The State Of Offroad Racing

J Prich

Reaction
We are/were in the same boat with footage, pics, etc. We were small timers and really only racing 2-3 times a year because I was across the country and overseas through most of it so I never really made a legit effort to seek meaningful sponsorship. We were content to just ride with the support we had from places we had relationships with. As a result we have mounds of stuff we never used because we took pics and vids all the time but never invested in posting a lot of it.

That said, the biggest barrier for us in terms of content creation was my own lack of knowledge and skill. I have video editing software but I never really invested much time in learning how to get good at it and everything seemed to take me forever as a result. Even now with simple stuff like editing from Go Pro or smart phone...there are apps that do so much and make it pretty easy, I've just never invested the time to do it. My gut feeling though is that like anything, with a little effort you could probably get pretty good at quick and simple edits right from your smart phone with the apps that are out there these days and same for actual video production. With most software its really not that hard to do the basics at least like title/intro, text overlay, and splicing clips together. Its more of a motivation problem than an ability problem in my case.

The other thing I was going to mention about views is that for things to go viral...they need to be viral. Like when you make a sweet short video, the key to success is getting partners to share that same content. Kind of along the lines of what @TrophyBurro was suggesting previously. When you share your video solely to the 5,000 followers you have (or whatever), those are mostly the only folks that will see it. But when you tag in other social media folks who have more reach, your video starts going places and it typically will circle back to you with more followers. If I share my crash video to my followers, I get 3,000 people to see it maybe. If I send that to @TrophyBurro and he posts it, that video can potentially be seen by a couple 100k. If a handful of those folks repost it too...it takes off. A lot of this is as much about social media strategy as it is content.

It's kind of an interesting topic that's worth it's own conversation really.

TrophyBurro

Reaction
yup... my best video got like 1.8k views and it was unedited lo-res raw Enduro single track... and I wasn't even going fast or crashing and no one flashed anything... I stopped posting videos because I wasn't happy with them, and didn't have time to edit and make them more interesting. I should find me that teenager to edit those vids for me.

1.8k views is good. Nothing to be ashamed of on youtube. Some of these guys have been building channels for 5+ years.
A few 1000 views of guys who are customers and will buy is better than 100k kids that just see a crash and move to next video

TrophyBurro

Reaction
Hmmmm.... May be sending some stuff your way. Behind the scenes 6100 build progress for a new race team.
Hmmmm.... May be sending some stuff your way. Behind the scenes 6100 build progress for a new race team.
I love the #Burrobuilds videos where owners shoot them and talk about the builds.

Huge range of views but they are archived for ever and hope we have one day a massive video database of content ..

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
I love the #Burrobuilds videos where owners shoot them and talk about the builds.

Huge range of views but they are archived for ever and hope we have one day a massive video database of content ..
I'll take a look at this and try to get some similar footage/commentary. It's a tube chassis at this point so not as eye grabbing.

sredish

Reaction
I have a drone, several fancy Nikons, go pros and know how to use it all, been up and down the peninsula enough times and enough different ways. I come home and always say, "why didn't I get more footage".... and it's usually because I didn't have enough time or enough hands. As someone mentioned, you really need to have a crew just for that alone to get any decent content. Planning ahead with shots and notes would be super huge to keep your head in the game and know to be ready the moment an opportunity presents itself.

The views are compounding with subscribers. I'm not sure what it is but I'm sure there's a ratio, maybe simon knows but more followers equals more shares equals more views equals more followers and so on until your follower base is big enough to get your views to the point of going viral. And the moment you forget it about it for 5 minutes, your followers move on to someone else. Can never let up.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I have a drone, several fancy Nikons, go pros and know how to use it all, been up and down the peninsula enough times and enough different ways. I come home and always say, "why didn't I get more footage".... and it's usually because I didn't have enough time or enough hands. As someone mentioned, you really need to have a crew just for that alone to get any decent content. Planning ahead with shots and notes would be super huge to keep your head in the game and know to be ready the moment an opportunity presents itself.

The views are compounding with subscribers. I'm not sure what it is but I'm sure there's a ratio, maybe simon knows but more followers equals more shares equals more views equals more followers and so on until your follower base is big enough to get your views to the point of going viral. And the moment you forget it about it for 5 minutes, your followers move on to someone else. Can never let up.
yup, that is one of the problems of doing it all yourself. I also have the gear (not drone) and then wonder why I didn't get more video/shots, etc... but then, I also have to get ready, actually do some racing, get gas, tie wrap poop back together, etc... most of the time I forget to turn the damn camera on and then after 2hrs it's out of battery, and I forget to swap camera or the battery at the pit. if I wanted to get some B-roll, I'd have to go back and get video of landscapes, pit activity, on-the road video, fake video of me working the bike, fake videos of the hotel/camp site, etc... to get good audio, I'd have to dub over some of the voice or dub sound effects, because usually the audio from the camera is poop, because of wind noise. the noise is probably better in a truck/buggy. I actually have worked on video productions and have been a sound engineer, and worked on commercial video systems for underwater robotics. I'm technically savy enough to get good video/sound, and do post editing/sound dubbing, if I put a lot of effort into it, but the how to edit content for particular audiences on social media is some knowledge I don't have. when I look at my videos, I honestly don't understand why some video get more views then others. when I watch channels, I don't get why some channels are more viral than others...

51rcr

Reaction
I would hire someone to do social media but its hard to find someone thats local to our shop and can go to the races.

We have a ton of content but nobody to go thru it. all of our races in the last year and a half have in car with audio. We get external videos and photos from pros at most if not all races. We have hard drive after hard drive of content but my boys and myself will not take the time to go thru it.

It easier said than to do to get a teenager to make it happen. Teenagers are so dysfunctional now. LOL.

I try to find little things to post but we have a small audience so it really does not go viral in any way. Even our crashes and the girl flashing the boys at V2R dont get much views. the most viewed video on our Youtube channel has 550 views. LOL and it was a in car of a roll over with audio.

So the trick is to get the content to someone that will use it in the right way. Not easy. Haha

here is our youtube channel and you can see some good content with no views. Funny thing is the most viewed video I have done was a IFR departure in my Mirage out of Santa Monica, boring. LOL

You tube Channel

Mike
I can tell when the TT com about. No more plane vids haha

Happy Gilmore

Reaction
Someone posted the length of time people watch Nascar. I think that's the answer. Along with the fundamentals of tik-tok. Super short and entertaining videos. At least for the new generation which is what makes a viral video. No 15 minute video mashing the desert will be a common viral sensation. It's the nature of social media.

Years back, informative videos and what were called "Topic" videos were huge. I think us older video generation folks get the social viral media and topics style media confused. The confusion is not popular with the masses.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Someone posted the length of time people watch Nascar. I think that's the answer. Along with the fundamentals of tik-tok. Super short and entertaining videos. At least for the new generation which is what makes a viral video. No 15 minute video mashing the desert will be a common viral sensation. It's the nature of social media.

Years back, informative videos and what were called "Topic" videos were huge. I think us older video generation folks get the social viral media and topics style media confused. The confusion is not popular with the masses.
that's what I mean. knowing how to edit content for specific social media audiences. youtube videos can be little mini-docs, etc..., however, instagram, tictok, snapchat is more about little snippets of attention grabbers. FB is for old people these days, different audiences, but a successful social media strategy has to address more than one platform to reach target demographics, with different style visuals.

TrophyBurro

Reaction
that's what I mean. knowing how to edit content for specific social media audiences. youtube videos can be little mini-docs, etc..., however, instagram, tictok, snapchat is more about little snippets of attention grabbers. FB is for old people these days, different audiences, but a successful social media strategy has to address more than one platform to reach target demographics, with different style visuals.
Build for youtube and all the rest is easy ..
Show me a big youtube and I bet they have a big ig..
Show me a big IG and not many have big YT.
I am sharing my mistake.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Build for youtube and all the rest is easy ..
Show me a big youtube and I bet they have a big ig..
Show me a big IG and not many have big YT.
I am sharing my mistake.
yes, I think that is one strategy. have them all feed into your YT channel, where all the big product placement/reviews/etc... happens. also, if you are trying to do B2B you can't forget to grab audience from your LinkedIn presence.

SMS81

Reaction
This thread has turned into what’s wrong with our culture.
How about go to school, work hard, make enough money to afford some luxuries like desert racing, become a parent, focus on family, raise smart well educated kids, enjoy your hobby when time allows, teach your children the importance of being well educated and working hard so they can continue enjoying said hobbies. If you want to make some videos somewhere in there that’s great, but don’t lose your real focus on being a productive member of society.
My hat is truly off to the McMillin’s, Sourapas’s and other families who have managed to raise such well educated successful children and have been able to enjoy the desert with them. I guarantee you none of those people are banking on social media clearing their path.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
How about go to school, work hard, make enough money to afford some luxuries like desert racing, become a parent, focus on family, raise smart well educated kids, enjoy your hobby when time allows, teach your children the importance of being well educated and working hard so they can continue enjoying said hobbies. If you want to make some videos somewhere in there that’s great, but don’t lose your real focus on being a productive member of society.
My hat is truly off to the McMillin’s, Sourapas’s and other families who have managed to raise such well educated successful children and have been able to enjoy the desert with them. I guarantee you none of those people are banking on social media clearing their path.
What you are seeing is that all those ADHD kids growing up and being labeled figured out they can make a fortune targeting and marketing to all the ADHD kids following them up the generational ladder. 23 year old mega millionaires- It wasn't because they invented the internet, it is because they figured out how to use it like a financial weapon with a targeted audience.

TrophyBurro

Reaction
I agree with you but that is not what the conversation is about. It started on how can racing be sustainable as a business.

The worlds smartest people are making the most money working out how to get people to spend more time looking at screens and buying stuff online. That is a whole other conversation :)

sredish

Reaction

While that is true, it's definitely related. How do you meld todays off road racing and this sport into what the younger generation coming up wants to support. Ultimately, it's getting their eyes on the screen looking at your feed and media. I think the approach as said, Youtube is probably the end goal and then figure out how to get peope there. My 14 yo daughter watches nothing but youtube, that's her tv. my 19 yo son is YT and IG. My 18 yo step daughter is IG and TT and only YT for music and oogling over favorite artists. I'm in my 40s and only FB to stay in touch with close friends n family and to use the Messenger app to communicate (i feel it's a great way to share media snippets with others).

Trickle effect IG/TT/SC > YT > $$

Think it was also mentioned but kids nowadays need immediate feedback. Unless they've grown up in it, I think there's a lot less younger generational peeps that want to put the work necessary in to building, planning, working... if it's not immediate satisfaction, they move on to something else. Gen ADHD.