• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

michael_loomis

This is linked to the the Supercars series downunder:

The 2016 bikes winner of the Dakar Rally, Toby Price is thought to be in the mix for a circuit racing debut in the ECB SuperUtes Series this year.

Price became the first Australian to win a class of the gruelling cross-country rally in 2016 on a KTM, and also finished third in ’15 and in last month’s ’18 edition.

Mitsubishi uses brand ambassador Price in its marketing campaign for the Triton, including a series of national television commercials.

The manufacturer and Price posted identical images on social media on Friday afternoon indicating a joint announcement is due to be made on Wednesday, February 14.

Mitsubishi was the first brand to commit to the new SuperUtes Series, with the Triton.

Craig Dontas is a confirmed starter in one of the Sieders Racing Team-built cars.

The new platform features turbo-diesel, dual-cab models from six manufacturers and starts at next month’s Supercars season-opening Adelaide 500.

All six models will take to the track this week at Queensland Raceway, in a parity test, before the eight-round series.
Sounds SST inspired. Haha.

Road racing in things that don’t belong on a road race track. Sounds like great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrlentle

Sounds SST inspired. Haha.

Road racing in things that don’t belong on a road race track. Sounds like great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys would love it. I'm not clued up on the new V8 Superutes but the older spec V8 Brutes is a down and dirty sealed circuit racing class. Great entertainment class. I suspect the Superutes are taking themselves a bit more seriously but we'll see.

Dirty Harry

I doubt Coma will be back as a competitor, but you never know. If Peugeot is truly done I would expect ASO to pursue Despres and/or try to get Castera back.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

DarrenSkilton

I doubt Coma will be back as a competitor, but you never know. If Peugeot is truly done I would expect ASO to pursue Despres and/or try to get Castera back.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
I spent some time with David Castera in Peru. He just purchased the Morocco Rally that runs in October so I don't think ASO will get him back. If people are interested in his rally they can contact me with any questions you might have. We are hoping to be there this year.

dbq61537

I having trouble finding the info, on the Dakar UTV class...

I was curious if, they limited the class to certain models...
I.E. Razor, Maverick X3, Yamaha, etc...

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

DarrenSkilton

I having trouble finding the info, on the Dakar UTV class...

I was curious if, they limited the class to certain models...
I.E. Razor, Maverick X3, Yamaha, etc...

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert
Here are the 2018 Dakar regs for SxS (UTV's)
http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/motorSports_dak/Final_-_ASO_Regulations_SxS_DK18_EN-FR.pdf

I expect these to evolve based on the changes I hear that are coming down the pipleine. No limit on which models, but there are some rules that are already out of date as far as US racers are concerned (30" tire, 14" wheels).

We want to add a Dakar Challenge for UTV's to Sonora Rally, so a north American team can win a free entry. Maybe for 2019...

dbq61537

Here are the 2018 Dakar regs for SxS (UTV's)
http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/motorSports_dak/Final_-_ASO_Regulations_SxS_DK18_EN-FR.pdf

I expect these to evolve based on the changes I hear that are coming down the pipleine. No limit on which models, but there are some rules that are already out of date as far as US racers are concerned (30" tire, 14" wheels).

We want to add a Dakar Challenge for UTV's to Sonora Rally, so a north American team can win a free entry. Maybe for 2019...
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

WillG

Loeb is back in WRC, at least for 3 races. The first is Rally Mexico starting today.

Sebastien Loeb has 'no idea' where he stands ahead of WRC return
He was actually leading the rally until he got a puncture and ended up finishing 5th.....in his first rally in 5 years, in a new car, without much testing, at the age of 44.....nuts!!!

They’re trying to get him to sign up to a full season of WRC but he’s currently committed to the new Works Peugeot rallycross effort.

Short Bus

Rumored 2019 route. It looks like it would make a good course if it is true. Lots of open desert/dunes through Peru and northern Chile. South of Copiapo the terrain looks more rugged/mountainous and I imagine the stages would be more constrained to trails. This route could reduce the really high altitude sections involved when crossing over the Andes to Bolivia and Argentina.

for reference:

Copiapo area:

chile.JPG

Baja:

baja.JPG

Dirty Harry

That would be an epic route! I skeptical that Argentina won't be part of the rally, but who knows.

In 2010 we went all the way south to Santiago before crossing back over into Argentina. As you noted, it isn't as open as northern Chile, but they still managed to find some good routes through there.

Hayward Racing

He was actually leading the rally until he got a puncture and ended up finishing 5th.....in his first rally in 5 years, in a new car, without much testing, at the age of 44.....nuts!!!

They’re trying to get him to sign up to a full season of WRC but he’s currently committed to the new Works Peugeot rallycross effort.
I actually went down to check out my first WRC event!

IMG_3606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app