The ultimate off-road chase truck

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
This isn't as glamorous lookin as all these toolbox bed trucks but I think it's perfect. It belongs to my friend Philo. It's called "oil hammer". Philo and I usually rove when we chase. We're the guys who stay as close to the car as possible. Our job is to be there if they need us and this heavy beast is comfortable for those long days and can get literally anywhere with the big tires, and big power. It's surprisingly nimble and has certainly earned its stripes prerunning and chasing. We've done some amazing chase/pit/retrieval stuff in this thing.

Dodge Cummins crew cab with
Full roll cage

It has a very custom center console.
Pci radios system that we can monitor weatherman, our race Chanel and our chase Chanel with mag mount external speaker
We can bring outside in and out of the truck if were running a pit.

Satellite stereo with sub.

Tv in dash and one in the back and a Lowrance in the dash. There are red and white led strips in the ceiling. The reds are subtle and always on and are helpful finding the thing you dropped on the floor at night. These are great. I love them. The whites are bright as hell when you need them.

The floors and roof are bedlined.

Race seats in front and rear seat recovered to match

Auxiliary fuel tank that is plumbed into the main tank and auto transfers. I think I total it holds 87 gallons. We never need fuel.

There's also a big water tank in the bed that has a hose that stores away. (This has been really handy.)

Methods wrapped in 39 inch toyos (race take offs)

Simple shelf chase rack. Holds two 39s for the truck and then has arms on the outside that hold two spares for the race car.

Shelf holds pit boxes and safety stuff.

Light bar on the front bumper and recessed led lights in the rear bumper.

Telescoping led work lights.

There's also side facing led lights on the roof rack. These are super helpful when looking for access roads in the dark.

Amber rear facing dust light.

A few cables and padlocks and the gear is fairly secure.

One of the best features is the solar panels on the roof. You can literally turn on all the lights, stereo, radios etc, walk away from the truck for a week and it will start up right away.

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

The gigantic flaw is there's no sun visors.

In the end, it's tuff, tall, comphy, capable, fast, strong and safe. It's perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
It doesn't have to be pretty to get the job done....

It is pretty though. Pretty useful. I like the tool box trucks but we pass them in the dirt and I watch guys be more worried about their wrap than if their radios work or if their truck has decent ground clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johndjmix

Reaction
The issue I'm having with my F350 is it's a shortbed. It's new (2016) so I'm not going to chop and extend the frame. I've seen a few shortbed service body's but wish I got a long bed. The truck is used exclusively for a chase / tow vehicle for our truck.

I know one option for a shortbed service body but any others are welcome as I'd like some choices before I decide.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Robin Hood

Reaction
The issue I'm having with my F350 is it's a shortbed. It's new (2016) so I'm not going to chop and extend the frame. I've seen a few shortbed service body's but wish I got a long bed. The truck is used exclusively for a chase / tow vehicle for our truck.

I know one option for a shortbed service body but any others are welcome as I'd like some choices before I decide.

There are some pretty good deals out there on 2016 long beds

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction

vegasloki

Reaction

Easy solution... Use that truck as a recovery truck and lease an M2 or find and old FL70 and fully pimp it out as a pit truck.

P4XL_Red_8.jpg

:D:eek:

JDDurfey

Reaction
Speaking of Freightliner...I was at a grand opening for a dealership last week and listened to some reps blow their hot air.

I was impressed however, with how in tune with customers the factory is when it comes to "vocational" trucks. Like the FL70 size. If you know what you are going to mount on the chassis and have drawings, they will pre-drill the holes and engineer the frame for your application. They have changed the way they do business and work strongly with "up-fitter" companies to produce what the end user needs. They have many 4x4 options available, including Marmon-Herrington as well. Marmon-Herrington has been converting medium and heavy duty trucks to all wheel drive for a long time. There is even a hydraulic assist front end that can be purchased that can be used when traveling less than 20 mph that would come in very handy if you don't want to do the whole front diff. It has drive motors on each front wheel.

We just bought a 4x4 International at the fire department I volunteer on that could be made into a great off-road pit truck. I wouldn't use it for recovery and chasing, but for setting up a pit in Baja where 4x4 could be needed it is a cool setup.

vegasloki

Reaction
I was teasing John that rather than trade his in and spend another 20-30k on a long bed F350 with a box to spend another 200k-300k plus. It's racer math. :D

The M2 in the pic is from an outfitter called Sport Chassis. That one is a factory 4x4 with the rest from the outfitter. SportChassis

AZ7000'

Reaction

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction

General Truck Body did this short bed. I really like it and we are looking at it as an option for a future truck for one of my Rescue teams. The nice thing is Dana knows our sport and the abuse that we take them through. Ours will likely.be a short bed but with a full pass through front compartment for added storage of extrication equipment.

IMG_0597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

51rcr

Reaction

you can have a custom service body made. Have and extended length in the rear. maybe find and 8 foot box you can just make a new wheel well if the boxes clear. Sould do a flat

Lots of places make custom service beds. You could do extended length, the recessed reciver in bumper makes for and extra foot in the bed. Also could do a longer flat bed and they have a goose and hitch on it. we put a 450 flat bed on my kids long box. Goose is just on back side of axle and a lil more leverage on tounge trailers it has a welder and boxes on it and takes it all well. Just add the boxes ya want on the bed. We put them all around the bottom and on top. I also put a 450 utility bed on my 350 long box. Try Dakota bodies in Water town SD for a custom utility bed. American truck boxes in Mitchell SD make custom add on boxes that be great for flat beds.

Last edited:

J Burleson

Reaction
image.jpg
Here is how I solved my dilemma of not having big$ to spend on a short bed utility box. I bought a decently clean/straight long bed off craigslist for $100 then bobbed it to be a short bed! I took exactly the length of the rearward door in the front cabinet to do it. It had a full pass thru in the front which became just the right size to mount a nitrogen bottle once it was bobbed! The truck is an 93 460 4x4 that was a Swift Motorsports Rough Riders chase truck when new. I always joke that I can let go of the wheel once I get to Baja cause it knows it way around so well! I just did the utility bed before the 500 and plan to have it fully kitted out for the 1000(roof rack, tire swingers, and configured bed for dump cans etc) I wish she were a diesel, but with a 16gal front tank and 38 ish gal in back I should be good for 450-500 miles if I keep my foot out of it. I have tentatively named it "Trusty Rusty".

Mike321

Reaction
The floors and roof are bedlined.

Doesn't bedliner reduce VHF on the top? This is the best I could come up with for a headliner in mine -- yes, somewhat unrelated.

Attachments

• headliner.JPG
    headliner.JPG
    540.1 KB · Views: 714

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Doesn't bed liner reduce VHF on the top? This is the best I could come up with for a headliner in mine -- yes, somewhat unrelated.
I should have said the ceiling is bed lined. Not the roof.

There's three radio antennas, the kind that don't need to be mounted on a ground plane. They are all on the rack that holds the solar panels. I'm unsure what the range is but its all PCI stuff and it works pretty damn good.