• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

spalind

Was on the Textron Instagram and Robby was doing a Q&A from Glamis with the new WildcatXX. One question asked was if he would be coming back to Dakar. Robby’s answer was “Working on several options, but we are going back to Dakar.”
Very thrilled to hear this!

[Now for the sarcasm]

Expect to see the new Dakar-spec Wildcat's being loaded onto planes after having just been finished being assembled on 12/31/18...

Bricoop

Very thrilled to hear this!

[Now for the sarcasm]

Expect to see the new Dakar-spec Wildcat's being loaded onto planes after having just been finished being assembled on 12/31/18...
Hopefully they keep showing up for the desert races here and improve that reliability. I was curious about what engine they would go with, so I looked up the Regs. No idea if the pro charger falls under the 'manufacturer kit'? The choice will be easy once TOR pulls out the rumored Turbo model.

T6P6 ENGINE T6P6.1 GENERAL The location of the engine is from standard vehicle. No preparation or modification of engine internal. Possibility to add an alternator or modify the standard alternator. Injector ramp is free but injectors must remain standard. The maximum cylinder capacity is set at 1050 cm3; turbo petrol permitted if from standard or manufacturer official kit, without any modification except these defined by manufacturer for kit installation. Intercooler of this turbo kit must be standard intercooler for that turbo vehicle where it derives from or being the one from standard homologated turbo vehicle. Manufacturer turbo kit allowed until 2019 included; then only standard homologated vehicles possible. The entire engine‐transmission assembly, including the front axle, must come from the concerned standard vehicle. In the case of turbo engine, intercooler must remain standard as well as its cooling system. The position of the intercooler is free but the diameter of the tubes must be the original diameter. Air filter and position free. Tube between air filter case & engine free and position free. Engine water radiator and fan(s) free, but air flow to this radiator should not pass through cockpit and so crew must be protected from any cooling liquid splash in case of leak. Water pump standard. Electric line for these fan(s) free.

Scanning through the Regs, some things I noticed, Wheel is maxed at out at 14" and the tire at 30". Stock wheel is larger than this, wonder if there will be brake clearance issues?
Must have 2 spare wheels.
Stock vehicle is right under minimum weight. With the 'Dakar add-ons' should be just above minimum, but not by too much.

Chris Tobin

I am excited to hear that RG is planning on returning to Dakar to compete, but do you guys really think he will do it in a UTV??? I would expect him to want to run for the overall not simply a "Class" win, after-all, doesn't he already have a Dakar Class win or two in the Hummer in the "SCORE Desert Class" or something like that? I know Textron is a sponsor of his, but I don't see RG running a UTV Class machine, it seemed like last year that class winner was like 10-hours down to the other class winners...

Bricoop

I am excited to hear that RG is planning on returning to Dakar to compete, but do you guys really think he will do it in a UTV??? I would expect him to want to run for the overall not simply a "Class" win, after-all, doesn't he already have a Dakar Class win or two in the Hummer in the "SCORE Desert Class" or something like that? I know Textron is a sponsor of his, but I don't see RG running a UTV Class machine, it seemed like last year that class winner was like 10-hours down to the other class winners...
I think there's a few things in play. I'd love to see a 2 car & 3 UTV Textron team. That'd make huge waves, but that's a pipe dream. The FIA/ASO needs to make up their mind as to what the vehicle requirements are going to be. Is it a 4wd turbo petrol going to be the standard? Tough to design a vehicle with this looming.

Short Bus

Aldo Racing - the Canadian team that used to race an older Overdrive Toyota, has a new car. They say they will be competingat the Silk Way. I don't know if Dakar is in their plans. They have a Century CR-6 buggy. Century is a South African builder.

ALDO Racing

Screenshot_20180421-203043.png

mattj112

Nice looking buggy there have developed car from the three prevision cars CR2,CR4&CR5 There have good finishing record for dakar top 20 in 2wd class with these cars but got to remember not burn reverse gear out of sadev gearbox on the dunes.

JDDurfey

Has there been any word on the basic route for next year or the countries involved? Last year we knew which countries would be raced in by this point.

Short Bus

Has there been any word on the basic route for next year or the countries involved? Last year we knew which countries would be raced in by this point.
I don't know if ASO officially announced the route yet, but last week some Ecuadorian officials announced that Ecuador had come to an agreement to host the Dakar Rally. If this is true, then Peru must also be involved again. For what it's worth, Ecuador doesn't really look to have anything resembling a desert. However, there is another ~500 miles of desert north of Lima in Peru that I don't believe they have ever raced in before.

peru.JPG

JDDurfey

Ecuador may be in the race similar to Paraguay a couple of years ago. Have the start and the prologue stage before heading into Peru.

You are correct about Ecuador not having much desert. The country is mountainous down the center with lower coastal regions the west and Amazon jungle to the east.