The "Official" Dakar 2022 Thread

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Both Quandt and JMF are on the Cross Country Committee so I guess the grown ups will decide which way they want to go - which will leave the privateers to re-engineer their vehicles at great expense to once again to keep up with their new regulations.

GEO_DXB

Reaction
Both Quandt and JMF are on the Cross Country Committee so I guess the grown ups will decide which way they want to go - which will leave the privateers to re-engineer their vehicles at great expense to once again to keep up with their new regulations.
I think it might be Tobias now instead of Sven? But regardless its X Raid. Would be interesting to read the script of their meetings, knowing JMF )))

Im still pissed at the SCORE restrictor rules, WTF, 32mm. Its not like I got an LS7 in there.

spalind

Reaction
Nobody complained when rules were vice versa and favored 4x4, but when Minis are on top - there you go. They limited the speed and who lost ? (let me tell you, Century Racing whose buggies could top 200 km/h). So its all about who moans more.
Will be interesting to see Dakar as part of Cross Country Marathons

Oooo!! Hadn't noticed that! Is it now part of that FIA Series??

E.Hagle

Reaction
We need a Dakar style race stateside across the Mojave desert. There’s plenty of room it’s just whether or not someone lays out the course and does the footwork

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
How many of the American UTV (light vehicle) racers will be able to return for next year. I know Dakar is a steep learning curve, but a number of the Americans did not fair so well this year. Will they be able to get the backing to make another attempt at it? And do they want to go? Only time will tell.

I personally would like to see Robby win Dakar. He has tried with Volkswagen. He tried with his Hummer. He tried with the Gordini. He tried with the UTV. I think Saudi Arabia would be the perfect setting for a Hummer come back. He did pretty well in South America when the terrain was more open. But a lot of South America was on narrow twisty tracks. I don't care what he gun he brings to the fight, but he needs to stick with it and perfect it until he can win.

I know winning is half luck and half preparation, and at times it seems like he lacks on the preparation side of things. Sheldon Creed is a perfect example. Sheldon had never even driven the Gordini before he landed in Argentina the first time he raced it. To me that is a "lack of preparation". Maybe the UTV program will be different. I hope so.

I know there are a lot of Robby "haters" out there. And I am not his biggest fan by far. But after all the times it has appeared the ASO was out to get him and find ways to slow him down it would be nice to see him beat the Europeans at their game while playing by their rules.
From what I heard the Polaris factory deal was a 3 year deal, Casey will be there next year i'm sure as well as Scanlon

JDDurfey

Reaction
Norra is the closest we get. They seem to do a good job. Almost 100% privateer racing.

While I like the NORRA 1000 and would love to participate someday, I wouldn't really compare it to Dakar. The navigation is different and much easier from what I see. The motorcycle winner of the Sonoran Rally gets a free entry to the Dakar race. That is how Skylar Howes went his first year. The Sonoran Rally is a true navigation rally like Dakar.

Bricoop

Reaction
While I like the NORRA 1000 and would love to participate someday, I wouldn't really compare it to Dakar. The navigation is different and much easier from what I see. The motorcycle winner of the Sonoran Rally gets a free entry to the Dakar race. That is how Skylar Howes went his first year. The Sonoran Rally is a true navigation rally like Dakar.
You’re right, I got my races mixed up. The Sonora rally does a great job. Great for people looking to get into rally raid.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I love NORRA, however rememberers that its more of a hybrid between European raid and classic US style desert racing. Sonora Rally adheres more to the same rules and ideas ASO does.

Both fun to participate in or even just follow as a fan.

ISRengine

Reaction
I took me some night time to catch up on the Speed UTV evolution :eek: :eek: that UTV is amazing, if it's come true wow.

Robby is looking at Dakar very close! there is something under that.

dbq61537

Reaction
To much government BS to let that happen.

Good point

You would need to use at least two state’s.
It’s one thing to use...Nevada and New Mexico...but crossing to Utah or Colorado?

Colorado killed the true Pike’s Peak race.

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Glickenhaus 008 Baja/Dakar Buggy - from https://twitter.com/Glickenhaus

EvVd2lWXAAI6ou1

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
So many things wrong with that as far as FIA is concerned. Major one is the exhaust placement. But looks pretty cool though.