• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

jajaja a little early for April Fools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spalind

Will need to see if Bryce and Pete run other Raid events in ‘18.

We’ve seen Sven with a real short hook when breaking in new drivers who don’t perform (see Chich) and wad up new vehicles.

I find it humorous that Pug supposedly had a big hand in determining future rules (see the turbo petrol 4wd discussion brought up earlier) given they won’t be involved. If they do go to a turbo, petrol, 4wd, requirement, doesn’t this mean that EVERYONE has to go back to the drawing board? Pugs are diesel, Minis are diesel, Yota’s are NA, etc?? Who is running a 4wd, turbo petrol?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
Not without the hummbuggy. That car could have won this thing, but he sold it like an idiot. Max Gordon will be the American that wins this.

tractoR

Exactly. It looks like FIA wants to turn "cross country" into a WRC spinoff, I don't think its practically feasible in such short term, if at all. They wouldn't do anything different if they intended to kill the discipline IMO.
This could get messy, but they don't seem to mind.
My take is this will be delayed or canned altogether.

spalind

Anybody know how Speed Energy is doing, as a company? Are they being distributed in any shops anywhere?
Out West, sure, I think it is in a number of chains. Here in the East? No. Market is over saturated. Would take tens of millions in marketing to put a dent in the major players. Don’t think that is what RB intended though. Probly saw the margins being made on what is essentially sugary, colored water and figured he could develop a small, profitable drink brand that would fund his efforts beyond relying on ever harder to get sponsorship money.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Bricoop

Out West, sure, I think it is in a number of chains. Here in the East? No. Market is over saturated. Would take tens of millions in marketing to put a dent in the major players. Don’t think that is what RB intended though. Probly saw the margins being made on what is essentially sugary, colored water and figured he could develop a small, profitable drink brand that would fund his efforts beyond relying on ever harder to get sponsorship money.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
I think it does best in Mexico.

vegasloki

Anybody know how Speed Energy is doing, as a company? Are they being distributed in any shops anywhere?
It's pretty limited out here compared to the other brands. It's not difficult to find but not everyone has it. OTOH everyone has Monster, Red Bull and Rock Star.

For the guys cheering for Max, let him win some races and show what he's got. He's got another 10-15 years before he'll be in the Dakar. It's my understanding no kid waivers, have to be 18.

Ferrari333SP

I could easily see this happen; financial backing from both Qatar and Red Bull should make this an easy deal. Peugeot should also like it, as their vehicles get to race again in the Dakar, piloted by the top drivers in the event, without having to fully pay for the effort. Win win for everybody

Then in 2019 we get a better developed Mini buggy(I think? Or are they pulling out too?), and the return of Toyota(with a buggy too?)

GEO_DXB

Nasser won't come close to PH Sport since Al Qassimi already put his leg through the door there. Al Qassimi did very well in Dakar, finished, no major issues, top 10 overall - so no reason for him to switch. If Nasser buys the cars (again, he loves 2WD) he will need to have a structure that will service, do logistics, the whole lot. At the moment all his setup is him taking his helmet and race suit wherever he wants and getting into a fully prepped car. And Nasser is at the moment the top dog with Overdrive and Gazoo, they bet their money on him so to say and he proved he is the fastest guy behind a real factory team. At the last desert challenge he was over an hour on AL Qassimi until he crashed - so that proves he can do better in his Yota than someone in a Pug.

If NAAH does get a Pug with PH Sport and Al Qassimi will stay too I will be spending my time with a bucketload of popcorn and a lot of red bull - thats going to be better than naked chicks mud wrestling.

I could easily see this happen; financial backing from both Qatar and Red Bull should make this an easy deal. Peugeot should also like it, as their vehicles get to race again in the Dakar, piloted by the top drivers in the event, without having to fully pay for the effort. Win win for everybody

Then in 2019 we get a better developed Mini buggy(I think? Or are they pulling out too?), and the return of Toyota(with a buggy too?)
Buying a car is nothing... it’s the support system behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Bus

Supposedly Nasser had a business dispute with PH Sport a few years ago when he hired them to manage and develop his buggy project.

PH Sport acusa a Nasser Al-Attiyah de mal pagador

I don't know if they patched things up or if Nasser is still persona non grata with PH. PH Sport would be the most logical organization to operate this project as they have had a relationship with Peugeot already.

A year ago Nasser was talking about buying the factory VW WRC team. I don't think that went anywhere.