The "Official" Dakar 2022 Thread

Short Bus

RDC Crypto
Yazeed posted this tire failure. Anyone have an explanation for what's going on with this tire? It looks like it has some kind of filler material inside it. Or is that the kevlar (?) or other material that make up the internal cords that shredded after being exposed? I never saw a puncture cause this.
222733596_4286181021403783_7106679540997267046_n.jpg

mattj446

RDC Crypto
Yazeed posted this tire failure. Anyone have an explanation for what's going on with this tire? It looks like it has some kind of filler material inside it. Or is that the kevlar (?) or other material that make up the internal cords that shredded after being exposed? I never saw a puncture cause this.
View attachment 228976

Rally raid tyres have kevlar in them because of what terrain the cars race on. By looks of things he has driven on puncture tyre which is quite common in rallying so don't lose time in stage but change tyre on the road section you just got a bit careful the tyre doesn't overheat cause fire.

SteveRacer

RDC Crypto
Tim and Tom’s beast is for sale.

Ferrari333SP

RDC Crypto
Tim and Tom’s beast is for sale.

Are they building a new chassis? Or transitioning out of Dakar entirely?

Ferrari333SP

RDC Crypto
Uhhhhhh, big news! Ken Block now an Audi partner! And even bigger potential news, it could mean a drive with Audi at the 2022 Dakar.....No doubt Ken's hugeee social media following has something to do with it. 6.6 million followers on Instagram personally, with another 3.8 million that follow his Hoonigan company Instagram account.

Ken Block Signs With Audi Promising An Electrifying Future

ken-block-audi-rs-q-e-tron.jpg

Last edited:

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
Uhhhhhh, big news! Ken Block now an Audi partner! And even bigger potential news, it could mean a drive with Audi at the 2022 Dakar.....No doubt Ken's hugeee social media following has something to do with it. 6.6 million followers on Instagram personally, with another 3.8 million that follow his Hoonigan company Instagram account.

Ken Block Signs With Audi Promising An Electrifying Future

ken-block-audi-rs-q-e-tron.jpg
wow!

Things just got interesting again.

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
And electric powered with a gasoline range extender, very nice!
In my opinion that is the perfect long range propulsion setup.

The Chevy Volt/Ampere or their original E car whatever that was called... one of those two had that setup. Best of both worlds. Trains work that way as well. Diesel Generator that powers E motors. I know...complete different applications from a Rally Raid race car.

As battery technology increases in efficiency and density eventually rapid charging compared to refueling will be possible. However in order to get to that point one must be willing to take the steps that include lots of failures and ridicule. I applaud Audis efforts.

Bull-dust

RDC Crypto
My understanding is aspects of the hybrid technology that Audi is using for Dakar is quite mature from the Le Mans race program and outside suppliers. etc
Compact Dynamics Compact Dynamics | Company

Gazoo Racing Toyota Hilux T1+ big tires, longer suspension travel, twin turbo V6 3.5 liter gasoline/ petrol engine.

Last edited:

mrlentle

RDC keyboard warrior
RDC Crypto
That's a massive step up in tyre size (32 to 37") and suspension increase is substantial too. I'll miss the V8 but hopefully the turbo V6 will give them a more competitive edge against the diesels and new tech coming through.

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
Saw Nassar is with Toyota now and they are testing a new truck that looks to be 2wd.

Funny Robby builds the Humbuggys and proves 2wd can be competitive and win stages, then all the factory teams start switching from 4wd to 2wd.

Bull-dust

RDC Crypto
Short vid of GDV testing the Hilux T1+

What happened to the argument about the flammability of the turbo gasoline/ petrol vehicles, that after the likes of the citroen zx and Mitsubishi pajeros caught fire, that led to the banning of turbo gasoline? Did enough v8 gasoline/ petrol overdrive/ hall speed hiluxes catch fire to quieten the argument? I still think a control/ standard turbo diesel engine (with some team modification allowed) would be an ethical approach.

Last edited:

Ferrari333SP

RDC Crypto
I think in the hands of Nassar that truck will be hard to beat, especially if it's as reliable as the previous truck was. Audi will be fast, but won't be without serious troubles, and the Prodrive will be faster, but still not reliable enough