• Forum membership has its advantages....

The Vision Thing

TimHayosh

I was pointed to this in another message board I read. It is a "big picture" vision of an organization which promotes a form of motorsport which currently has about the same exposure to the public as desert racing. The SCCA is taking steps to get rallying to the American public. To view the 14 page .pdf document, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.scca.org/amateur/performance_rally/VisionGuide.pdf>click here.</A> As you will see, the SCCA will be bringing a World Rally Championship event here to the states. This is a big deal. Like F1 going to Indy.

One aspect of this vision, is that it has a 'grass roots' development program built in. In other words, they are looking at their sport in the long term as well as the near. At the top level, the "pro's" have the same rewards as we are used to now, but with more TV and other media coverage. (A media package which is cognizant of the fact that numerous classes make viewing a challenge for the uninitiated.)

The reason I bring this up, is to start a conversation among racers about submitting to a central authority rather than individual promoters. The promoters still organize their individual events and make their money, but the format and rules would be the same from promoter to promoter. In essence, this may do away with the need for organizations like PRODirt. Meaning, the racers don't have to organize themselves to get what they want. Ideally, all racers benefit. A national points series with events spread among participating promoters would be the result (sound familiar?). At the uppermost level, there are only 4 classes. At the midlevel would be those 4 plus all the rest that we currently have. At the lowest level could be low-cost events for non-race vehicles (pre-runners?).These could be short course or time trial type events. (Just an idea). These events are designed to bring "new blood" into the sport.

I am not saying that I am for or against this, I would just be interested in what others think.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TimHayosh on 09/28/01 04:25 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Paige

Great idea Tim! It has been tried - remember Summit Off-Road Racing Organization? - that is what they were supposed to do. I think part of the problem is getting the racing orgs to agree on anything that potentially limits their customer base in the short run cause many live race to race - esp. the smaller ones and a low turn out or decreased schedule could have an effect on their bottom line. But a great idea none-the-less and probably the only way to grow the sport - but then again, some people are happy with the way things are now and don't see a need to grow the sport while others want to grow the sport. A lot of different view points to satisfy.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>
www.cordr.com</A>

HTTP404

Why bother? This sport is dead.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
There is a very educated response!!! NOT! And why is this person still allowed to post. Their profile is not filled out.

AND HTTP404 why don't you show up to the Expo and then decide if the sport is dead. I think you will see you are very wrong!

Tony

rdc

I'm with you Tim. I have opened this can of worms more than a few times and have received nothing but grief for doing so, mostly from racers. Most of whom had no better argument other than the fact that I'm not a racer there for I have no idea what I'm talking about. And they are probably right, so I have gotten into rally. I still love off-road and always will as long as it is around. And for anyone else interested in checking rally out, do it. It is easy and super cheap to get into. I did an intro. class on driving last week for $25.00 and I'm doing a full on Rally class next month which includes my first Rally Cross race for national points on the following day. This is an SCCA/CRS event and is all done in my stock WRX. And all it takes is a helmet and $80.00. Then the events after that are only $35.00. Granted this is all entry level racing and is only for trophy’s and bragging rights but the point is that it is racing, fun as hell, and they make it so ANYBODY can do it. Any, as anyone can see from the link that Tim put up, the SCCA is all class and moving (jumping) forward to expand the sport and doing it in all the right ways. Check it out if you get a chance, new comers are always welcome. In fact, that is where the SCCA puts all their emphasis, new people to expand the sport. What a concept.

<font color=red>Rally Expert<font color=red>

Waldo

Safehouse
HTTP 404, why don't you fill out your profile? Is it because you can't make any educated comments on these subjects? My dad taught me a long time ago, "If you can't say something nice, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

HTTP404

Look at this sport in 1988. Look at it today. Consider the huge explosion in the popularity of motorsports over the last 5 years or so. Can you say missed the boat?

Look at this board for an example. The two most active threads in the last week were about Herbst's damn hele, and some guy's 'way cool' Explorer.

BeepBeep!!!

Junior

John please pull the plug on this http404 idiot!

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Waldo

Safehouse
3rd- Motion to be granted, all in favor say "I". IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

HTTP404

What have I done to deserve getting booted? I expressed a valid opinion. I'm not flaming anyone(like some of you are). I'm sorry if the truth hurts.

Waldo

Safehouse
You make a comment about the sport being dead...Well then don't be an enthusiast in this sport. Then you make a comment about this board...You don't like the threads or the most common discussions, then don't be apart of this board. Plain and simple.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

BradM

I don't think anyone objects to your opinion as long as you stand behind it. If you fill our your profile then at least everyone knows where that opinion came from and somehow that makes it have a certain validity. That's what I believe they were referring to. I have to agree.

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight

rdc

The rules are fill out your profile or get booted.. We all have complied with this. Why must you hide and not reveal who you are? And you are slamming all of us when you tell us our sport is dead and we need to wake up.

Tony

RacnCPA

Hey Http404 why are you talking like this. I know you don't really feel this way and you're giving these poeople the wrong impression. Send me a PRIVATE email and let me know why you feel this way. Thanks.

Sc

Mike_HKmtrsprts

HTTP.... we dont need your negative opinions so keep them to yourself if the sport is so dead then why are you checking out this web site?? and if your going to hang around here FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE.

You must be Fast cuz I was HAULIN ASS when I passed you...

Paige

Let's get back to the question posed originally-how do we better the sport.

To reiterate what has been said before:

1. many of the manufactures went to Nastruck - cause of the tv exposure.
2. In the 80's a recession hit and many manufactures pulled $$ out of racing or R & D.
3. With it being a more global economy - companies are looking at where they are putting their $$ and what the rate of return on their inverstment is
4. Media is not spending the $$ to cover these events when they get more bang for their buck at roundy-round events and
5. We have just as many racers as we used to - we just now have more promoters than SCORE/HDRA - so just as many are racing, its just more spread out.

That being said - how do we get a NASCAR type of situation set up? that seems to be the prevailing question, only problem is how do you get all the promoters to agree, all the classes to agree and the list goes on. I agree that the sport used to be much bigger and we used to be on ABC's wide world of sports and the cover of the la times, but with the demise of HDRA, sal hitting some rough times and the emergence of several smaller promoters, the racing "family" as it were, became fractured and therefore, smaller, harder to cover and not enough exposure for the big $$.

Getting off-roaders to agree on anything - is like hearding cats, so until we find a good "chief cat herder" this question will be raised over and over, until someone provides a viable solution that everyone can live with. I for one welcome the viable solution and have gone round and round trying to find it myself and so far - to no avail- which is how I learned 1-5 listed above.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>
www.cordr.com</A>

MNotary

SUMMIT was a BIG letdown. You would think the rules for all the classes would have been refined. The classes that are not relevent would be blended to another class.... There is enough high dollar guys (maybe 25 to 30) that could travel all over the US, but it would have to be one class, 2 wheel drive full size truck. The races could be a combination of short course and desert racing. The support races could be the "other" classes, depending on the location in the country.

Junior

I know NASCAR and desert racing are quite different, especially when it comes to TV coverage but just how did NASCAR get so successful and how can we apply those principals here? It seems like the Bush series and the truck series are as to Winston cup as the minors are to big league baseball. Can we apply that here? How about the success of Rally racing, can we learn anything from them? Those Rally events must be very difficult to cover but it gets done, and how!

I was watching a midget race on ESPN the other day and when a camera panned the empty grand stands I thought to my self, why is this race shown on ESPN, in its entirety, including pre-race and post-race interviews while not a single desert race gets on ESPN? How many fans spectate the Baja 500 or the Baja 1000? Must be thousands.

Junior
EJR Racing #244