• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2021 Thread

GEO_DXB

New truck with the design of the LoneStar International

i've posted a thread about it. they will use it at MDC as far as I understand. Not sure if they do Dakar.
Truck-wise - De Rooy sold his IRS truck to Firemen Dakar Team and they will participate in Dakar with it.

fernischumi

i've posted a thread about it. they will use it at MDC as far as I understand. Not sure if they do Dakar.
Truck-wise - De Rooy sold his IRS truck to Firemen Dakar Team and they will participate in Dakar with it.
Yes, and the Renault Sherpa of Martin van den Brink (Mammoet) was sold to China.

82261469_2676819805736030_1209365771537350656_o.jpg

fernischumi

SILK WAY RALLY 2020 Cancelled

On 27 May, following the recommendations of the Russian Ministry of Sport and the Russian Automotive Federation, the Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, D.N. Tchernychenko, ratified the decision to cancel the rally’s tenth edition that should be run from July 2 to 11, 2020

The health of the participants and the public being the absolute priority, the Race Direction understands this decision, taken after an in-depth study of the situation and numerous consultations with all the authorities concerned.

Despite the huge amount of preparation undertaken by the organisation teams, the organisers are still confronted by numerous uncertainties concerning crossing borders, air traffic restrictions and other different quarantine measures still in force in Russia for foreign citizens.

Both a round of the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship and the FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies, the tenth edition of the Silk Way Rally, that should have run from Moscow to Kazan in 8 stages, is therefore cancelled.

As early as next week the organisation committee will meet to start work on preparing the 2021 edition of the Silk Way Rally.

GEO_DXB

China being open seems to help - Jean-Marc from Overdrive said that they are sending a number of cars this week to Chinese customers. Go figure. Some are looking at selling it all just ot survive (like me), some buy new cars. Markus Walcher went from his Desert Warrior to Nissan VK50 and then in a few days suddenly bought a VK56. A couple of CR6 buggies seem to be delivered to someone, Red Lined )Nissan) is prepping another couple of VK56. Interesting times.

fernischumi

China being open seems to help - Jean-Marc from Overdrive said that they are sending a number of cars this week to Chinese customers. Go figure. Some are looking at selling it all just ot survive (like me), some buy new cars. Markus Walcher went from his Desert Warrior to Nissan VK50 and then in a few days suddenly bought a VK56. A couple of CR6 buggies seem to be delivered to someone, Red Lined )Nissan) is prepping another couple of VK56. Interesting times.
Overdrive had a deal to build new cars for the chinese company BAIC.

BTW, the new electric buggy from Guerlain Chicherit.

EZGHYugXsAAijJk (1).jpg

EZBPc1zWkAAPQBy.jpg

Class10DAN

im no Dakar guy (though it would be nice), but will mini have a team for the '21 Dakar or no?

fernischumi

im no Dakar guy (though it would be nice), but will mini have a team for the '21 Dakar or no?
X-Raid Newsletter 11. April, 2020

CROSS COUNTRY RALLYES – THE FUTURE
At the last meeting of the World Council, the FIA made a number of decisions regarding the future of cross country rallying.
As it stands, it was decided to maintain the Balance of Performance between the 4×4 and two-wheel drive buggies. This way, all participants have planning security until the end of 2022. This decision allows us to continue to compete at the front of the field with the MINI JCW Buggy and the MINI JCW Rally.

Whether this changes after the 2022 season, and what form the regulations may take after that point, depends on the development of and demand for the 4×4 class. If there is sufficient competition at a high level within the 4×4 classes, this category could take centre stage from 2023. However, this will require several manufacturers to build and use vehicles at a professional level.

In this context, the orientation of the ASO (organiser of the Dakar) should always be taken into account, whose regulations are very similar to the FIA rules, but may also differ. As far as we know, there are tendencies in the ASO to continue to let both concepts compete against each other at top level. Especially since buggies can be better adapted for alternative or hybrid drives due to their design and weight.

Class10DAN

X-Raid Newsletter 11. April, 2020

CROSS COUNTRY RALLYES – THE FUTURE
At the last meeting of the World Council, the FIA made a number of decisions regarding the future of cross country rallying.
As it stands, it was decided to maintain the Balance of Performance between the 4×4 and two-wheel drive buggies. This way, all participants have planning security until the end of 2022. This decision allows us to continue to compete at the front of the field with the MINI JCW Buggy and the MINI JCW Rally.

Whether this changes after the 2022 season, and what form the regulations may take after that point, depends on the development of and demand for the 4×4 class. If there is sufficient competition at a high level within the 4×4 classes, this category could take centre stage from 2023. However, this will require several manufacturers to build and use vehicles at a professional level.

In this context, the orientation of the ASO (organiser of the Dakar) should always be taken into account, whose regulations are very similar to the FIA rules, but may also differ. As far as we know, there are tendencies in the ASO to continue to let both concepts compete against each other at top level. Especially since buggies can be better adapted for alternative or hybrid drives due to their design and weight.
thanks, i thought that the minis were cool but i thought they couldn't compete due to rules being changed but i guess not. thanks again

GEO_DXB

They seem to have Peterhansel and Sainz signed for 2021 Dakar.
Future 2WD changes are not (as of yet) integrated into ASO (Dakar) regulations, they were only announced for FIA races - Cross Country Rallies and Bajas World Cups and as of now there are no exact details of how these changes will be implemented. One way is to ban Priority FIA racers from using 2WD buggies, but so far no real confirmations from FIA. They might also be excluded from Manufacturers results.

fernischumi

They seem to have Peterhansel and Sainz signed for 2021 Dakar.
Future 2WD changes are not (as of yet) integrated into ASO (Dakar) regulations, they were only announced for FIA races - Cross Country Rallies and Bajas World Cups and as of now there are no exact details of how these changes will be implemented. One way is to ban Priority FIA racers from using 2WD buggies, but so far no real confirmations from FIA. They might also be excluded from Manufacturers results.
If you put the Dakar in the World Cup calendar or in the future World Rally Cross-Country Championship (Jutta Kleinschmidt was woking in this), you would need to adopt the technical regulations of the FIA...

fernischumi

Nani Roma and Kris Meeke linked with the new team Prodrive/Bahrain. The car will be a 4x4 and will be launched in august.

Bricoop

I believe RG will be bringing their new UTV to Dakar. IF it's reliable, it should have an upperhand on the competition. There's a rule allowing bio-fuels if they are petitioned. I don't see any reason they shouldn't allow it as avgas is permitted (other than RG being the one to submit the request).

mrlentle

I believe RG will be bringing their new UTV to Dakar. IF it's reliable, it should have an upperhand on the competition. There's a rule allowing bio-fuels if they are petitioned. I don't see any reason they shouldn't allow it as avgas is permitted (other than RG being the one to submit the request).
Does the number that're being manufactured also benefit RG in regard to homologation etc? I'm assuming UTV class has to be production based etc?

Bricoop

Does the number that're being manufactured also benefit RG in regard to homologation etc? I'm assuming UTV class has to be production based etc?
500 units within 12 months. They expect to surpass that many deliveries before the race.

Yes, many parts must be oem. RG's ECU should be able to help as it automatically adjusts to different fuel, I'm not sure if it is programmed to adjust the tune based on altitude, I would assume the fuel/air mixture will automatically be adjusted based on O2 sensors.

GEO_DXB

AVGAS in Saudi ? good luck... Its late night, but i will post a photo of a typical Saudi petrol station tomorrow.

Bricoop

I'm not suggesting that, I'm just saying it's allowed per the rules, as are other alternative fuels. (RG's new UTV reportedly makes 225HP on pump gas and 300 on E85). Who knows where that ends up with a racing tune.