• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

Bricoop

Wow, I forgot about those rumors... I'd say this late in the game they will use pretty much the same regulations as last year. To me it is too late in the game to make major sweeping changes... I would think that a team like Mini/X-Raid would be livid if they only had 6-7-months to go from 2 and 4WD Diesel vehicles to 4WD gassers of a different configuration and Dakar can't risk pissing off Mini now that Pug has left, they need Mini to fund a SUPER-TEAM and show up with the top-name drivers!!!
We need Textron Off-Road to fund that SUPER-TEAM ;)

Unless a foreign sponsor shows up, I think this is the only way we see team RGM back out there. I'd like to think if Textron wants to go, they field a team of SxS and a Car or 2 (gotta enter multiple cars to have a chance). I don't see the ROI for Textron at Dakar, maybe if they had a Bell Helicopter SxS and a Cessna SxS, etc. If we don't see them at Dakar, hopefully we see them in the Sonora Rally.

Back to Reality. RG said he wants to build a <5,000lb 4x4. Is this a TT or a Dakar vehicle, or both? Says they will start the build this summer, so right on RGM schedule for a 2019 Dakar attempt ;)

Short Bus

I predict a lot of "clover leaf" stages that start and end at the same bivouac.
FWIW, Quito, Ecuador to Tacna, Peru (just north of Chile border) is 2000 miles via the Panamerican HWY. I could see a route starting and finishing in Ecuador, going down to the bottom of Peru and back. Stages criss-crossing the desert would add plenty of mileage. A few loops would help accumulate mileage as well. Based on previous Dakar stages in Peru, I won't complain if they run more there.

spalind

FWIW, Quito, Ecuador to Tacna, Peru (just north of Chile border) is 2000 miles via the Panamerican HWY. I could see a route starting and finishing in Ecuador, going down to the bottom of Peru and back. Stages criss-crossing the desert would add plenty of mileage. A few loops would help accumulate mileage as well. Based on previous Dakar stages in Peru, I won't complain if they run more there.
Is Ecuador back in? Last I heard only Peru was on board.

Dirty Harry

“This past January, the Dakar community was treated to a warm but demanding return to Peru, where they sometimes painfully discovered desert expanses as sumptuous as complicated to take on. The dunes in the Ica and Tanaka regions obliged humility and several rally-raid stars from Sébastien Loeb to Sam Sunderland, Nani Roma or Sergei Kariakin learned a costly lesson. The ten-stage rally-route of the 2019 edition will provide every competitor the opportunity to calm their nerves and work on their endurance in the sand. Each stage will be harder than the previous, which will create a suspense filled battle just until the final days. The predominantly sandy rally-route, on open terrain, will also feature every imaginable navigation subtlety. The new regions will complete the range of rally-raid constraints with faster tracks more tailored to pure racers. Having the skill to master it all will be the key for a successful return to Lima,”

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

TMorford

Sounds like a scare tactic against SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my initial thought as well. I skimmed the article, meaning I read the first two sentences, and it said African continent which means it might not even include stuff from "the good old days". If they are still waiting to fill Marc Coma's position they should look at JLS and combine it with the Eco-Race or whatever it's called.