• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

michael_loomis

Man I would love to see RG run open class against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattb

I wonder if they ran the numbers and saw that the US has no viewership of this race. How much coverage does this race get in other countries? If they focused a little on the US market, they could pull in some big US dollars in advertising.

Dirty Harry

I wonder if they ran the numbers and saw that the US has no viewership of this race. How much coverage does this race get in other countries? If they focused a little on the US market, they could pull in some big US dollars in advertising.
If who ran the numbers? Desert racing doesn’t even pull big US advertising dollars so I’m not sure why Dakar would.

But at the end of the day if you could pick a guy who wadded up a car on Stage 2 last year or three guys who have a combined 20 times, those are probably all the numbers you need to run.

mattb

If who ran the numbers? Desert racing doesn’t even pull big US advertising dollars so I’m not sure why Dakar would.

But at the end of the day if you could pick a guy who wadded up a car on Stage 2 last year or three guys who have a combined 20 times, those are probably all the numbers you need to run.
I was referring to RedBull running the numbers on whether it is in their interest bringing a US driver back under their umbrella. It’s unfortunate that Baja, Dakar, WRX, and other off-road racing isn’t embraced in the US. But the question could be, “Is it because of lack of interest, or lack of marketing?” If people don’t know about it, they don’t have the opportunity to like it.

spalind

I think Bryce has used up the bullets in his gun for Dakar with Mini unless he comes up with a **** ton cash to buy his way back in...His DNF rate was not so hot in Rally-Raid...Unfortunate...He also is not dedicated to it the way other guys are...Even RG...hell, you could at least say it was on his mind and he was working on it all the time...Bryce? Well...he's young and has a young man's appetites jetting here and there with his fiancé, a bit of desert here, a bit of short course there, etc. Again...these other guys? Sainz, AAT, etc.? They live and die this stuff all year long. Its not a slight against Bryce...Dakar is just another venue for his interests, not his sole focus 24-7-365

Dirty Harry

I was referring to RedBull running the numbers on whether it is in their interest bringing a US driver back under their umbrella. It’s unfortunate that Baja, Dakar, WRX, and other off-road racing isn’t embraced in the US. But the question could be, “Is it because of lack of interest, or lack of marketing?” If people don’t know about it, they don’t have the opportunity to like it.
I agree that it is a chicken-and-egg situation with marketing and interest. I think that Dakar and rally raid are super interesting but the aren't something you can go and recreate anywhere like say, short course or NASCAR.

Dirty Harry

I think Bryce has used up the bullets in his gun for Dakar with Mini unless he comes up with a **** ton cash to buy his way back in...His DNF rate was not so hot in Rally-Raid...Unfortunate...He also is not dedicated to it the way other guys are...Even RG...hell, you could at least say it was on his mind and he was working on it all the time...Bryce? Well...he's young and has a young man's appetites jetting here and there with his fiancé, a bit of desert here, a bit of short course there, etc. Again...these other guys? Sainz, AAT, etc.? They live and die this stuff all year long. Its not a slight against Bryce...Dakar is just another venue for his interests, not his sole focus 24-7-365
I don't think that is entirely accurate. RG was never that focused on Dakar, and he is his own biggest sponsor with Speed Energy. If Robby focused on rally raid year round I believe he would have won Dakar by now, but it was always an afterthought with a different crew, different navigators, and different vehicles.

Bryce actually did really good at the Silk Way and I would say that he does more than just "a bit of desert" and "a bit of short course". He has won multiple short course championships and desert races (including the Mint 400 this year). He is a millionaire playboy, but that actually makes him fit in at Dakar with guys like Olympic skeet shooter Nassar Al-Attiyah.

I think that Bryce's biggest issues are his injuries, his navigator leaving his program, and obviously wadding the car up last year didn't help to get a ride.

mattb

NAPCAR is dead...that money has to go somewhere...
So true. I haven’t had interest in years. The last time I saw a race on (last month), the stands were at about 1/3-1/2 capacity. It won’t be long until sponsorship changes again. Prices will be going down for advertising and everyone will renegotiate.

Bricoop

The Dakar Coverage in Europe is far superior to that in the states. They have up to 8 hours of coverage that is much more timely than what we get, I believe much of it is live.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. RG was never that focused on Dakar, and he is his own biggest sponsor with Speed Energy. If Robby focused on rally raid year round I believe he would have won Dakar by now, but it was always an afterthought with a different crew, different navigators, and different vehicles.

Bryce actually did really good at the Silk Way and I would say that he does more than just "a bit of desert" and "a bit of short course". He has won multiple short course championships and desert races (including the Mint 400 this year). He is a millionaire playboy, but that actually makes him fit in at Dakar with guys like Olympic skeet shooter Nassar Al-Attiyah.

I think that Bryce's biggest issues are his injuries, his navigator leaving his program, and obviously wadding the car up last year didn't help to get a ride.
I think it all comes down to $$$. The 2009 car could have won if they had factory backing. It's not just SPEED supporting the team. Toyo writes checks, GM provides support, Traxxas, Mapei, etc. Ronn Bailey and Nassar (Qatar) have all written big checks, but these are a drop in the bucket compared to a proper factory effort. RG is a victim of himself. But when you run a small business you do what you gotta do. He should of been out of Nascar years before he finally left. I believe RG started the now very common multi-sponsor program when he and and Paul Menard got companies in Menards to co-sponsor races. He's got great business acumen, even though he never finished high school. He partnered with the right people and has made his way via hardwork, lots and lots of hardwork. He's certainly made some mistakes and burned some bridges, but that happens in business.

Think if a factory team were to provide $10mm(a fraction of the cost to run a rally program for a year) to a Baja team like Mason, Geiser, or RPM with factory engine, testing, wind tunnel, and engineering support? That Trophy Truck would smoke the competition. What if they had a team of engineers monitoring live data feeds during the race? What if they got a shock supplier and tire manufacturer to make a superior exclusive product for their team? What if they hired topographers and used advanced satelite data to find every short-cut and provide course notes to their teams. Now what if they cloned it 4 times after they got the recipe right? They'd almost certainly sweep every race. That's what Dakar is and has been for over a decade. One manufacturer dumps a bunch of money into an effort and dominates until they drop out or another team drops a boat load of $$$ on a new car. Mitsubishi then VW then Mini then Peugeot. Its why a car with such limited suspension can compete in an off-road race against long travel cars. If the FIA wanted to level the field they'd open the rules and let the Baja guys use some of their tricks. But that's not what the FIA wants. I'm not exaggerating when I say all of these tactics have been used by the factory teams. (PS-not directed at you DH, just had me thinking).

Dirty Harry

Think if a factory team were to provide $10mm(a fraction of the cost to run a rally program for a year) to a Baja team like Mason, Geiser, or RPM with factory engine, testing, wind tunnel, and engineering support? That Trophy Truck would smoke the competition. What if they had a team of engineers monitoring live data feeds during the race? What if they got a shock supplier and tire manufacturer to make a superior exclusive product for their team? What if they hired topographers and used advanced satelite data to find every short-cut and provide course notes to their teams. Now what if they cloned it 4 times after they got the recipe right? They'd almost certainly sweep every race. That's what Dakar is and has been for over a decade. One manufacturer dumps a bunch of money into an effort and dominates until they drop out or another team drops a boat load of $$$ on a new car. Mitsubishi then VW then Mini then Peugeot. Its why a car with such limited suspension can compete in an off-road race against long travel cars. If the FIA wanted to level the field they'd open the rules and let the Baja guys use some of their tricks. But that's not what the FIA wants. I'm not exaggerating when I say all of these tactics have been used by the factory teams. (PS-not directed at you DH, just had me thinking).
I couldn't agree more. It is like if one factory effort came to Baja and everyone else was still doing the same thing they are doing now. The only part I don't agree with is regarding Baja trucks. They wouldn't win in Dakar even if the rules did allow them. They are too heavy and would wear you out after two weeks in the cockpit. The terrain used for the Dakar Rally just isn't rough enough to allow a Trophy Truck to make up for the inherent disadvantages.

Bricoop

I couldn't agree more. It is like if one factory effort came to Baja and everyone else was still doing the same thing they are doing now. The only part I don't agree with is regarding Baja trucks. They wouldn't win in Dakar even if the rules did allow them. They are too heavy and would wear you out after two weeks in the cockpit. The terrain used for the Dakar Rally just isn't rough enough to allow a Trophy Truck to make up for the inherent disadvantages.
For sure. A TT would get crushed. I just meant some of the geometry setups. RG criticized the first version of the Peugeot pretty sternly. That thing bucked terribly. The H3 was far superior to anything out there(other than Schlessler buggy), but couldn't win because of the power regs. And before someone jumps in, yes I understand part of the challenge is to build something within strict rule constraints.

Anybody know if Textron is gonna pony up for RGM to make another run?