The ultimate off-road chase truck

sirensproject

Reaction
Glad this thread has been brought back! I've been lurking for a long time.

I'm in the process of building a disaster response truck for our non profit. Our platform is a 2015 F-250 with a Knapheide service body and Weatherguard tool boxes. We swapped the beds last week, and plan on stocking it up with sawyer equipment for critical debris removal. Baja chase trucks have been an inspiration for a long time for a build like this.

Current plan for suspension, wheels, and tires is to install a Carli 4.5" suspension system, Level 8 Hauler wheels, and 35x12.5r17 Toyo AT3s.

Do chase trucks typically run 35s or 37s? I ask because 37s look great in my opinion, but I worry about service body usability and towing. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. There are some beautiful trucks here!

IMG_20210206_171938_457.jpg

IMG_20210206_171938_459.jpg

sredish

Reaction
chase truck = 50% pit truck / 50% recovery truck?

or is a recovery truck a form of a chase truck that can also double as a remote pit truck or is it a stand alone rig?

baja is pretty much anything goes and adapt to your needs. the demands of a tt chase truck are probably a lot different than the demands of a utv chase truck or a moto chase truck.

Last edited:

E.Hagle

Reaction
I agree that there are two types of chase trucks. It’s not talked about much but the smaller teams that don’t have semi trucks and enclosed trailers seem to have a one main highway style rig for parts and tools and more lightweight off-road capable that can still haul necessary parts out into the middle of nowhere at a little faster pace.

I think having BFG or other pit services really makes racing even feasible for us down in Mexico, without them we’d need to have 25 people instead on 12.

Fifty

Reaction
On the chase truck more than pit truck... with the weight on the trail getting to where you need to be in a reliable speed; what are you doing for shocks?
Is the king stock series typical 2.5 body shock up to the task of these heavy trucks?

DZRTCHS1

Reaction

sredish

Reaction
On the chase truck more than pit truck... with the weight on the trail getting to where you need to be in a reliable speed; what are you doing for shocks?
Is the king stock series typical 2.5 body shock up to the task of these heavy trucks?
My truck fully baja loaded, 2 spares, full fuel weighs in at 4400 front / 4000 rear. I run 2.5s because of the short coilover body I can get with the 2.5 but I went with extended length reservoirs (finned up front) to help with the cooling and they've honestly done amazingly well for the size. just rebuilt them and added comp adjusters to the front. They look great at 10 years old and have taken me all over the peninsula, top to bottom.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Nothing fancy here, just a bone stock 2010 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior. We've done RECORD races with just this chase truck for both a UTV and a TT Spec. I'm usually sent to the worse parts of the big races like the Baja 500 and 1000 lol. My race days are pretty long...

1614195905301.png
1614195923781.png

FourLow

Reaction
I’m glad this thread made a come back. I’m running an 03 F250 6.0, with a Load ‘N Go box by Fleetwest. I ran it during the 2020 V2R and it worked really well. There’s a full length slide out drawer that was perfect for fueling mats and tarps, and the boxes were big enough for to fit a 110v welder and bottle in.
13E079F6-81A9-4C9C-8259-2DC38C399986.jpeg

ciscokid8

Reaction
I’m glad this thread made a come back. I’m running an 03 F250 6.0, with a Load ‘N Go box by Fleetwest. I ran it during the 2020 V2R and it worked really well. There’s a full length slide out drawer that was perfect for fueling mats and tarps, and the boxes were big enough for to fit a 110v welder and bottle in. View attachment 223698
This just gave me a great idea! Thanks for posting!