RDC Crypto
Website
www.salukimotorsport.com
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 15.07.58.jpeg

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
www.nismostuff.blogspot.com
Interesting that the FIA/ASO banned the Belarusian truck team from the '22 Dakar today...politics creeping into the Dakar is not good. We going to start banning Chinese competitors for the internment of millions in camps there? How about banning Saudi for its ties to terrorism and traditional rules against women? Russians because of Putin? Americans because Sleepy Joe f'd over France in its submarine deal with Australia? How far do they want to take this?

Anyone with a good idea on why Belarus was singled out over all the others? Simply because no one would really raise a stink about it??

mrlentle

RDC keyboard warrior
RDC Crypto
Looks like it reflects sanctions already in place since June against MAZ so no real surprise there.
We'll see more of this as time goes by - just like the WTA pulling competition in China over the Peng Shuai story.

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
Looks like it reflects sanctions already in place since June against MAZ so no real surprise there.
We'll see more of this as time goes by - just like the WTA pulling competition in China over the Peng Shuai story.
What sanctions in place against MAZ? I haven't done any digging so I'm not being snarky, just looking to shortcut to the answer.

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
Got it...OK...so it appears that the ASO is sanctioning the corporate team because of the things that Belarus has been doing including the hijacking of an airline (?) but not sanctioning or banning individual Belarus competitors...

MAZ is a state owned company (don't really have those much here) and THAT company is under EU and as of today I believe US sanctions due to the actions of the government as essentially MAZ and the government are one and the same.

Same reason that a US company can't do business with an Iranian company or North Korean company even if that US company is operating in lets say Russia where there are not sanctions against Iran or NK...the US restrictions persist everywhere. Same here. The ASO as an EU organization is subject to EU sanctions wherever it goes. So it couldn't support a MAZ interaction whether the event was in Saudi, in Belarus itself, Russia or anywhere...Same thing would occur here if one of the Iranian state owned auto manufacturers fielded a team to run in BITD...BITD as an American corporation could not interact or do business with that Iranian company. I don't like the mix of politics and Dakar...but the ASO had no choice here.

mrlentle

RDC keyboard warrior
RDC Crypto
Got it...OK...so it appears that the ASO is sanctioning the corporate team because of the things that Belarus has been doing including the hijacking of an airline (?) but not sanctioning or banning individual Belarus competitors...

MAZ is a state owned company (don't really have those much here) and THAT company is under EU and as of today I believe US sanctions due to the actions of the government as essentially MAZ and the government are one and the same.

Same reason that a US company can't do business with an Iranian company or North Korean company even if that US company is operating in lets say Russia where there are not sanctions against Iran or NK...the US restrictions persist everywhere. Same here. The ASO as an EU organization is subject to EU sanctions wherever it goes. So it couldn't support a MAZ interaction whether the event was in Saudi, in Belarus itself, Russia or anywhere...Same thing would occur here if one of the Iranian state owned auto manufacturers fielded a team to run in BITD...BITD as an American corporation could not interact or do business with that Iranian company. I don't like the mix of politics and Dakar...but the ASO had no choice here.

Yep you got it. Extracted from Wikipedia but for the EU:
Political repressions, sanctions
On 21 June 2021, MAZ (as well as its general manager Ivankovich) was added to the sanctions list of the European Union for repressions against workers who participated in mass protests against the authoritarian regime of Alexander Lukashenka following the controversial presidential election of 2020. According to the official decision of the EU,
"[MAZ] is a source of revenue for the Lukashenka regime. OJSC MAZ has offered its premises and equipment to stage a political rally in support of the regime. Therefore, OJSC “MAZ” benefits from and supports the Lukashenka regime."[4]
Moreover,
Employees of OJSC “MAZ” who took part in strikes and peaceful protests in the aftermath of fraudulent August 2020 elections in Belarus, were intimidated and later laid off by the company’s managements. A group of employees was locked indoors by OJSC MAZ to prevent them from joining the other protesters. Therefore, MAZ is responsible for the repression of civil society and supports the Lukashenka regime.
On the same day, MAZ and Ivankovich were also sanctioned by Canada.[5] Later, Switzerland also sanctioned the company and its general manager.[6][7]

BajaFand

RDC Crypto
There would never be USA state sponsored riders/drivers, but that doesn’t really matter as the ASO will just come up with ways to penalize any American in contention anyway 😅.

What’s the scoop on Americans this year? Obviously Brabec, Howes, and I’m guessing Shorty? AJ Jones in UTV for sure. Are Matlocks coming back with the Polaris program? Any Americans in the car field? Who am I missing? Currie went to Polaris and no more Dakar program and I actually don’t see him promoting Polaris on social media much at all either.

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
There would never be USA state sponsored riders/drivers, but that doesn’t really matter as the ASO will just come up with ways to penalize any American in contention anyway 😅.

What’s the scoop on Americans this year? Obviously Brabec, Howes, and I’m guessing Shorty? AJ Jones in UTV for sure. Are Matlocks coming back with the Polaris program? Any Americans in the car field? Who am I missing? Currie went to Polaris and no more Dakar program and I actually don’t see him promoting Polaris on social media much at all either.

Yeah, Currie was supposed to be in it this year from his posts last year but that seems to have died quickly. No Americans in Cars that I saw and I went through it entry by entry. Pablo Copetti from the US on a quad. Amy Lerner again in Dakar Classic in her 911. Seth Quintero in UTVs. Mason Klein on a bike both from the US, Jack Lundin (Canada) on a bike, Antonio Rivera (Mexico) on a bike. That's what I see beyond what you mentioned.

TrailReady

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
Website
www.trbeadlocks.com
Also a bunch of Dakar Classic teams that are going to be running what they are calling "Team FJ ProTrucks" which appear to be all Chevys of desert type designs from "Team FJ"? Which appears to be a big French racing effort??
245865104_3090971627849122_2727157665692465341_n.jpg
Cool, that IS a protruck!!