Jammminjay

Reaction
This story starts south of the border in Mexicali, Mexico, as some of the toughest vehicles ever built were about to race the inaugural Trophy Truck race in 1994. Hundreds of people would gather around the start line and await the start of the 27th running of the Baja 1000. Competitors would race 1000 miles through some of the harshest terrains in North America with some of the best drivers we had ever seen. One truck amongst those would become known as the grandfather of all modern-day trophy trucks that set the standard for truck engineering for years to come. The Truck? The Ultra Wheels Trophy Truck, piloted by Jimmy Smith built by Russ Wernimont. He would go on to place 1st that year at SCORE’s inaugural Trophy Truck race. Now, after nearly 30 years of racing by various teams, it has made its way back to Ultra Wheels at the hands of Jimmy Smith and has entirely been restored to its original form. Let’s take a look at what made this truck so unique and essential in offroad...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction
What does this On/Off ?

ULTRATT_RACEDEZERT_JSTILGEBOUER-49-scaled.jpg

Jammminjay

Reaction
Where is the Air bump on the front A-arms? Off Road mag did a full feature on this truck, and the suspension was nothing like this.
Probably wasn't the same truck, the suspension is almost exactly as it was built in 1993 except for the rear which had a slapper arm with a shock on it. Before air bumps existed.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Probably wasn't the same truck, the suspension is almost exactly as it was built in 1993 except for the rear which had a slapper arm with a shock on it. Before air bumps existed.
If it wasn't the same truck, then this isn't the original one. When I saw this truck on the trailer at the BBQ place in Lucerne last month, I thought it was a new truck since it wasn't the same suspension so I asked and some folks that work here told me about the resto and photo shoot. I kept it quiet! I will look for the old magazine feature.

Jammminjay

Reaction
If it wasn't the same truck, then this isn't the original one. When I saw this truck on the trailer at the BBQ place in Lucerne last month, I thought it was a new truck since it wasn't the same suspension so I asked and some folks that work here told me about the resto and photo shoot. I kept it quiet! I will look for the old magazine feature.
Well, I did shoot it in Lucerne haha. It is the original truck. I promise.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction

The suspension was heavily redone by Mike Smith. It looks like it did when the Herbst raced it. Originally it had different shocks layout, A-arms and spindles.

That truck really needed to be retired, Barry was constantly chasing cracks when Scotty was racing it. The amount of patched tubes on it is pretty staggering.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The suspension was heavily redone by Mike Smith. It looks like it did when the Herbst raced it. Originally it had different shocks layout, A-arms and spindles.

That truck really needed to be retired, Barry was constantly chasing cracks when Scotty was racing it. The amount of patched tubes on it is pretty staggering.
That's what I remember hearing lots of years ago. That's why, when I saw it in Lucerne at Cafe 247 on the trailer, I didn't think it was the same truck. Because of it's size, I thought it might be a new Spec/6100 build.

CAD CAM CNC

Reaction
Hmmm seems like I only mentioned Robby once.
That was my point. Robby pretty much reinvented trophy trucks in the 90's, which Mickey Thompson did before him, especially with the truggy style. But your article didn't mention either of them even once. All you have is the people that bought the vehicles and then pretended they built them.

CAD CAM CNC

Reaction

chasing cracks usually happens when geometry is wrong, causing binds. also, welds might use wrong material composition and lack proper stress relief treatment.