• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2020 Thread

michael_loomis

Totally not worth it IMO. If you're going to do this right it needs to be built from scratch. Why cut something up that wasn't made to be?
Mainly because the SST chassis don’t need to be cut up. They are already modular. Design a new rear section and roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGFan

Mainly because the SST chassis don’t need to be cut up. They are already modular. Design a new rear section and roll.

Funny you brought up the modularity of it......When he was talking about the IRS being better in the sand and the solid axle being better on the gravel roads (I know results may say otherwise), what if he were to make 2 different clips and swap back and forth based on the stage.....…...INSANE thought I know. But the front engine design would allow it, a mid or rear engine would not. Would ASO even allow that?

michael_loomis

You can even keep it linked in the back so it’s like a giant Textron/RZR rear. Mount a Weismann differential back there, a couple links...

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
You can even keep it linked in the back so it’s like a giant Textron/RZR rear. Mount a Weismann differential back there, a couple links...

have those diffs been proven to work in the desert with big power??? jus asking

michael_loomis

have those diffs been proven to work in the desert with big power??? jus asking
Well.. a whole fleet of 900hp Trophy Trucks coming out with them up front. I’m sure a 36mm restricted crate engine would be okay. I also think the tire size should come down for handling. 35’s.

Last edited:

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Africa please, thanks

still not a lot of stability in africa these days I just saw on the news one of my fellow countrymen that had been kidknapped there was just found killed by a organization with links to isis.................... if there killing canadians they've got some serious mommy isues

Last edited:

NIKAL

What about a mid engine Hummer? I would think it would handle on the gravel roads better, and still run in the dunes better then a solid axle.

Servicing the clutch & changing out gearboxes during the rally would be so much easier. Plus it would give more room for the spare tires. It could be trailing arm or linked similar to the new Jimco class 1 car.

michael_loomis

What about a mid engine Hummer? I would think it would handle on the gravel roads better, and still run in the dunes better then a solid axle.

Servicing the clutch & changing out gearboxes during the rally would be so much easier. Plus it would give more room for the spare tires. It could be trailing arm or linked similar to the new Jimco class 1 car.
That would be my ultimate car. Mid engine Hammerhead.

Bricoop

It's too bad the landshark isn't around. I've thought that would be an exceptional platform for a gravel heavy Dakar.

michael_loomis

It's too bad the landshark isn't around. I've thought that would be an exceptional platform for a gravel heavy Dakar.
The what? The Landshark as in Truggy?

That would be terrible. It’s just a body less TT..

randy s

if we're actually being honest, and RG really wants to win dakar, he needs to partner up with toyota or whoever peterhansel and them decides to align themselves with and do more raids...no more last minute gordinis, dated 4x2 hummers or golf carts..or commit to legit multicar purpose built team with sponsorship from a major player like toyota or whoever the flavor of the year might be..i know it sounds silly but no sillier than most of the ideas i'm reading here...

Bull-dust

Does Casey Currie have a long term plan to win the overall at Dakar? A few years in SXS to win a SXS title before trying a car category?

I see the T-6 Ford Ranger road pickup is near/ on sale in North America. That is 'close to' the 'Ford Ranger' that nwm -Neil Woolridge Motorsports makes as the FIA T1/ South African offroad championship machine. (facebook nwm shows a few new frames being welded up for 2019)
Ford Ranger (Americas) - Wikipedia (sold in North America with 2.3 Ecoboost)
New 2019 Ford Ranger Truck | Buy New Ford Trucks in Lititz, PA

For a dakar proto similar to Fuchs (Dakar 2019 - proto 10th OA - 380hp coyote) power with a 3rd gen coyote with direct injection or develop the 3 liter v6 power stroke diesel used in the F150. with Xtrac Rally Raid driveline.

The Australians managed to fit the coyote V8 into a road going PX-6 Ford Ranger (Thailand) supercharged coyote with 460 horsepower with heavy duty ZF auto.

Ford and VW are going to co-operate in various markets to develop vans and pickups.

Someone might be able to talk this guy into a Dakar run rather than Siberia (if things are not too peachy with the ruskies)
Glickenhaus Confirms That The New SCG Boot Will Enter The 2019 Baja 1000

Last edited: