The "Official" Dakar 2022 Thread

bajaherbie

Reaction
Robby!, Robby, Robby!

Even if it is a "lightweight vehicle"....

mrlentle

Reaction
Here's hoping if RG is back he's had the time to properly test the new vehicle. Specs on his UTVs are interesting though I have no idea how much they'd have to restrict them (across the board, not just engine) to be ASO legal.

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Has RG stated if he intends to mainly sell his UTV's in the US? Or internationally as well? Dakar would be a great marketing platform, but have no idea how compliant his UTV is to Dakar LWV rules. This Saudi landscape though would be absolutely perfect for the Hummer though, but that'd be an expensive rig to build/develop again.

In any case, reallyyyyy hope we get a new winner next year

BajaFand

Reaction
Robby replied to a Jesse Jones Instagram post last week that he has an vehicle idea and a plan for next year but didn’t say what any of that was. Whatever it is I hope he’s already starting on it and has something going by summer, the last minute 2019 Speedcat program was a joke. But knowing Robby he’s always last minute so I’m sure it’ll come down to next fall if it happens.

Bricoop

Reaction
Has RG stated if he intends to mainly sell his UTV's in the US? Or internationally as well? Dakar would be a great marketing platform, but have no idea how compliant his UTV is to Dakar LWV rules. This Saudi landscape though would be absolutely perfect for the Hummer though, but that'd be an expensive rig to build/develop again.

In any case, reallyyyyy hope we get a new winner next year
There are international dealers. Including Skyline Abu Dhabi. RG stated if he runs a car again the build will be a modified hummer design.

Based on my reading of the rules, there isn't anything that directly violates the SXS rules. The SpeedUTV is quite similar to the Speedcat/XX/Whatever that was run in '19. The engine and gearbox are the most different components, but they appear within spec based on my recollection of the regulations.

Bricoop

Reaction
Robby replied to a Jesse Jones Instagram post last week that he has an vehicle idea and a plan for next year but didn’t say what any of that was. Whatever it is I hope he’s already starting on it and has something going by summer, the last minute 2019 Speedcat program was a joke. But knowing Robby he’s always last minute so I’m sure it’ll come down to next fall if it happens.
IMO, putting on the big tires was their biggest mistake. Between the tires and the Turbo the trans couldn't handle them and it wasn't close. The stock XX came with 30" UTV tires. I believe they tried to run the rally with 32" truck tires. 100% a guess, but I think that decision was made due to rally sponsorship (Toyo didn't have a UTV tire at that time per my recollection).

Bricoop

Reaction
Personally, if I'm RG (who obviosuly doesn't give 2 poops about my thoughts), is to focus 100% on Speed UTV. Start working now on finding arrive-and-race drivers. Try and get 3-5 vehicles to the '21 race and hope you can put on a good showing. Use that publicity to drive dealer sales and expand the arrive-and-race business. For '22 build cars that look like the enclosed model of the SpeedUTV to continue the marketing effort while continuing to expand the arrive-and-race program. I believe they are going to roll out an arrive-and-race program for US races.

Resources diverted to anything other then the SPEEDUTV program are a waste (my meaningless opinion).

spalind

Reaction
2022...the year a Nissan returns to actually race again!!

JDDurfey

Reaction
How many of the American UTV (light vehicle) racers will be able to return for next year. I know Dakar is a steep learning curve, but a number of the Americans did not fair so well this year. Will they be able to get the backing to make another attempt at it? And do they want to go? Only time will tell.

I personally would like to see Robby win Dakar. He has tried with Volkswagen. He tried with his Hummer. He tried with the Gordini. He tried with the UTV. I think Saudi Arabia would be the perfect setting for a Hummer come back. He did pretty well in South America when the terrain was more open. But a lot of South America was on narrow twisty tracks. I don't care what he gun he brings to the fight, but he needs to stick with it and perfect it until he can win.

I know winning is half luck and half preparation, and at times it seems like he lacks on the preparation side of things. Sheldon Creed is a perfect example. Sheldon had never even driven the Gordini before he landed in Argentina the first time he raced it. To me that is a "lack of preparation". Maybe the UTV program will be different. I hope so.

I know there are a lot of Robby "haters" out there. And I am not his biggest fan by far. But after all the times it has appeared the ASO was out to get him and find ways to slow him down it would be nice to see him beat the Europeans at their game while playing by their rules.

spalind

Reaction
Currie I bet might return next year with his new sponsor...

ISRengine

Reaction
I hope a longer battle, with other driver than Carlos, Nasser and Stephane, I was sure the Hilux with their major evolution this year was able to close de gap, they have did good performance, 9 Hilux have win a stage in 2021! but lack of consitency and tire have made Nasser lost, I don't know what will be done for 4wd tires, Loeb and other driver have made lot of flat. We have discover good driver, Lategan was fast! Baragwanath in the Century buggy did great, those Century if they continue their evolution with good driver like Serradori we will have surprise.

RG I hope he will be back, in SSV? his place is in T1, buisness wise (for RG Motorsports) building a large team of Wildcat SSV would be great for futur but the opponent South racing will be tough to beat you need more than 2-3 ssv then media coverage even with the prototype class the official coverage is poor. Why RG build 2-3 t1 buggy that look like a Wildcat?or a new hummer with the help of GM to compete with Audi and their Hybrid technologie

The window is open for a win in 2022, Sven Quandt with Q-Motorsport will work with Audi, Audi build in house their Dakar project Q-motorsport will help with their expertise, in parallel X-raid will continue, with a new car it will be easier to beat Audi but after thise ouch, we know how they have dominated at Lemans

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction

dbq61537

Reaction
Was reading this regarding the buggies vs the 4x4

Great article.

Nassar, put it well...the 4x4’s, have distinct disadvantage.

Even with the speeds limited (totally against that personally)...the Buggies could get to speed faster, and were more nimble.

I know they called Peterhansal’s car a “MINI”...but it looked nothing like it. I personally like the cars that look, like a car/truck.

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
BMW should have completely ditched the Mini idea on conception and stayed with their BMW X5 program instead for Dakar; makes 0 sense whatsoever to use the Mini brand at Dakar

mrlentle

Reaction
I hope a longer battle, with other driver than Carlos, Nasser and Stephane, I was sure the Hilux with their major evolution this year was able to close de gap, they have did good performance, 9 Hilux have win a stage in 2021! but lack of consitency and tire have made Nasser lost, I don't know what will be done for 4wd tires, Loeb and other driver have made lot of flat. We have discover good driver, Lategan was fast! Baragwanath in the Century buggy did great, those Century if they continue their evolution with good driver like Serradori we will have surprise.

RG I hope he will be back, in SSV? his place is in T1, buisness wise (for RG Motorsports) building a large team of Wildcat SSV would be great for futur but the opponent South racing will be tough to beat you need more than 2-3 ssv then media coverage even with the prototype class the official coverage is poor. Why RG build 2-3 t1 buggy that look like a Wildcat?or a new hummer with the help of GM to compete with Audi and their Hybrid technologie

The window is open for a win in 2022, Sven Quandt with Q-Motorsport will work with Audi, Audi build in house their Dakar project Q-motorsport will help with their expertise, in parallel X-raid will continue, with a new car it will be easier to beat Audi but after thise ouch, we know how they have dominated at Lemans
Sounds like you may not be aware of his current project - he's gone away from Arctic Cat and is building his own production SSV range. With how thin he spreads himself I think this would be the only logical entry as he'll (hopefully) have the time for better development etc. Last I heard they're due for release in March from memory and they have a good number of pre-orders already. SpeedUTV All this of course from the fingers of a keyboard racer ;).

ISRengine

Reaction
Sounds like you may not be aware of his current project - he's gone away from Arctic Cat and is building his own production SSV range. With how thin he spreads himself I think this would be the only logical entry as he'll (hopefully) have the time for better development etc. Last I heard they're due for release in March from memory and they have a good number of pre-orders already. SpeedUTV All this of course from the fingers of a keyboard racer ;).
Didn't know he's finish with Arctic Cat since he is still selling wildcat parts on his web site, i didn't realise speed UTV was is own venture. planet robby or other stuf like that did not put effort on that a lot, I will look at his video he made later, that's sur if he start a new brand of SSV He need to go to dakar and win! Can-am support South racing but the manufacturer is not fully involved. Great to see a project like speed Utv

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Just watched RG's weekly Speed UTV presentation on Instagram; it's awesome to see how confident he is in his UTV, and all the Speed accessories he's now selling. Feel like this should be a really successful business venture for him, and hopefully via use at Dakar or Baja he can get some great testing done to improve it even more. Hopefully revenue from sales can fund a future Dakar overall effort

stephenrjking

Reaction
It's possible Al-Attiyah and/or Toyota drop Dakar, but this is also some pretty hefty positioning to pressure for rules changes. Which may be just, for all I know; certainly sounds (and looks) like there are noticeable differences, and the difference in puncture quantity is hard to ignore. AWD seems preferable in trophy truck stateside, but... it would not be if you were limited to smaller tires and less travel. So I buy that.

I thought I read somewhere that Currie was definitely going back to Dakar with Polaris next year. I guess a few Americans struggled, but with Jones and Quintero both looking the part in SSV and of course Brabec and Howes (someone sign him!) finishing well, seems like Americans are still doing fine out there.

GEO_DXB

Reaction
Nobody complained when rules were vice versa and favored 4x4, but when Minis are on top - there you go. They limited the speed and who lost ? (let me tell you, Century Racing whose buggies could top 200 km/h). So its all about who moans more.
Will be interesting to see Dakar as part of Cross Country Marathons