• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2019 Thread

Dirty Harry

It is pretty nuts that Peru would have to spend $6M to get the race to come there. Last year's race was a great one but I see some big changes coming to the rally in the near future. They don't seem to have a choice.

TMorford

Does anyone know if the African countries had to pay to play back in the day? Im just thinking that Peru now is probably better off than Africa then, even by a little...

I still think the ASO should fill Coma's position with JLS and move it back to Africa after 2019 since they are having issues getting it together in South America and as far as I can tell won't have any outstanding contracts. JLS was around (obviously) for the good old days and knows what Dakar is all about. Plus he already has connections in place with the Africa Eco Race. I'll keep dreaming...

Dirty Harry

Does anyone know if the African countries had to pay to play back in the day? Im just thinking that Peru now is probably better off than Africa then, even by a little...
They did not, but I think that the host/start country might have. Back in 2010 this made sense for Argentina and Chile but these days ASO needs them more than the countries need the Rally. Other than at the start and finish not that much money is really spent in these towns. The bivouacs are self contained and closed to the public. And ASO even discourages tourists from following the race, which doesn’t help the local economy. Add spectator and public road fatalities and I can see why countries wouldn’t want to pay to host the race.

TMorford

They did not, but I think that the host/start country might have. Back in 2010 this made sense for Argentina and Chile but these days ASO needs them more than the countries need the Rally. Other than at the start and finish not that much money is really spent in these towns. The bivouacs are self contained and closed to the public. And ASO even discourages tourists from following the race, which doesn’t help the local economy. Add spectator and public road fatalities and I can see why countries wouldn’t want to pay to host the race.
Makes sense when you consider where the ASO is based and where the ceremonial start was most of the time... I remember watching a Dakar documentary on Youtube (that I would link if I could find it again) that briefly talked about the bivouacs going from open to the public to self contained like you say and the problems that caused in the North African countries. Basically letting them tear through the desert and towns with no upside as food, gas etc was all brought and not purchased locally.

Bricoop

I was under the impression the ASO posted suggested spectator viewing areas? I agree with your point regarding ROI.

Dirty Harry

I was under the impression the ASO posted suggested spectator viewing areas? I agree with your point regarding ROI.
They do post spectator viewing areas, you are correct. The first time I went in 2010 though there were tons of guys on adventure motorcyles following the rally from town to town. Since then though that is nearly non-existant, and my understanding is that ASO has done whatever they can to discourage this sort of tourism, I assume because they don't make any money from it.

Short Bus

Already asked...Unfortunately it will be your typical LS3 powered vehicle...with a Nissan Qashqai bonnet....Boooooooo
Yeah, I didn't really expect much more than just last year's car being rebodied. But it would be nice to think Nissan might at least throw them a few VK56s.

Does anyone know if Jefferies will still involved with prep and support with the Colonels?

Is he just messing with us?

Does Dakar have a minimum age requirement??? How old is Max now? Does he even have his driver's license yet? I'm thinking he is 10-12 or so, but I could be wrong...

Even if he is not actually racing, I'm sure Max will be there if Robby is there!

Short Bus

Does Dakar have a minimum age requirement??? How old is Max now? Does he even have his driver's license yet? I'm thinking he is 10-12 or so, but I could be wrong...

Even if he is not actually racing, I'm sure Max will be there if Robby is there!
I think they have to be 18. I remember when Sheldon Creed raced that the minimum age rule was discussed.