The other offroad..!

martininsocal

Reaction
It is short notice, but I will have a couple seats open for whitewater rafting tomorrow, Tuesday the 19th. Will be a 1 day trip up to the upper Kern. Will be back in the Victorville area about 5:30 tomorrow night. PM me or email. I have room for 2-3 people right now.

Martin

JasonHutter

Reaction
Dang-it, I don't think I can make it there from Colorado in time or else I would be all over it. If you can make it this way, we run the Arkansas R., Colorado R., and the Roaring Fork which runs through Aspen. Have fun!

Jason

martininsocal

Reaction
oh well, sorry folks, trip has been postponed. For anyone interested, I will be heading to the Kern pretty much every week from now until the middle of June, then probably north to the Kings. Memorial Day weekend is full, and the week after we will be up there Fri-Sun. After that, it will be mostly Mon-Tues till the water drops.

Martin

BlueCoyote

Reaction
What is that river rated at and are there any age restrictions?

PLS

Reaction
Martin- Do you run on your own up there, or with a guide? I've got a friend who owns a rafting/moutain biking place up on the Kern. John Stallone, or MadDog as we know him.
Pete S.- BOYD RACING

martininsocal

Reaction
The sections we run rate from 2-4( I will run 5, but only with certain people! I have done Salmon Falls), we keep to class 3 with kids in the boat and 4 with adults. I have my own self bailer Avon. I don't know Mad dog, I do know the guys from KRT(thats where I did guide school about 7 years ago). We so run infatable kayaks. and some sit-on-tops. Lots of fun!

Jkrell

Reaction
I just got back yesterday from a two day rafting trip on the Tuolomne (sp?) River, up near yosemite. Awesome river lots of 4's....a really good time....rafting isn't quite like racing trucks...but its definatly close.

Motorider

Reaction
Funny, I just got back from rafting the Keweah river 4+, right outside Sequoia National Park, and next memorial day planning on running the Tuolomne river. I am looking forward to it.

martininsocal

Reaction
How was the Kaweah? WE just ran the Kern yesterday and the water is higher than its been a quite a few years. I have been to the Kaweah a couple times, but both years were really low water, so we boarded it. The Kaweah is one of the steepest rivers in California for average gradient. How was Slickies?( the drop behind the Chevron station)?

Motorider

Reaction
The Keweah was 3.8 (I don't know what rating this is) above average water, so it was pretty high, and flowing really well. Upper and lower slickies were pretty good, got tossed out at the Chair, the hole at the bottom was pretty huge, just took the raft and flipped it over. The company we went with was shooting video of it, and I should have it up sometime next week, so I'll be sure to bring this back up when I get it. The video is pretty good. It was lots of fun. Holiday ate my friends raft at the end of the day, they though they were going to skate, but I think they were tired.

V8Ranger

Reaction
Do you ever run the class 5 on the lower Kern? I forget the name of it but its the rapid where most of the tours portage around it. The kern is a beautiful area.

martininsocal

Reaction
I've never done the falls (False Flush and Royal Flush) on the Lower, I have done Salmon Falls on the upper. If you go down the canyon a littel lower to the cataracts, there are some insane places that I would not run, but some folks do in Kayaks. Many very experienced yakers have scared themselves to death in there.
We will be up there again this weekend if anyone is in the area. We will probably be at Frandy Park in Kernville. There will be a note on the bulletin board at Sierra South
giving our camp location.

Martin

martininsocal

Reaction
Jr. The Kern is located just east of Bakersfield. It is the river that feeds Lake Isabella. Right now, the Upper Kern is running and it flows into the lake at Kernville on the north side of the lake. Depending on traffic and the route you take, probably 4-4.5 hours from downtown SD.

michael_loomis

Reaction
whatcha gonna do Trav .... POP HIS RAFT !! LOL JK!!!!!

martininsocal

Reaction
From a humorous point of view, yes, it was funny, but I think Travis just wants to come have a good time, transcend the political difference and enjoy some offroading with another offroader. Thats what makes this sport great, different philosphies can be overcome with a common bond...speed on the dirt! (or in this case, H20)

I almost forgot...Kumbiyaah....(j/k)

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Well put Martin. I couldn't have said it better myself.

C'mon Michael, you really think I'm that bad!!

michael_loomis

Reaction
haha well you DO drive a FORD , and i HAVE seen you sport a FLATBILL !!

sorry Martin i couldnt resist .... and you are right ... were ALL homies in this hood !