• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

spalind

That was my initial thought as well. I skimmed the article, meaning I read the first two sentences, and it said African continent which means it might not even include stuff from "the good old days". If they are still waiting to fill Marc Coma's position they should look at JLS and combine it with the Eco-Race or whatever it's called.
Agree...merge the two. The number of competitors would rise substantially. You never saw a giant increase in racers from North and South America when it came over here. I bet any that you lose by moving back are more than made up for by the Euros, Russians, Chinese and Africans that you get to enter. Still think it makes a great terrorist target but...If SA wants to play chicken...its a game I bet they lose.

Dirty Harry

Agree...merge the two. The number of competitors would rise substantially. You never saw a giant increase in racers from North and South America when it came over here.
I don't think that is entirely accurate. While there were not many more North American competitors, there were a number of South Americans in the race, particularly on bikes and quads. Far more than Africans in the past, but I don't know if their numbers match the loss of European competitors.

If the race goes back to Africa I will absolutely figure out a way to get there to cover it. I never thought I would have the opportunity.

Chris Tobin

I don't think that is entirely accurate. While there were not many more North American competitors, there were a number of South Americans in the race, particularly on bikes and quads. Far more than Africans in the past, but I don't know if their numbers match the loss of European competitors.

If the race goes back to Africa I will absolutely figure out a way to get there to cover it. I never thought I would have the opportunity.
I could help funding a TINY bit by having you cover some of the highlights of the diesel powered rigs and maybe even a feature or two with Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine... but my budget is very low and the page rate for pay isn't exactly terrific!!!!

Dirty Harry

I could help funding a TINY bit by having you cover some of the highlights of the diesel powered rigs and maybe even a feature or two with Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine... but my budget is very low and the page rate for pay isn't exactly terrific!!!!
Thanks Chris, that is very generous of you. Every little bit helps!

Ferrari333SP

Robby Gordon just posted on his Instagram that he's looking to hire two engineers for Speed Engineering and Robby Gordon Motorsports, and one of the jobs listed they'll be working on is "Dakar Rally", which means a future Dakar effort is still in the plans for him, whatever that looks like

spalind

Robby Gordon just posted on his Instagram that he's looking to hire two engineers for Speed Engineering and Robby Gordon Motorsports, and one of the jobs listed they'll be working on is "Dakar Rally", which means a future Dakar effort is still in the plans for him, whatever that looks like
Damn it...you got here with this before I did...maybe he's on like a 15 year plan...when Max turns 20 he'll go off to Dakar...

Ferrari333SP

I think doing Dakar with Max will always been in the plan, having brought him along on a few in SA; he'd love to do one with him, even at his older age.

Dirty Harry

I think doing Dakar with Max will always been in the plan, having brought him along on a few in SA; he'd love to do one with him, even at his older age.
Are you sure? Max definitely wasn't with him on his last effort with Sheldon Creed.

Bricoop

Gotta be 18 to run Dakar. I think Max will probably OA a Baja race before then. He got to drive the prerunner in baja last week.

Sheldon currently holds the record of youngest competitor (18). BTW- have you guys seen Sheldon is 2nd in ARCA points? Was leading up until last week. His team seems to have the most competitive cars, often sweeping the podium. He's made some great saves.

Looking forward to reading more about this effort.

Short Bus

Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes with RGM, but based on the appearance of past efforts, hiring engineering help now would fit the timeline for preparing for the next Dakar in 1/2019.

For sake of discussion, if you are designing a car for Dakar from scratch, knowing it will be taking place entirely in Peru (huge dunes, lots of off-piste/less WRCish, altitude is less of an issue) what do you build?

Chris Tobin

Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes with RGM, but based on the appearance of past efforts, hiring engineering help now would fit the timeline for preparing for the next Dakar in 1/2019.

For sake of discussion, if you are designing a car for Dakar from scratch, knowing it will be taking place entirely in Peru (huge dunes, lots of off-piste/less WRCish, altitude is less of an issue) what do you build?
The Hummbuggy and let that sucker EAT!!!

RG does very well in the dunes with a 2WD rear engine ride with the tire inflation/deflation system onboard. I'd like to see more/competitive power and less fuel issues though. Of course if it were a diesel engine I'd be happy!

Maybe he should get GM behind his effort again and build a Chevy Equinox or Colorado looking Truck/SUV with the 2.8L 4cyl diesel or the upcoming 3.0L 6cyl diesel. I don't think the new 1.6L 4cyl has enough oomf for a racer but the bigger ones should be stout and reliable!

Bricoop

I bet a lot of this is to support the manufacturing of wildcat accessory parts. Let the cream of the crop move onto the race vehicles. Total guess.

The Hummbuggy and let that sucker EAT!!!

RG does very well in the dunes with a 2WD rear engine ride with the tire inflation/deflation system onboard. I'd like to see more/competitive power and less fuel issues though. Of course if it were a diesel engine I'd be happy!

Maybe he should get GM behind his effort again and build a Chevy Equinox or Colorado looking Truck/SUV with the 2.8L 4cyl diesel or the upcoming 3.0L 6cyl diesel. I don't think the new 1.6L 4cyl has enough oomf for a racer but the bigger ones should be stout and reliable!
I'm betting the design is based on the wildcat layout. Sounds crazy I know, but I think it could happen. I also wonder if the Dakar rig and the new TT could be one in the same? The TT is going to be under 5K lbs, right in line with Dakar specs. Or maybe he'll build 2, a Dakar version and a high HP/high travel version.

michael_loomis

Ya, but a TT at 5k lbs still needs to add a large amount of Dakar necessities. Now you’re up to 6500+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk