• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

billy evans

One of you super talented fabricators that follow Dakar here tell me what the Cornels did to thier buggy over the summer if you noticed on social media .. Was it only cooling and electrical like they claimed ? Is a buggy like that capable of finishing in the top 20 ? I just love their outlook.. year one and two are learning.. Year 3 watch out they say. LOL.. I love tbose guys.

NIKAL

sheldon won the arca championship this year and is racing nascar trucks next year,so he is on his way,iam glad for him.
Sheldon is a neighbor of mine. Super cool down to earth kid. (Sorry adult, he’s 21 now!) Does not act like he’s better then everyone else, even considering all his success on 2 & 4 wheels. Mom, Dad & Grandpa have done a good job with him, plus like I said just good guy. I’ve been friends with a few who have made the jump to NASCAR and it changed them. I really don’t see that happening with Sheldon.

It will be fun to watch the NASCAR truck races again!

GEO_DXB

Exactly why I asked about the belts earlier in this thread...Belts don't last...they simply don't. And they massively limit the platforms. And if you get three hotheads trying to push their "cars" to keep up with the competition? Forget any semblance of restraint in protecting the equipment...
A Polaris that DesertDog and his team built finished 10th overall in Abu Dhabi a few years ago. So a non-factory UTV (T3 FIA) finishes among factory T1 prototypes. Yes, they went through certain amount of belts, maybe had to stop sometimes to cool belts or wouldnt go straight up the biggest dune... But they finished an event that is comparable to what current Dakar layout is, maybe even tougher due to temperatures. All about the driving style and adapting it to how CVT works. They played with cooling of the belt, driving style, some other things and eventually learned how to keep the belts alive. And I guess the belts themselves get better year by year as new materials come into play.

GEO_DXB

One of you super talented fabricators that follow Dakar here tell me what the Cornels did to thier buggy over the summer if you noticed on social media .. Was it only cooling and electrical like they claimed ? Is a buggy like that capable of finishing in the top 20 ? I just love their outlook.. year one and two are learning.. Year 3 watch out they say. LOL.. I love tbose guys.
Not a fabricator, but we discussed their built here some pages ago. There was even someone from their media on here. Yes they can finish top 20 if they dont break, get stuck, brake things. Just like maybe another 30-40 competitors. Can they finish say top 10? I dont even think so. It feels they are in for the fun of it rather than the overall position on the last day.

TJERGENSEN

I have completed 3 rally raids events so far and the one thing that i dont think gets talked about is the navigators. The navigator is steering the car. The driver is only a small part . You put Loeb with so so co dog and he won't win. The navigator needs to study the road book and come up with alerts. Alot of times it is better to slow down and hit a mark . This all comes from being out there and getting lost and having a plan for when it happens what to do. It is alot harder then people think. The dunes in a car is alot harder then a bike. Since a bike can get to the top of a dune stop get his heading. A car can't it has to fly the ridge . Hopefully R.G. drivers will listen to their navigator it is super important . Driver need to listen and ask question. Heading, next k mark, land mark. Countdown to turn. It is alot harder and some tips from a good navigator need to be remembered

RGFan

Yea, he often says he "coasts" the first 75% of Baja races. A bit braggadocios, but its how he feels.

The reason I say he isn't going hard is because of past results. If we look at his times before and after the disqualification, its clear he stepped it up. Nasser consistently won stages when they were in identical cars. Not to mention I've heard so many times him preaching about how the rally is about survival.

Pretty neat to see RG and team back for another try. Not sure how I feel about him racing in a SXS, would have loved to see the next iteration of the Hummer/Gordini. But with the $$$ involved , can certainly understand why he went the route of the SXS. Plus with much of the race being in the dunes, maybe he is on to something with his strategy......Time will tell if the dunes are the great equalizer with regards to top end speed against the top cars when it all shakes out. Hopefully he is not taking a knife to a gun fight, but it kind of feels that way.

With regards to him driving hard, as was referenced, that next stage after the disqual a few years back, he blew the competition away. He has it, but with age comes wisdom. The good ones know when to run on the ragged edge and when to take it back a notch. Just hoping for a good effort and result, do not want this turning into a laughing stock.

Best of luck to Team Speed

I have completed 3 rally raids events so far and the one thing that i dont think gets talked about is the navigators. The navigator is steering the car. The driver is only a small part . You put Loeb with so so co dog and he won't win. The navigator needs to study the road book and come up with alerts. Alot of times it is better to slow down and hit a mark . This all comes from being out there and getting lost and having a plan for when it happens what to do. It is alot harder then people think. The dunes in a car is alot harder then a bike. Since a bike can get to the top of a dune stop get his heading. A car can't it has to fly the ridge . Hopefully R.G. drivers will listen to their navigator it is super important . Driver need to listen and ask question. Heading, next k mark, land mark. Countdown to turn. It is alot harder and some tips from a good navigator need to be remembered
Can only agree on this ... RIP Henri Magne

michael_loomis

Definitely got those things working great! Can’t they take it for 250 miles a day, for 10 days though? Time will tell. Give’r hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk