The scare of my life!

dirtegirl

I'm still a newbie on this site, but have met some really great people and wanted to share my story with all of you, in hopes to create awareness and education of BREAST CANCER! I discovered my "lump" right before valentine's day :eek: (great timing!) and have had numerous tests and two surgeries within the last 3 weeks, since my first detection. I'm extremely lucky as this was caught very early and my prognosis is very good! My "lump" was the size of a BB (5mm) and never got the chance to spread or get bigger. To all the women on this site (dudes tell your wives, moms, daughters, sisters, and girlfriends too) check yourself out and be your own patient advocate within your healthcare system! They didn't even want to give me a mammogram because I'm under 40, even though there was something there! If this was my wake up call, then let it be yours too. Life is too short, so don't take things for granted, don't sweat the small stuff, and enjoy life! ALL cancers do not discriminate and can happen to you! Take care of your body and if you don't agree with your doc, then get a 2nd opinion! It's your right as a patient and remember, you pay their salary! They can't survive without you! To those who've been affected by breast cancer, my thoughts and prayers are with you, be strong and I'm here if you'd like to talk. To cancer survivors, YOU ARE MY HERO!
Remember, LIVE LIFE WITH NO REGRETS! Take care everyone!

cbrdoll

Resident Cougar
Awesome Post from a Awesome Gal!! Glad to hear about the great prognosis!! Please keep us updated!

hammer down racing

I know a few ladies that have gone through breast cancer to varying degrees. I always tell my wife to get checked and keep up on anything out of the ordinary. A close family friend just went through about everything you can breast cancer wise and lost a sister to it a few years back. It was heart breaking to see such a wonderful lady go through such a horrible process. She is in the clear for about 1 1/2 years and the prognosis looks good. Good luck dirtegirl, kick breast cancer's ass!!:D

trent06

Mush
This is a great post and a great thread! Kick it's ass! My family has had to people in the past 7-8 years that have been diagnosed with breast cancer, one being my grandpa who was 86 when diagnosed and the other being my Aunt at 54! They both beat it and I have the utmost confidence you will be doing the same!

RacerX

Great Post. My mom just finished 6 months of chemo and the lump was undetected after the second treatment. She just had surgery last week to remove everything and is on the road to recovery. The 3 lymph nodes that they pulled out were clean. She caught it early, thank god. This is a very serious thing for all women. Don’t wait. Get checked regularly.

5racer

no doubt check your self i lost my mom to breast cancer ,that moved to brain cancer its very sad to watch someone slowly die.so get checked so you dont check out .

_deleted_

doesnt not
i just found out that my mom has breast cancer, i guess it has traveled up into the limp node?? there removing the breast and the chemo.... i dunno what too think. :(

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
i just found out that my mom has breast cancer, i guess it has traveled up into the limp node?? there removing the breast and the chemo.... i dunno what too think. :(
Bummer! Think POSITIVE!

prayers sometimes work too!

OFFRD-JNKIE

Well as someone who lost my mom to cancer ten months ago after a 10 year battle my biggest advice to everyone is be supportive and think positive!! I know it is hard but I chose not to treat mom any different as far as her being sick dont act different its hard enough on them as it is then you add everyone else dwelling on them being sick it fuels that emotional fire they dont want to feel like a burden. Take it one day at a time and dont be afraid to turn to other friends and family for support. Myself included if anyone wants to talk to me feel free to IM me Im all ears!! To everyone out there who is going through this ladies and men alike stay strong!! Tomorrow is another day!!

5racer

Well as someone who lost my mom to cancer ten months ago after a 10 year battle my biggest advice to everyone is be supportive and think positive!! I know it is hard but I chose not to treat mom any different as far as her being sick dont act different its hard enough on them as it is then you add everyone else dwelling on them being sick it fuels that emotional fire they dont want to feel like a burden. Take it one day at a time and dont be afraid to turn to other friends and family for support. Myself included if anyone wants to talk to me feel free to IM me Im all ears!! To everyone out there who is going through this ladies and men alike stay strong!! Tomorrow is another day!!

my mom kicked its but for 15 years ,and everything offrd-jnkie said is right on ,to be honest im not sure who its harder on the family or the one who has cancer .

Vtr_Racing

Very good post. Thank you for bring this up. I dont know why insurance companies dont make that part of a routine exam.

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
I have to chime in as the timing of your post hit's real close to home right now.
Back Story.
My brothers wife had breast cancer several years ago. It was hell on her as well as the entire family. Her and what she went through inspired us to get behind the MORE Powder Puff event from day one, not only as participants, (my wife has been in all of then as has her sister), we also have contributed products for the raffle each year too.
Last year in honor of her mother, my niece rode the entire race with my wife. They were the first car off the line in the first race.
After several long weeks of various Dr's and various test's, my nieces tumor was classified as benign, last week.Thank God!!.
I hate this diease....:mad:

redeyedredneck

Good luck to everybody with any problems and be sure to get checked!.....As all of you may have heard, men can also get breast cancer so everyone needs to take precautions and think possitive!

Trent you forgot to say that we have a pink ribbon tied to the front of the race truck just for this cause :D

200MPHTape

My ex died 2 months ago from it and other complications stemming from it, I was there when she passed, along with my 2 sons. Nobody should have to die like that but its another one of gods warped ways, at least we were there when she left, was the toughest thing as a dad to go through. I pray NO ONE ever has to go through it like we did, watching here take her last breath and go and my son closing her eyes will never leave me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott-dsms

Orange
My dad was diagnosed with anaplastic thyroid cancer (terminal) in Feb of this year, the doctors gave him weeks to months to live. When this all started my mom was going through all the emotions, stress etc etc and trying to deal with his care and decided that she would skip her annual mammogram - Too busy too tired too stressed etc...After careful consideration and second thoughts she decided to go and have it done...Guess what? She has breast cancer - Fortunately they found it early enough, cut it out and the prognosis is good. She is currently going through radiation treatment. My dad on the other hand is going through the terrible things described in other people's stories and there's nothing any of us can do except be there for him :(

Had my mom skipped her test she would soon be in the same boat as my pops.

Moral of the story - Never ever skip getting checked - It's too important - Peace

dirtegirl

Wow Scott, I am so sorry to hear about your dad, but thank goodness your mom's prognosis is very good! An update to my story: I've received my latest pathology report that basically states I'm cancer free and will begin radiation therapy in a few weeks. I'm so fortunate with my outcome and consider this the winning of MY lotto! :D Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement through this difficult time, it really means a lot to me and will never be forgotten! Someone stated that this can occur in men too, and you're absolutely right! Bottom line, check yourself, and don't be scared to ask for a second opinion! It's your RIGHT! I love you all and will keep you posted as I continue my journey.
Peace!
Anna

scott-dsms

Orange
An update to my story: I've received my latest pathology report that basically states I'm cancer free and will begin radiation therapy in a few weeks. I'm so fortunate with my outcome and consider this the winning of MY lotto! :D Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement through this difficult time, it really means a lot to me and will never be forgotten! Someone stated that this can occur in men too, and you're absolutely right! Bottom line, check yourself, and don't be scared to ask for a second opinion! It's your RIGHT! I love you all and will keep you posted as I continue my journey.
Peace!
Anna
Awesome news about your update dirtegirl - Keep us posted - Prayers coming your way :) Peace

TWC13

When it rains it pours. I have been fighting rectal cancer for the last 2 and 1/2 years. So far I have 6 months of chemo, 52 radiation treatments, experimental radioimmuno therapy and two surgeries as part of my fight. I originally had the primary rectal tumor and 11 plus masses in the liver. I have beat down the cancer in waves, taking 6-8 months with each wave. My last surgery was in january and the ct scan after surgery showed no evidence of disease. This last Tuesday 5/26 I had a screening ct which showed that the cancer has returned to the liver and now is in my lungs. So, now I am gearing up for the next battle of my life. The surgeon will determine if surgery is an option late next week, otherwise I start chemo the week after that.

I know several people on RDC are fighting their own fight against cancer right now and I want you all to know I have promised myself I will do everything in my power to beat this thing. I hope my message will in some small way help you to draw strength for your own fight.

Take care,

Ryan