The true American stimulus package

Matt Stevens

Reaction
In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else and perhaps even their job.
So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track. Let's get behind her!!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy. It is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy
it any more. My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico now.
I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything. This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 6 light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off brand labeled, "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this the USA in a company in Cleveland, Ohio. So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here. So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets....yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada. The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years and at almost half the price! So my challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors! If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from China ...........(We should have awakened a decade ago..) Let's get with the program.... help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the U.S.A.!!!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

johnnyweb

Reaction
I think i will start paying more attention to things like this. Thanks for the reminder.

Pee Wee

Reaction
Unions are what make the jobs leave the states in the first place.
They have their place but have also been known to do damage.

Shred918

Reaction
I agree that the unions have caused a lot of issues with people getting paid way to much to do a simple job. Hell look at the automaker, I think that is a big reason behind the expense of cars.

I think in the inception of the unions they had a place because of the labor laws. Now I think they are a thorn.

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
This is serious stuff, seriously lets not turn this into a union debate. Its about jobs and unemployment. Its time we stand up for our country and take care of our own like our grandparents did.If what you buy is not employing someone in the U S A don't buy it.This needs to be spread everyway and as often as possible and we cannot let up. How dare these corporations to move their factories to another country and put Americans out of work.They dont lower their prices they just make more profit and give the CEO'S million dollar bonuses for screwing Americans out of work.Its time look at the package and only buy MADE IN THE USA!!!!

Jeepspeedster

Reaction
My Chevy pick up was made in Canada with transmission problems, while the Dodge truck came form Mexico with brake problems.
To my surprise my latest tow vehicle, a Toyota Tundra, was made in Texas of all places. and is has givin me many truble free miles.

trust the U.S. workforce and forget the name on the box

big ed

Reaction
My Chevy pick up was made in Canada with transmission problems, while the Dodge truck came form Mexico with brake problems.
To my surprise my latest tow vehicle, a Toyota Tundra, was made in Texas of all places. and is has givin me many truble free miles.

assembled in Texas with Japanese parts, but you got to start somewhere!

SKISPEED

Reaction
My tahoe was assembled in texas. That truck has been one of the best I have ever owned and the money didnt leave the country after I bought it.

C.Bojorquez

Reaction
Well... the cars are assamble in Mexico or other countries but not all the parts are made in that country ( transmission, engine, etcc) and about that daily products... I am very shure that those big companies like GE or Chevy etc.. etc.. manufactured they products in countries like Brasil, Mexico, china or any other 3rd world countries cause it is way cheaper than manufacture in the states. For example in Mexico the minimum wage is 52 pesos per day ( less then 4 dlls x day) so if you manufacture most of your products in one of these countries you can make more profit or offer better prices to your final customers but as always companies always go for the better profit than best prices...

my 2 cents

my 2 cents

Yumaoffroad

Reaction
dont blame other countries blame the greedy company owners looking for cheaper labor to make profit here......
I went to guadalajara mexico this summer and you would not believe how many things are made in mexico.. the fat cat company owners pay their employees loose change. I remember a few years back when the US border patrol suits where made in mexico labeled it was all over the news.

Last edited:

steelman

Reaction
I have been in and around the Cattle Industry all my life, we found out that Mcdonald's no longer purchases American Beef! We don't even stop there for a drink or ice cream anymore. We spread the word around our business and now none of our 35 employees go there either. Make a statement people.

JoesEdge

Reaction
I have been trying to pay attention to those labels too. I'm proud when I make a purchase and it has the "Made in the USA" label on it. Of course, some things just aren't made here anymore such as computers and other tech stuff. Most, if not all, is made overseas. That's kinda sad, I think.

Although, I feel like a total hypocrite because I'm employed by a Chinese company who imports Chinese made goods. :( Well, well at least they pay my bills, which goes on to help American companies. But hey, if anyone knows of an American company who is hiring for someone in their I.T. department in the L.A. area then send them my way. ;)

C flips

Reaction
Although, I feel like a total hypocrite because I'm employed by a Chinese company who imports Chinese made goods. :( Well, well at least they pay my bills, which goes on to help American companies. But hey, if anyone knows of an American company who is hiring for someone in their I.T. department in the L.A. area then send them my way. ;)

Have you ever considered working for a hospital IT department? I always see job openings at the hospital I work for. No better place to work in. If you get sick, you can get treated on the job.

Baja Fool

Reaction
In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else and perhaps even their job.
So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track. Let's get behind her!!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy. It is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy
it any more. My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico now.
I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything. This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 6 light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off brand labeled, "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this the USA in a company in Cleveland, Ohio. So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here. So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets....yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada. The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years and at almost half the price! So my challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors! If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from China ...........(We should have awakened a decade ago..) Let's get with the program.... help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the U.S.A.!!!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
This post is right on....Don't start pointing fingers at somebody/entiity of why or how we are where we are, just go out and support U.S. companies that use U.S. labor that produce goods that source the basic materials from the U.S.

Simple really..... I drive Ford Trucks, wear New Balance shoes (over 70% are made in the U.S.A. and are marked accordingly), don't eat Hershey's, don't wear Nike.

I will take a look at the goods you've outlined, Matt and now everything I purchase will be scrutinized. USA, USA, USA.....

Alex Paterson

Reaction
dont blame other countries blame the greedy company owners looking for cheaper labor to make profit here......
I went to guadalajara mexico this summer and you would not believe how many things are made in mexico.. the fat cat company owners pay their employees loose change. I remember a few years back when the US border patrol suits where made in mexico labeled it was all over the news.

But ask yourself, is it really the greedy company or the ever low-priced seeking American consumer? We drive the value of an item and force a manufacturer to either find cheaper labor or go out of business. This needs to be taken into consideration in not only what you buy but were you buy it. Americans love to save 50 cents but at what cost?

This topic brings up something in my life. My wife and I are having our first child (its going to be a girl :) ) and while shopping for baby supplies we have the option of

A) Babies-r-Us which is a national chain and employese local Tucsonans

B) Aldrich Baby News, locally owned and operated but slightly more expensive then Babies-r-US

C) dot.com business, internet based stuff.

My mother wanted to purchase us a nice stroller and wanted to go to Aldrich Baby news to support the local economy. They were VERY helpful and maybe 5% more then the box stores. We are going to register there and support the local economy. I am a small business owner and need the support of the local economy just like they do.

BTW, conversations like this go on all day long in Purple.

-Alex :)

Scrapiron

Reaction

Where do you think the profit from your Toyota went? Not the USA

TyBo1001

Reaction
So which is better? A product that is assembled outside of the US for a US owned company or a product assembled in the US for a foreign owned... My personal opinion, I would rather buy something build here in the US, it creates jobs (assembly, dealerships, etc...) and they are usually sold here in the US. IMO the profit from a US or Foreign company is something the common person never sees or benefits from (and it didn't seem to help GM too much...) I buy American whenever I can though, to try and support the US the best I can.