• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

TMorford

I've been following Brabec on social media since his first Dakar and it seems like this year he is doing a lot more rally raids and Dakar oriented training than before. Andrew Short seems to be doing the same as well...

Hog Wild

Yes, they are both very serious about Dakar. Yesterday they rode a gnarly roadbook training stage out of Pahrump, Nevada that took them 12 hours to complete. Jimmy Lewis is working with them this week on some advanced navigation skills.

This was the roadbook roll from yesterday, 50ft long!

just_a_fan

The Dakar Rally will set foot in Ecuador for the first time in 2019. Authorities from the South American country have themselves confirmed that the Dakar caravan will visit the South American country in 2019, as part of a possible route through Ecuador, Peru and Chile.

The Dakar Rally moved to South America in 2009 after the desert rally the year before was canceled due to terrorist threat in Africa. Since then, a large part of the rally has been held every year on Argentine territory, but according to various sources the country is not part of the route for the first time since moving to South America in 2019.

Due to the expected absence of Argentina there has been rumors for some time now that the Dakar Rally course will start running completely along the west coast of South America, with which the 'WRC trails' of Argentina will disappear and the rally for an even more a larger part will be driven entirely off-piste.

The rumors about the new course for 2019 have become a lot more concrete after Enrique Ponce De León, the Minister of Tourism in Ecuador, has confirmed that the Dakar Rally will actually visit his country in 2019. Exact details have not yet been announced, but it is reported that Dakar will start in Ecuador next year, after which the rally will cross the border to Peru after two stages.

After the start in Ecuador, a large part of the rally will probably be re-driven in Peru. The extremely difficult course and the Peruvian dunes were very popular with both the participants and the fans during the first week of Dakar 2018 last winter. The rally will then set course towards Chile, which will be part of the Dakar course again for the first time since 2015 in the second Dakar week.

With a trail through Peru and Chile, two countries where there is no shortage of towering dunes and vast desert plains, the course for Dakar 2019 on paper certainly promises to have a lot in store. Dakar-organizer ASO will come later this month with more clarity about the Dakar-route for 2019. Five-time Dakar-winner Marc Coma will in any case no longer be responsible for the layout of the course. The Spaniard stopped earlier this year as the race leader of the rally.

Short Bus

Other social media chatter I have read said ASO is still meeting with Bolivia as late as this week to try to make a deal to include that country.

It does feel later than usual to announce the basic route plan.

spalind

Mmmm....might want to hold off on those Dakar plans...they have postponed registration and are withdrawing notice of the route. Rumor is the various countries are not supportive of the costs the ASO is looking for. At the moment the only country on board is Peru. The rest have declined the ASO. Could be major shakeup coming.

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

Mmmm....might want to hold off on those Dakar plans...they have postponed registration and are withdrawing notice of the route. Rumor is the various countries are not supportive of the costs the ASO is looking for. At the moment the only country on board is Peru. The rest have declined the ASO. Could be major shakeup coming.
I think that is good, the ASO should be paying countries to put their race on, not the other way around!!!

The presentation of the route of the 2019 Dakar Rally scheduled for last Monday was postponed by organiser ASO after the last-minute withdrawal of Chile from the event.
Initial plans for the 41st edition of the Dakar included a new country - Ecuador - in a route that would cross the South American continent from south to north, incorporating Chile and Peru.

Conversations between ASO and various Latin American governments started after the end of the 2018 race from the end of January, with some preliminary talks having kicked off even earlier.

But the first setback was the decision of Marc Coma, sporting director for the last three editions, at the beginning of February not to continue in his position to undertake “personal projects".

Amid negotiations with the possible host countries, ASO had to start the search for a new sporting director, but as of now the role remains unfilled.

Dakar confirmed on social media that Peru will continue to be part of the event, although negotiations were delayed by the resignation of President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski at the end of March over a corruption scandal.

As of today, Peru is the only country officially confirmed for 2019.

The desire of the Dakar to return to Chile was made clear by race director Etienne Lavigne to Motorsport.com during the previous edition

spalind

so they have one country (maybe), no route, no sporting director, a collapsing government/economy in Argentina and a bunch of racers and sponsors who don't know what to do...so...other than the "Dakar" name and URL...what do they have really? If I was a competitor? I'd be looking at Silk Way and other events...

Dirty Harry

The presentation of the route of the 2019 Dakar Rally scheduled for last Monday was postponed by organiser ASO after the last-minute withdrawal of Chile from the event.
Wow that doesn't sound good at all! When Peru withdrew a couple of years ago, even with months to prepare the course still felt like an afterthought that was thrown together at the last minute.

Chris Tobin

Wow that doesn't sound good at all! When Peru withdrew a couple of years ago, even with months to prepare the course still felt like an afterthought that was thrown together at the last minute.
Sounds like the 2019 course will be thrown together at the last minute no matter what... especially if they haven't replaced Coma yet...

Chris Tobin

Have they made a decision about car mandates yet? 4wd Petrol was the rumor, but haven't heard much of late.
Wow, I forgot about those rumors... I'd say this late in the game they will use pretty much the same regulations as last year. To me it is too late in the game to make major sweeping changes... I would think that a team like Mini/X-Raid would be livid if they only had 6-7-months to go from 2 and 4WD Diesel vehicles to 4WD gassers of a different configuration and Dakar can't risk pissing off Mini now that Pug has left, they need Mini to fund a SUPER-TEAM and show up with the top-name drivers!!!