The reality around life-threatening medical assistance at BITD

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
This-

""We just felt hopelessness," said Cody Howard, a professional storm chaser who had been contracted to shoot weather footage on the island. His exit strategy evaporated when the island's airport closed."

Is kind of hilarious. How professional is this clown? Imagine that, an airport that would close just because winds over 185 miles per hour were consistent with the Category 5 hurricane approaching it.

Oh, and haven't heard yet- Did the 35 people perish after they didn't get the boat ride? The media makes everything so life and death nowadays, hard to take any of it seriously.

Mike321

RDC Crypto
Oh, and haven't heard yet- Did the 35 people perish after they didn't get the boat ride? The media makes everything so life and death nowadays, hard to take any of it seriously.

Bro_Gill,

I appreciate what you do and thank you for your what you do every day. Per the article:

Sheldon: The security personnel employed by the dock company would not—and we asked them repeatedly–allow them through the port gates and boarding area, because they were not on the manifest we prepared in advance, as a requirement for the boat to depart for international waters.

The general managers who run our hotels on St. Thomas tried to work with dock personnel to allow them to get on the ship—we certainly had room aboard, which makes this both frustrating and disheartening.”​

There was ample room for safe extraction for the 35 available in the first place on this ship. This is an example of why I keep posting on this topic.

Are the 35 better because of the "rules"? I doubt it.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
And again- I ask if they all died. Why? Because you know and I know they didn't. Their lives were just a little harder for a little while. I live in California. An Earthquake (huge one) is long overdue. I like the weather. Wish I lived beach front, but I can't afford it. If the big one hits, I absolutely don't expect someone else to take care of my needs to be comfortable. After 72 hours, I expect some services like bottled drinking water and MREs to have arrived. If I don't like it, I will have to go somewhere else. These folks live in Island Heaven, but the trade-off is occasional hurricanes. Are they not aware of this? Here is another example- When you go to Baja for races, do you expect the U,S, Gov't or Disneyland or Marriot or Verizon or ARCO to come get you if you have an accident and your car won't return you to the states? This is all under the assumption that you have purchased or used services from the above.

Mike321

RDC Crypto
And again- I ask if they all died. Why? Because you know and I know they didn't. Their lives were just a little harder for a little while. I live in California. An Earthquake (huge one) is long overdue. I like the weather. Wish I lived beach front, but I can't afford it. If the big one hits, I absolutely don't expect someone else to take care of my needs to be comfortable. After 72 hours, I expect some services like bottled drinking water and MREs to have arrived. If I don't like it, I will have to go somewhere else. These folks live in Island Heaven, but the trade-off is occasional hurricanes. Are they not aware of this? Here is another example- When you go to Baja for races, do you expect the U,S, Gov't or Disneyland or Marriot or Verizon or ARCO to come get you if you have an accident and your car won't return you to the states? This is all under the assumption that you have purchased or used services from the above.

It is an island, there is no other place to go:

Solomon
: Do you know who these 35 people were?

Sheldon: To our understanding, these were guests from other hotels and some local residents as well. Beyond that, we are limited in our knowledge, but this had no effect on our desire to assist.​

According to the article the 35 in question weren’t predominately people prepared for the island life – they were tourists staying at other hotels. When this happened there was no hospital, fire station, police station or airport. Oh, and there’s a chance a Cat 4 hurricane is coming in a few hours.

There is a boat available with 200 open slots when 35 are requested, but paperwork prevents them from evacuating? They just went through a Cat 5 hurricane....

When I go to Baja for races, I bring a truck that is prepared for the worst case scenario. It can rescue itself, it has spare parts/fluids/tools and is simple enough to fix on my own and common enough that I can get parts; ability to store and prepare food; water and other fluids, trauma kit, put out a small fire, make electricity, communications, etc…and I make sure that the insurance I buy for the trip includes air transport back to the to US if needed while I'm in Baja.

When I fly down to Cabo for a vacation I have far less resources with me. I would hope that one of the cruise ships lends a hand during a disaster. Do I expect it, no. But if the resourses are available, I expect that humanity can do what is right, not what is permitted.

Last edited: