in both. Great event this year...wish Bryce had lasted longer to drive more US interest but too bad for those following along for only that reason...

(+1) 2 people like and 1 person dislikes this.
  4. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Carlos did drive a hell of a race. We saw what happened to the other 3 Pugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 51rcr

51rcr Well-Known Member

same for me pissed me off, reset it a couple of times

6. Bull-dust

Bull-dust Well-Known Member

7. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

BC25EA6D-6C3B-472C-928A-C83F5A87BBB6.jpeg 02F9DDDF-6E13-4692-AD9F-3D4D8B152B29.jpeg 130F2851-2A94-4557-B6D8-1CD403228E82.jpeg

Interesting stats from The Peugeot team. And an illustration of the logistical and financial effort behind a winning campaign. I wonder how much the air conditioning helped the drivers this year, I know this was one of Sainzs gripes in previous years when the cars didn’t have it

(+3) 3 people like this.
  8. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

The old man won, didn't he? ;)

IIRC, Mercedes-Benz did a study decades ago and determined 68F ideal driving temp.

9. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

I love those graphics, thanks for sharing!

(+2) 2 people like this.
  10. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

In total, 191 vehicles completed the 40th edition: 85 bikes, 32 quads, 49 cars including 6 SxS and 25 trucks, meaning 55% of the competitors that set out from Lima two weeks ago reached the finish.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  11. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Super huge congrats to Carlos Sainz. Stoked that he got the win, as I am a huge fan of his and his kid. Also, a big of a 'hats off' to all of this years competitors...particular the finishers. This was a 'proper Dakar!' (said with my fake English accent...Haha). Hoping Bryce comes back next year stronger and smarter. Next years 'cars' class will certainly look different. Might we see Chile again?

I have to say, I for one didn't miss RG this year. He brought too much stuff to the race that was not really representative of what I think is the spirit of America and US racers. I just was thinking about how Dan Gurney (RIP) would have conducted himself at Dakar. My 2 pesos.

Lots of guys need to heal up and get ready for 2019. Can't wait!

See you next year Dakar RDC faithful. Woot...woot! Who is going to start the 2019 thread?

(+4) 4 people like this.
  12. blue dog

blue dog Well-Known Member

Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks
    It’s been fun.

Now get off my lawn.

(+3) 3 people like this.
  13. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

Any statistical comparison of this with other recent years? I’m lazy...

14. DeRaRa

DeRaRa Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss this phrase from Nasser until next year "But OK"

(+5) 5 people like this.
  15. GEO_DXB

GEO_DXB Well-Known Member

Just following up on some things I learned lately. (yeah yeah I love gossip)

KAMAZ - when it became clear that Nikolaev is the guy to go for the top spot, all other trucks became his mules. At one point all the crews stopped at one spot to see who's truck gets stripped for what part. Eventually they figured out how to keep their No. 1 running and get another truck racing for top finish. Nikolaev had only 4 or 5 gears for stage 13 as his gearbox was dying.

Also heard that El Coyote (Villagra) did have a chat with KAMAZ before withrawing. I was not there so cant witness, but I guess he was really caught red handed. Please dont quote me on that - this is not coming from KAMAZ or Iveco camp, just someone around the rally.

Red Bull - some people on their sport pool (as in on their athlete website) are getting peanuts... (not talking of the creme de la creme boys and girls) Its a really small $$$ injection yearly - not enough to do any serious race even on a bike. But media support from Red Bull is amazing and everyone on their roster gets access to it through a Red Bull media team almost immediately. (and you get Red Bull goodies)...

(+2) 2 people like this.
  16. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

2018: 191 vehicles completed the 40th edition: 85 bikes, 32 quads, 49 cars including 6 SxS and 25 trucks, meaning 55% of the competitors that set out from Lima two weeks ago reached the finish.

2017: 97 motorcycles, 22 quads, 63 cars (including 5 SSVs) and 38 trucks, or 220 vehicles from the 318 who set off from Asunción in Paraguay on 2 January, 2017, reached the Buenos Aires arrival podium in Argentina.

2016: 218 vehicles (84 bikes, 23 quads, 67 cars and 44 trucks) from 347 starters in Buenos Aires.

2015: 216 vehicles made it to the finish line (79 bikes, 18 quads, 68 cars, 51 trucks) from 406 at the start

Source
    < you can find all finishers from every edition here.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  17. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

WADR pretty sure that is not a surprise to anyone paying attention over the years.

18. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

The last video in the Bryce Menzies series. Before the crash he is discussing shock adjustments - around 1:00 in the video. They were aware it wasn't really set up right yet.

19. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

Are we still blaming the shocks?

(+2) 2 people like this.
  20. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

In this instance you have to blame Bryce... but there is zero doubt the shock tuning could have saved that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(+3) 3 people like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted