• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2021 Thread

BajaFand

Honda Ridgeline effort? I think NA is the only place they market them? Maybe Honda is going all in with the Talon by then?

Fourstroker

Why would it be a Honda Talon? He can rent anything he wants...
Rossi has been racing the Honda Ridgeline in Baja with the Honda factory team including Michael Loomis who posted above

GEO_DXB

Rossi has been racing the Honda Ridgeline in Baja with the Honda factory team including Michael Loomis who posted above
Talon in its current setup would be Open Class and not competitive. It's an interesting platform for a smaller and lighter truck but would have to fit Dakar regs for T1 cars to have any serious impact. Rossi can get a ride with any competitive team without having to build a new car. This would make sense. Look at Patton/Pierce. They went with Overdrive and had first hand experience with a team that has all the Dakar experience. Now they learnt their way and can decide if they want to carry on with a rental or go standalone effort if they want to.

BajaFand

Talon in its current setup would be Open Class and not competitive. It's an interesting platform for a smaller and lighter truck but would have to fit Dakar regs for T1 cars to have any serious impact. Rossi can get a ride with any competitive team without having to build a new car. This would make sense. Look at Patton/Pierce. They went with Overdrive and had first hand experience with a team that has all the Dakar experience. Now they learnt their way and can decide if they want to carry on with a rental or go standalone effort if they want to.
I completely agree with you. I’m just thinking of his relationship with Honda and if that were to still be around in 3-4 years when he’s ready I don’t think Honda wants to see him drive a Toyota or Mini bodied/engine vehicle. Perhaps Honda could contract with X-raid or Overdrive to build a Honda platform?