The State Of Offroad Racing

cynicwanderer

Reaction
This thread has turned into what’s wrong with our culture.
How about go to school, work hard, make enough money to afford some luxuries like desert racing, become a parent, focus on family, raise smart well educated kids, enjoy your hobby when time allows, teach your children the importance of being well educated and working hard so they can continue enjoying said hobbies. If you want to make some videos somewhere in there that’s great, but don’t lose your real focus on being a productive member of society.
My hat is truly off to the McMillin’s, Sourapas’s and other families who have managed to raise such well educated successful children and have been able to enjoy the desert with them. I guarantee you none of those people are banking on social media clearing their path.
the issue is that businesses are starting to have to depend on these kids as they grow up for their livelihood and as customers since these kids are becoming a sigificant part of the economy. businesses need to adapt their marketing strategy in order to reach these kids (who are growing up). so when we want to find sponsors to help support offroad racing and make it relevant so we can have leverage in convincing lawmakers to let us race on public lands, we need to demonstrate that we can reach this audience or businesses don't want to put their marcom money into sponsoring/advertising there. it's not about selling sticker space on race cars anymore, it's about how well someone's brand has penetrated into social media. i.e. think about how redbull gets kids to start drinking their swill. how do you think your average Gen Z is going to decide which plumber to call when their toilet backs up ? yellow pages ? no, they post something to their social media to commiserate with their friends about how their lives suck because their toilet is backed up, and then next thing they know, there will be little ads targetting their media with local businesses that offer plumbing services... that way your plumbing business you built with your dad and your kids, will get new customers and you can continue your hobby racing because you have money in the bank. if your race team has good social media presence, you can promote your plumbing business, and that's how the kid will decide what plumber to call, because it pops up first/in top. feel free to substitute any real business for "plumbing", it doesn't matter it's just a keyword. or "race team" with cooking or cute puppies, etc...

J Prich

Reaction
This thread has turned into what’s wrong with our culture.
How about go to school, work hard, make enough money to afford some luxuries like desert racing, become a parent, focus on family, raise smart well educated kids, enjoy your hobby when time allows, teach your children the importance of being well educated and working hard so they can continue enjoying said hobbies. If you want to make some videos somewhere in there that’s great, but don’t lose your real focus on being a productive member of society.
My hat is truly off to the McMillin’s, Sourapas’s and other families who have managed to raise such well educated successful children and have been able to enjoy the desert with them. I guarantee you none of those people are banking on social media clearing their path.
I dont personally see that here at all. This convo had nothing to do with how people live their lives. The vast majority of folks in our community are working class people that are already doing everything you listed there. A conversation about how to leverage social media as a tool to support your race program has nothing to do with how people live their daily lives, raise their children, etc. No offense to you personally, I just don’t see the kind of connection you made here to the conversation that’s being had.

sredish

Reaction
I dont personally see that here at all. This convo had nothing to do with how people live their lives. The vast majority of folks in our community are working class people that are already doing everything you listed there. A conversation about how to leverage social media as a tool to support your race program has nothing to do with how people live their daily lives, raise their children, etc.

I think it kinda does in a way because the root of it is reaching people; whether it's racing or needing a plumber. And, only my opinion but I feel this working class society is steadily diminishing. I'm in the fire service; we see it with the new kids, the military is literally adjusting their minimums to meet the new society, it's just a new world that anyone older than 25 has to adapt to. The differences between age groups is getting more significant and anyone under 20 is an alien haha....

MTPyle

Reaction
JPrich is so PC and well spoken. Haha Love it. I think I need to start having all my post go thru J Prich to get cleaned up before I post them.

Its been a good conversation for me. I have learned a lot and these things will help us be better. Thanks TrophyBurro for the post today.

One thing I just learned is people really want to see a face. Problem is I do not want to be all over social media personally. Which gave me great idea. We just bought back Scotty Dogg to our team as a Co driver. He is all over social media. So Maybe I get him to post more for us, but then I have him as an official spokesperson and if he says or does something stupid its on us. Haha

Mike

SMS81

Reaction
understood, all that I am trying to state is that hard work will pay off dividends with much more success than the crap shoot of social media. I’m not saying social media is not hard work, I am saying it is not guaranteed. There are reasons why very few are SM stars, stars fizzle btw, Why not just become self sufficient, then if you feel like taking on the task of SM more power to you. Sponsorship always sounds great, but it’s a job in itself. I guess the pipe dream of becoming a rich off-road racer and social media star is just too appealing.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
understood, all that I am trying to state is that hard work will pay off dividends with much more success than the crap shoot of social media. I’m not saying social media is not hard work, I am saying it is not guaranteed. There are reasons why very few are SM stars, stars fizzle btw, Why not just become self sufficient, then if you feel like taking on the task of SM more power to you. Sponsorship always sounds great, but it’s a job in itself. I guess the pipe dream of becoming a rich off-road racer and social media star is just too appealing.
Here is what you're missing. All of those people you listed and including yourself have had family businesses that started before the current generation. Its much easier to make $$ with $$. So sure when you already have a great family business established its easy to pass it along to the kids and keep it going and play with cool toys with spare $$.

Now days if you don't come from a well off well established family you have to figure out how to make the $$$ to be able to go and race and have toys. With social media now days this can be done. I am making more $$ with social media now than I ever have in my life at any job I've worked at. So am I doing it wrong? No I think I am just keeping up with the times or trying to stay ahead of them. Times are changing its not just all blue collar jobs anymore to make $$. You can make good $$ on the internet :)

Last edited:

TrophyBurro

Reaction
Here is what you're missing. All of those people you listed and including yourself have had family businesses that started before the current generation. Its must easier to make $$ with $$. So sure when you already have a great family business established its easy to pass it along to the kids and keep it going and play with cool toys with spare $$.

Now days if you don't come from a well off well established family you have to figure out how to make the $$$ to be able to go and race and have toys. With social media now days this can be done. I am making more $$ with social media now than I ever have in my life at any job I've worked at. So am I doing it wrong? No I think I am just keeping up with the times or trying to stay ahead of them. Times are changing its not just all blue collar jobs anymore to make $$. You can make good $$ on the internet :)

You are killing it and a perfect example that you don't need millions of views and followers to carve out a great niche..

MTPyle

Reaction
One thing is sure, if I spent more time working in my business than being on here or obsessing over racing I could afford a Mason TT. LOL

Actually I was talking to Dana @utb_west_coast about a new box truck and really could not afford what I want. Kind of pissed me off. So I decided to focus on how to make enough that I could call Dana and say build be the best you have, just make mine like Concrete Motorsports rigs. Haha Since then I started a new Digital art wall business and we are about to launch next month. So we will see if Dana gave me the motivation I needed.

LOL

Mike

SMS81

Reaction
Here is what you're missing. All of those people you listed and including yourself have had family businesses that started before the current generation. Its must easier to make $$ with $$. So sure when you already have a great family business established its easy to pass it along to the kids and keep it going and play with cool toys with spare $$.

Wish I was born into it, unfortunately my family immigrated here with absolutely nothing, Like many, I put myself through college, got a good degree and started a business. The idea that you cannot make money without SM is ridiculous. Yes it is an avenue, and hopefully your road doesn’t end. Hard to fall back on something if you didn’t build a foundation.

The best part about this thread is I am getting flamed for suggesting people get educated and work hard to receive a good income. The future looks great! Carry on with the easy money debate. Good luck.

Last edited:

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Wish I was born into it, unfortunately my family immigrated here with absolutely nothing, I put myself through college, got a good degree and started a business. The idea that you cannot make money without SM is ridiculous. Yes it is an avenue, and hopefully your road doesn’t end. Hard to fall back on something if you didn’t build a foundation.

The best part about this thread is I am getting flamed for suggesting people get educated and work hard to receive a good income. The future looks great! Carry on with the easy money debate. Good luck.
I for some reason thought you were Steve Scaroni lol. I swear his username is almost the same as yours, I guess I don't come on RDC enough anymore if you're not him lol. I stand by the rest of my statement though. Just because social media is something new to a lot of the older generations doesnt mean its not the future and it can lead to many other things along the way.

J Prich

Reaction
Wish I was born into it, unfortunately my family immigrated here with absolutely nothing, Like many, I put myself through college, got a good degree and started a business. The idea that you cannot make money without SM is ridiculous. Yes it is an avenue, and hopefully your road doesn’t end. Hard to fall back on something if you didn’t build a foundation.

Yeah to be clear I for one am not flaming you at all. I disagree with the connection your point was making but no one is disputing the value of hard work, education, etc. Having a good value system and using social media are not mutually exclusive.

The example I always use as the model I personally admire is what Nick and Chris Isenhouer have done. Doesn’t get more old fashion working class values than their family. What they’ve done with their race program based on effective use of social media shows how a working class/budget team can leverage it to improve their program. I’m a huge fan of them and am personally inspired by what they’ve created for themselves and their families. They show that you don’t have to act like a Kardashian on social media to tell your story and connect with people.

Last edited:

SMS81

Reaction
I for some reason thought you were Steve Scaroni lol. I swear his username is almost the same as yours, I guess I don't come on RDC enough anymore if you're not him lol. I stand by the rest of my statement though. Just because social media is something new to a lot of the older generations doesnt mean its not the future and it can lead to many other things along the way.
Fish, great job on building a successful growing brand and business, it’s hard work. Please use some of your skills and following to help focus on the preservation of our lands and start debate on topics that matter most to the off-road community. Thx.

Now that’s way off topic, just really upset about our dunes closing at Pismo!!

Offspring

Reaction
Social Media: never having to say you're sorry.

51rcr

Reaction
really with generational thinking someone that actually does work and physical work, especially something that most dont want to deal with. What are they called now, Essential workers are going to be making the real money. You can see it already. The millennials or whatever generation they call it now(seems gen X was the last deffinite gerneration name). The ones in that group that want to work are killing it. They got and are getting the good jobs and starting at the top pay the last of the Baby boomers retiring at. The ones they tied up for 2 generations almost.
Now back to the social media thing. Look what nascar and monster jam did with fans and product with TV. Now anyone can grab an audience without a major network or magazine or newspaper. Still nothing like a magazine cover or article though. People love the new thing or product there favorite IG,YT,IG,FB ect. Still nothing like in person though. People see a truck at a fuel station with a name one it and they go thats neat, whats it do. There bored with watever they follow so search it and go wow thats neat. new follower to bring into the sport.
Sure its funny to us to see names and IG names on vehicles but thats how they are brought in easy. Not like the days of a show car or drag car having a name and seeing it in a magazine and the owner saying what parts and product is on or in the car.
Sounds good. But for me racing is part of my life and hard work at some point something will happen. Sure would be great the time and work spent making content would pay better then how iam trying to do it now. haha. My grandpa had a small time AMC Trans am team in the 60s for a few years. He said he learned something the hard way, never race with your own money.
So now if you can find a nitch or gimmick with nothing you can build and have something. Now to figure that out. The UTVs have brought lots of people back into off road and i hope that helps save open land and be amazing but bring some closed land back.
Just like in normal business you can fight and be selfish and try to keep a little piece for your self or share and grow together. Thats where cross sharing the @ and the # or whatever the new thing is and have some standards. Can do some cross stealing # like everyone does on #trophytruck half are not a T whatever truck.

jon coleman

Reaction
hot chicks always help.... 🤱
the ' fast & furious' effect, hot chicks sell, an off road team of fat, beer chugging hillbillys aint gonna fly on the sm band wagon, unless you can get those hot chicks trained enough to find your broke a$$ race car in the deepest darkest BaJa at 3 am somewhere around El Arco, gotta stick with ugly volunteers to race ,thats the cunnudrum of a previous post, hard work , ethics, raising a family, getting a career up and running is ,aaaa, hard work....

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I think you can go racing by getting an education, working hard, and planning your race budget accordingly. I guess if you think about it, it is just like the 'Peter Principle' in the business world. You can only race at the level you can afford. You can try to race at a level above your pay grade, but reality is, in off road, You won't last long doing that. In that regard, folks who get an education ( either through school or through the trades) will earn a good living if they work hard enough and can go racing at the level they can afford. Trying to do it on minimum wage these days is pretty much impossible. But you can do it without any social media action or influence. Ad that is t ha always been. The folks who get a full boat of cash to go racing are few and far between, from any source. Big fortunes become small fortunes for the fun factor for most here.