• Forum membership has its advantages....

The Subaru Crosstrek Enters the Baja 500 with Grabowski Brothers Racing and Crawford Performance

5racer

its 3500 + pounds with 500lbs of UN sprung +or- lbs its fast when it runs its just the keeping it running is the problem the kids are great drivers and good all around guys they just need need to go on a jenny Craig to get home is all

mattb

How is that thing a 5 car? Did they just throw all the rules out the window? Did "5" just become a short WB beam car open class?
I had a long c Nveration with them in contingency about this question. And the short answer is yes.

Unbenowenced to me, SCORE change do the rules (shocker) on 5U class and you can run anything under 2.5L. They seem to be very close to working out the bugs, and have worked their azzes off getting everything in their motor package to communicate correctly. Subaru appears to be using them as a test mule to get that motor dialed in for bigger things.

Bro_Gill

But the body was no where near a VW based anything. Last I saw, yeah, they allow any 2.5 liter normally aspirated motor, but it still says VW Baja Bug body needed. They didn't even use a Subaru Baja!

MasTacos

Never saw any 5 opens through RM80
/QUOTE]

was that the only 5 car enterd? A lot of car to not make 80 miles
So how'd they do?
I was driving a chase truck up from Urupan to Lagrimas at RM58-ish to get our 8 truck out and saw them coming down from the access to RM70 through the vineyard with one of their chase guys towing the car. I didn't ask them what happened but they all looked ok, just very dirty and tired.

mattb

But the body was no where near a VW based anything. Last I saw, yeah, they allow any 2.5 liter normally aspirated motor, but it still says VW Baja Bug body needed. They didn't even use a Subaru Baja!
In person, I felt it definitely looked like a 5U Baja bug.

Bro_Gill

In person, I felt it definitely looked like a 5U Baja bug.
Why? Because it had a beam? I have never seen a Bug Convertible, type 3, even a 914 with so many straight edges and square corners. If this is the way the class is going, then make the rules say it. Otherwise, this was just an old class 6 silhouette class car from the 1980s.

Baja Belk

Never saw them come through 155, clutch issue I think. @partybarge I agree, what happened to the rule book saying vw windshield frame and doors? The engine rules are wide open now so it was bound to happen eventually.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
Ah. Bummer. That was a hell of a PR campaign.

E. Araiza

whatever it is, it's a beautiful car, we did a feature vehicle shoot right before contingency, photos coming soon!

M.Harvey1600

I remember all of the Porsche 911's racing back in the 80's and 90's. I don't know if the rules ever stated that class 5 had to be a Volkswagen bug/ convertible.
IMG_2659.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg
IMG_2658.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg
IMG_2664.jpg
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2661.jpg

I could be wrong but I thought they allowed certain body styles like the Porsche. I don't see a problem with the body

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

pgarfinkle

Current SNORE rule (pretty sure its been like this for awhile and with all orgs):

upload_2017-6-8_13-48-54.png