The "Official" Dakar 2020 Thread

randy s

Reaction
y
is robby racing
you know?..i'm pretty sure that this raid has more yanks competing than ever and i think that that can be attributed almost entirely to robby gordon's participation over the years..there's an empty hole in this year's event and hopefully next go round, rg will be back to fill it. gas on migo

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
@Klaus - no stage posting this year? I know you said rdc were pulling back a bit but thought you'd said you'd still post days stage info etc.
The SA timezone difference actually threw me off this year....plus I have to admit I am less excited compared to previous years. I am sure the excitement will come back once I see multimedia of actual race vehicles. Need to warm up to it..sorry guys. Building Stage2 thread now.

Last edited:

mrlentle

Reaction
The SA timezone difference actually threw me off this year....plus I have to admit I am a less excited compared to previous years. I am sure the excitement will come back once I see multimedia of actual race vehicles. Need to warm up to it..sorry guys. Building Stage2 thread now.
Thanks @Klaus
Timezone doesn't work dso much down here either - in SA it worded that I'd get up at 6am and read through a lot of the days posts and usually be able to join in the end of day banter.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Mitchie, and Short had solid days. Casey and Ricky had an excellent day. Blade and Robbie Pierce a bit further back. Can't wait for stage 2 and for tomorrow's TV update. Woot!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Mitchie, and Short had solid days. Casey and Ricky had an excellent day. Blade and Robbie Pierce a bit further back. Can't wait for stage 2 and for tomorrow's TV update. Woot!
Where is it on tour TV or better yet on the internets?

bajaherbie

Reaction
Two episodes tomorrow, 4 and 4:30 pm Central Time. Then it goes to one 30 minute show daily for Tues, Wed, and Thursday. Fridays show starts a 8 pm Central. 10 pm for Saturdays show!

There is a live Barrett-Jackson auction next weekend on the same channel.

BajaFand

Reaction
Kind of a bummer, I know we’re only 2 days into the rally but the fan-posted pictures and YouTube videos we got used to in South America are pretty much non-existent from KSA. I’ve searched YouTube with absolutely no luck except stuff posted by ASO or fan vids from previous years. Maybe I’m not searching correctly?

Does KSA control the internet to the extent that we will never get much, or will it just take time for the race to gain a fanbase there for us to get more spectator footage?

Hog Wild

Reaction
Kind of a bummer, I know we’re only 2 days into the rally but the fan-posted pictures and YouTube videos we got used to in South America are pretty much non-existent from KSA. I’ve searched YouTube with absolutely no luck except stuff posted by ASO or fan vids from previous years. Maybe I’m not searching correctly?
ما هي المصطلحات التي تبحث عنها. ربما تحتاج إلى تغيير اللغات!

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction

Hog Wild

Reaction
ASO is REALLY on it this year! They now use a metal detector to check to see who has steel balls, so they know who they should have the camera helicopter following.

They also may check for hidden smart phones or other not-allowed GPS and electronic devices.

SteveRacer

Reaction

Does KSA control the internet to the extent that we will never get much, or will it just take time for the race to gain a fanbase there for us to get more spectator footage?
This sucks. Kind of tough to grow your fan base when even your current fans cannot find info.

SteveRacer

Reaction
According to tracking there are 14 Americans in the race but I am only counting 10. Maybe it is accounting for navigators?

5 in bikes: Short, Howes, Brabec, McCoy and Poucher

4 in SxS: Jones, Currie, Hildebrand and Guthrie

1 in Cars: Patton

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
There aren’t millions of people speculating as in South America unfortunately - hence the lack of fan stuff. i hear more what is going on via RDZ than in the bivouac! People are generally so busy rebuilding and / or repairing themselves. Bikes always go first so we’re up first light and don’t really get to see the cars.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
There aren’t millions of people speculating as in South America unfortunately - hence the lack of fan stuff. i hear more what is going on via RDZ than in the bivouac! People are generally so busy rebuilding and / or repairing themselves. Bikes always go first so we’re up first light and don’t really get to see the cars.

Thanks for the updates. Great to hear your point of view.

spalind

Reaction
According to tracking there are 14 Americans in the race but I am only counting 10. Maybe it is accounting for navigators?

5 in bikes: Short, Howes, Brabec, McCoy and Poucher

4 in SxS: Jones, Currie, Hildebrand and Guthrie

1 in Cars: Patton

They counting Petr Vleck as an American? As I keep saying...he is from South Carolina...