Tom_Willis

Reaction
Interesting how the truck weighed 4800lbs, (and the Ashley/Smith Duralast TT at 4900lbs), while today's builds top 3 tons. Ironic how Savage broke his own rules regarding tube sizes; declaring 2" minimum for competitor's vehicles that were similar in weight to his Protruck designs.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Interesting how the truck weighed 4800lbs, (and the Ashley/Smith Duralast TT at 4900lbs), while today's builds top 3 tons. Ironic how Savage broke his own rules regarding tube sizes; declaring 2" minimum for competitor's vehicles that were similar in weight to his Protruck designs.

After the whole Baja truck fiasco, Bill had no issues creating problems for the pro-trucks.

Jammminjay

Reaction
That was my point. Robby pretty much reinvented trophy trucks in the 90's, which Mickey Thompson did before him, especially with the truggy style. But your article didn't mention either of them even once. All you have is the people that bought the vehicles and then pretended they built them.

Trophy Trucks weren't even built until Russ Wernimont built the Simon & Simon truck which ran in the Unlimited class. The first true tube chassis, truck. I am not discrediting Robby Gordon, I am only stating facts. Trust me I have 10 hours of research into this article and spoke to, Jimmy's Son, Russ, and Robby about this truck and the development of the trophy truck class. This is a subject that is not well documented and I am trying to pick up the pieces as I go. Robby did build the La Victoria but it was after the Simon & Simon truck.

As your claim Mickey Thompson reinvented Trophy Trucks.. he never did so, he only raced a few trucks, Class 8 and Unlimited. Specifically, buggies, he really did some pretty innovative things in technology. Although I am not sure when he stopped racing offroad and focused on drag racing as I don't have too much knowledge of it. Although maybe @Rory could help me out since he owns two of Mickey's Challenger Buggies. Mickey did however develop MTEG which was incredible but certainly not a Trophy Truck.

As for Truggies? The first Truggy was Herbst Terrible Herbst Truggy built-in 94/95 "El TIberon" a rear solid axle architecture of a truck. This vehicle, which was designed and fabricated by Mike Smith Fabrication which was basically a longer and identical build to the Ultra TT.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
As for Truggies? The first Truggy was Herbst Terrible Herbst Truggy built-in 94/95 "El TIberon" a rear solid axle architecture of a truck. This vehicle, which was designed and fabricated by Mike Smith Fabrication which was basically a longer and identical build to the Ultra TT.

There were a lot of truggy type vehicles long before the landshark. La mula del diablo was a mid engine V-drive truggy 20 years before the term became popular. You could also argue the Baja boot was a truggy.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631054497520.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631054497520.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

Jammminjay

Reaction
There were a lot of truggy type vehicles long before the landshark. La mula del diablo was a mid engine V-drive truggy 20 years before the term became popular. You could also argue the Baja boot was a truggy.
You aren't wrong about this in the technical sense of IFS and a solid rear axle. But context is important, I was comparing it to modern-day Truggy's like the Land Shark. But you are 100% right. I also think the Baja boot was the first 4wd IFS car.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
There are lots of things that can be argued here, especially who had the first TT. Big Oly is quite possibly the first TT....I’m sure that could be debated. As for the truggy, the Landshark was the most successful but definitely NOT the first one. Johnny Johnson and Larry Minor both had truggys in 1974 and a few more came and went over the years including ChallengerIV and ChallengerV.

jon coleman

Reaction
i found the first ' truggys' ever built;

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
  • images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Here's a thread asking about the first truggy from 2001.

I have a photo of the Moser truggy racing MDR but I haven't found it yet. I know I have posted it in the forum before.

ACME

Reaction
"The amount of patched tubes on it is pretty staggering."
Cool article and a great full circle story.

I spent a few days with her unskinned, taking pics and video for reference when I did the toys. It was crazy how many patches , bandaids and gussets it had... but it was always bad ass fast and had a great finishing history!

sidenote: Hey Brad: Didn't you race some mid engine-IRS Jeeps back in the day???

Jammminjay

Reaction

I spent a few days with her unskinned, taking pics and video for reference when I did the toys. It was crazy how many patches , bandaids and gussets it had... but it was always bad ass fast and had a great finishing history!

sidenote: Hey Brad: Didn't you race some mid engine-IRS Jeeps back in the day???
Had many hours into writing this story. One of my favorites of the year.

brad inch

Reaction

no. just worked ,and pitted on them,mostly bill todds