The Official Tube Bending Thread

Baileigh Inc

Hello, my name is Shane and I work at Baileigh Industrial here in Wisconsin. We deal with the Off Road crowd on a daily basis and are very familiar with your applications. We would love to get involved on the board and help out in our area of expertise.

So, I will start this tube bending thread. If you have any questions about roll cages, die sets, bending tube or pipe, application issues, what wall thickness will work or not, wall thickness vs. center line Radius or what material will bend. Pretty much anything related to tube bending......ask away.

Baileigh Inc

Ever wonder how to figure out how much tube is consumed in a bend?

CLR (center line radius) x degree of bend x .0175

offroadracer

You guys ready to build a Pro 2 chassie?
I think Baileigh Inc. would look good on the side of a truck.

Triaged

Could you do a mandrel bend and a non-mandrel bend of say 1.75x.120 tube 5.5 CLR, cut them both in half, and measure the diameter and inside/outside wall thickness in a bunch of different places?

Baileigh Inc

Could you do a mandrel bend and a non-mandrel bend of say 1.75x.120 tube 5.5 CLR, cut them both in half, and measure the diameter and inside/outside wall thickness in a bunch of different places?

No mandrel needed.......1 3/4" x .120" x 5.5 CLR is not a mandrel application. It can be bent on an open rotary draw bender and will provide absolutely beautiful bend quality.

1 3/4" x 5.5 CLR is the most common off road die set on the planet.

DesertGuy1

Off Topic from tubing....

On a box/pan brake with a mild steel capacity of 16g, what is the maximum thickness that 5052 AL that can be bent without "springing" the brake?

Baileigh Inc

Off Topic from tubing....

On a box/pan brake with a mild steel capacity of 16g, what is the maximum thickness that 5052 AL that can be bent without "springing" the brake?

We like to use the + 4 gauges for aluminum and - 4 gauges for s.s.

So, 12 gauge would be fine.

Triaged

I know; that is why I picked that size. SCORE actually has in the rule book that the bends must be mandrel type bends and CLR=>3*OD. Some people do use mandrel benders to do cage work. See for example this post: http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showpost.php?p=336168&postcount=118

SCORE Rule Book said:
None of the tubing may show any signs of crimping or wall failure. All bends must be mandrel type. The center radius of the bends may not be less than three (3) times the outside diameter of the roll cage tubing.
I know that they don't mean that you have to use a mandrel bender just something that doesn't kink the tube. I just wanted to see what the actual difference is.

mikeyfrombc

the mandral set-up works best on thin wall tight clr bends , and even then you have to use a wiperdie to prevent the inside of the bend from wrinkling and a ball head mandral helps as well .

on DOM if you have decent CLR and wall size the bends will still be nice we bend 1 1/2 x.156 wall with no mandral and the bends are nice i just started using my rotary draw bender i bought thru Shane and i,m impressed with the bend quality i did a 65deg bend on 1 5/8 x .120 wall with a 6" clr and it is nice bend i will measure it tomorrow and compare the sizes to some 5.5clr mandral bends i have with the same tube sizes .

i,m sure the SCORE rules are similar to NHRA/SFI in the sense that when it comes to bend quality they want wrinkle free bends , bends that are not flat on the outside or inside of the bends and no kinks as well . mandral is just an example of what a acceptable bend would be IMO .

DBMETALWORX

hello, my name is shane and i work at baileigh industrial here in wisconsin. We deal with the off road crowd on a daily basis and are very familiar with your applications. We would love to get involved on the board and help out in our area of expertise.

So, i will start this tube bending thread. If you have any questions about roll cages, die sets, bending tube or pipe, application issues, what wall thickness will work or not, wall thickness vs. Center line radius or what material will bend. Pretty much anything related to tube bending......ask away.
hey on a different note.. Why is it that my rh45 won't make duplicate bends, @ the same setting as well as using peices from the same peice of tube???? It gets progressively tighter and tighter the more parts i run through.. All @ the same setting.. I sure would like to have the rm55 instead, @ least i could measure the setting on the depth of the center roll......

Baileigh Inc

hey on a different note.. Why is it that my rh45 won't make duplicate bends, @ the same setting as well as using peices from the same peice of tube???? It gets progressively tighter and tighter the more parts i run through.. All @ the same setting.. I sure would like to have the rm55 instead, @ least i could measure the setting on the depth of the center roll......
If you are having trouble roll bending, don't worry. Just give me a call Monday and I can help you. Roll bending is my favorite application and I am very familiar with just about every roll bending application out there. 920-482-3220

Remember material will work harden the more you work it. With that said, repeating bends on a roll bender is simple. If you have a part that takes 4 passes to achieve the desired radius, you need to make the same adjustment of the top roll for every part.

Simple example: If your desired radius requires the top roll to be adjusted down 4" inches, then simply take 4 "bites" at a time that are 1" each. This will keep everything consistent.

These also can be a roll bender's best friend. these are as helpful when roll bending as a tape measure is to a carpenter.

http://www.bii1.com/accessories.php

gfyrasng

Does anybody know of any good reading materials for beginner fabrication? Something not to technical but covers most of the basics. Tube bending, brakes, welding, presses, etc.

DBMETALWORX

Does anybody know of any good reading materials for beginner fabrication? Something not to technical but covers most of the basics. Tube bending, brakes, welding, presses, etc.
Metal fabricators handbook is very good.. Also baja bugs and buggies. Both are good starting points..

Baileigh Inc

Ron Founier and Ron Covell have some pretty good sheet metal books.

Tube bending and notching...etc.......just ask away. That is what I am here for.

gfyrasng

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered the metal fabricators handbook from amazon. I still have nearly 5 months left in Iraq, figure I might as well do a bit of reading while I'm over here.

Baileigh Inc

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered the metal fabricators handbook from amazon. I still have nearly 5 months left in Iraq, figure I might as well do a bit of reading while I'm over here.
Good luck and stay safe. Give me a call when you get back and we can talk tube benders. I can pass the torch and teach you everything I know....:D

Kenshiro

Hi..

I`m from Sweden,, so bare with my english skills..

I`m about to build an offroad racer based on a car..

Is there any cheaper manual tube bender out there that you could recomend..
Picture please..

Here in Sweden thera are 2 models i have been looking at , one that uses an hydraulic piston to simply push the bend that you need, the other one is competly man power but it slides along the tube when bending it..

Thanx..

Linus..