The "Official" Dakar 2021 Thread

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Would be cool if in the future there could be some "Dakar Premium" feature you could pay for, where you could get live video feeds from any of the helicopters on the course throughout the day. I hate only getting like 30 seconds of seeing any top vehicle racing through the dunes; or having a 4-5 stage summed up in just 5 minutes. For a two week event I'd easily pay $50 for this feature

PathfinderCS

Reaction
Would be cool if in the future there could be some "Dakar Premium" feature you could pay for, where you could get live video feeds from any of the helicopters on the course throughout the day. I hate only getting like 30 seconds of seeing any top vehicle racing through the dunes; or having a 4-5 stage summed up in just 5 minutes. For a two week event I'd easily pay $50 for this feature

I really hope something like that can be done! The WRC already does something like this where they cover every stage of the season live. I doubt they could go fully in-depth like that with a long rally raid stage, but some accessible coverage would be good!

I have a feeling that we may get something in the future. If the Dakar is integrated in both the FIA and FIM championships then I could see an OTT service like WRC+ or F1TV coming for the Dakar and other FIA/FIM raids! Dakar already has their own broadcast crew and they do a damn good job.

GEO_DXB

Reaction
do you guys know (and you should) that these pass in the vicinity of military bases, pipelines, oil refineries and what not that is not for the public eye. Dakar itself this year was on and around a bunch of military objects... The heli coverage will never happen. Although it is either heli or drone that made the pic still of fallen Goncalves that is circulated around...

vegasloki

Reaction
Over here we get desert racing shots live from the air near much larger more secretive facilities than anything over there. In fact the weapons systems the Saudis are using have likely been developed in a couple of these places. That said I don’t see opening up for aerial live streams. While what I’ve read from all the competitors is that the locals and host were bend over backwards friendly it’s still a very repressive authoritarian state. They are using this and other means to butter us up as they are now trying to sell tourism. I’m with Klaus on this one.

GEO_DXB

Reaction
Over here we get desert racing shots live from the air near much larger more secretive facilities than anything over there. In fact the weapons systems the Saudis are using have likely been developed in a couple of these places. That said I don’t see opening up for aerial live streams. While what I’ve read from all the competitors is that the locals and host were bend over backwards friendly it’s still a very repressive authoritarian state. They are using this and other means to butter us up as they are now trying to sell tourism. I’m with Klaus on this one.
I dont agree with you. Nothing to do with regime, all to do with security rules and regulations. We are not allowed to pass near oil facilities and refineries and if we do and are caught then we use the "get out of jail" letter from organizers. Same with Saudi.

vegasloki

Reaction
If you get caught in a restricted area at Nellis or Area 51 there is no get out of jail card from the promoters. You’ll be in custody for a while. The Saudis could have helo streaming they just choose not too. Security is a red herring. There are commercial sat images of that part of the country for those that and access them.

spalind

Reaction
I am hoping they expand the sandbox to Jordan and...gasp!! Israel...

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
I dont agree with you. Nothing to do with regime, all to do with security rules and regulations. We are not allowed to pass near oil facilities and refineries and if we do and are caught then we use the "get out of jail" letter from organizers. Same with Saudi.

Follow the Vegas to Reno race and you'll understand. The Nevada desert is the birthplace of much of the most secretive technologies on the planet. Don't get dust on the solar panels and have at it.

PathfinderCS

Reaction
I bet a country like Jordan would be very welcoming to having the Dakar there as well

IIRC I thought there were rumors that Saudi was open to allowing the ASO to expand the Dakar to other countries in the region; with Jordan being mentioned as one (and it helps that they host a FIA/FIM Baja round). Would be good to see; a marathon should not be confined to one country.

mrlentle

Reaction
The terrain this year looked stunning and really opened my eyes to how beautiful Saudi actually is. On the racing side, it looked to provide plenty of challenges for competitors and though the spectator numbers are low compared to Africa/South America, the positive side to that is there's less chance of people getting hurt. It wasn't uncommon in Africa for children to be hit by cars/bikes coming though villages.

If they can open it up to more countries in the Middle East, fantastic. Really impressed this year and good to see them working harder on cheating etc too.

Last edited:

spalind

Reaction
Anyone catch Alexander Rossi's comments this weekend? He is putting together a multi-year Dakar effort. He was watching Alonso closely and wants to jump in as well. Looks like the desert bug got him BAD.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Anyone catch Alexander Rossi's comments this weekend? He is putting together a multi-year Dakar effort. He was watching Alonso closely and wants to jump in as well. Looks like the desert bug got him BAD.

The article I read on Racer said he was thinking he would be able to do it in 3-4 years. I didn’t see anything about a multi year deal. He had an offer for 2020 he couldn’t fit in.