The WAVE

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
What is the deal with the Motorcycle wave? Where did it come from? And It seems that all the rice rockets and Jesse James wanna bee's are too good to do it.

desertracer

Reaction
Too me it seems like the explosion of freestyle mx on espn and at the x-games has brought motorcycle riding much more mainstream. Before supercross was very popular but it did not have enough to put it over the top. Now between the video's and clothing, riding a motorcyle is very trendy. This is good for the owners of all the prkduct companies but I hope that it does not take away from the true meaning and fun of the sport. Think this is what your asking but not to sure.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Do you mean the wave between fellow riders when passing opposite ways on the street?? If so I think its a mutual respect type thing, like hey look at me, we have the same likes. But as for the Jesse James guys they are riding for the cool factor and not for the love of having the openess feeling of riding down an open road on a bike.

NORCALf150

Reaction
i think hes refering to the wave as in a friendly wave while passing, have no clue where it came from i think it was just somethign you did out of respect for a fellow biker, ive been around bikes and bikers all my life, dads in "81" and there wernt to many friendly waves from them

tim_krueger

Reaction
before i took my lights off my roommate and i road almost every sunday. me on an xr650r and he on a cbr954 (i think). we always wave no matter what type of bike, even if its got red and blue lights and, we almost always get waves back. sunday is a day of leisure and enjoyment, there are a lot of bikes, and people are friendly. m-f people ride to get to work and probably pay less attention to other bikers. Even when I roar to class during the day I got a lot of nods and waves. I figure ill just keep on waving caus im always having a good time on my bike

hxckidd

Reaction
its funny i ride a r6 and i will throw out the wave to any other bike. One day i counted how many waves i got back from harly guys out of ten i only got 2 back. I dont see why they feel so superior. I would look out for anyone on a bike. If i see a harley guy broke down i would stop for sure.

desertracer

Reaction
Whoops, sorry I was way off, didn't really understand if you meant the metaphorical riding "wave" or the actual wave.Goiod topic though.

JeffS

Reaction
I always throw a wave to other riders on the street, for the same reasons mentioned above, and more importantly, Off-Road ... I alway throw a wave to anyone I pass going the other direction, no matter what they're driving / riding, and I always get one back. I think its for the same reason mentioned above... Hi, and hey we like the same hobby. ... and sometimes... thanks for movin' over a little.

I guess it's all about common courtesy.

dislocated1

Reaction
I really respect the waving thing off-road and especially when they throw up the fingers to see how many are behind them. Last weekend at the More race I was riding with a buddy behind me and I came up to a guy on a bike pretty fast and I threw up one finger for my buddy behind me and he just rode by and didn't do anything so I kinda figured he was alone so I got back on the pipe and there was two more bikes behind him, kinda sketchy!! I get waves all the time from fellow prerunners all the time and more so back in highschool when I drove a dropped 62' ragtop. I ti is cool to just be freindly and throw a wave to random people just to freak them out

jeff

Reaction
My $.02 - same thing happens with big rig drivers and Jeep owners. Some wave, some don't. You see lots of classic and antique car owners do the "wave" too. Some will give you the nod, others do the one or two finger raise from the steering wheel. I'm surprised when I drive around in Arrowhead because damn near everybody knows who they are passing (small town) and hardly any acknowledgment is given between drivers. If I wave and get nada in return the next wave is only one finger.

Hawaii - now there's a place where everyone waves. Your hand and arm gets tired just trying to keep up. That's aloha spirit and it's tough to find out here in Cali.

Aloha

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I was talking about the hello wave on the street. I fiqured that is what is was, I always wave and 9 out of 10 JJ wanna bees don't wave back oh well. I have even gotten waves on the FRWY going the other way, kinda sketchy. I just wonder who and how you start something like that, I mean one person had to think of it, just like slang or popular terms, one person had to think of it and then watch it spread like wild fire. I am trying to start the girl slang. In hemet we refer to girls as PIPES!, we got stainless pipes can make them bad, to galvanized pipe, good for awhile but sooner or later it will go bad, and etc.

The Number count wave in the desert is the greatest idea. I remember when I first saw it, it was like a light in my head, now I always do it, cause I would rather ride the bike than the ambulance.

Kbach66

Reaction
The funniest thing to me about the "wave" thing is that for me, I ride a LOT of different styles of streetbikes for work....from scooters to $75K customs. What pisses me off the most is the Harley guys. If I'm on a Harley, or any cruiser, 9/10 of the time they'll wave back. If I'm on a sportbike, you're lucky to be acknowledged by 1/100 of the Harley guys. I feel like telling them hey....why am I suddenly a sportbike a-hole when last weekend you proudly waved to me because I was on a harley......some people will never get it!!

My favorite is screwing with the sportbike wannabe "canyon carvers" when I take a Goldwing up in the canyons. It's damn fun hanging with guys on sportbikes when I've got the radio pumping and the pegs scraping!! They always give you a funny look when you pass them through the twisties!

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
LOL nice!

Every one that sees me on the DRZ gets a broken neck like it is some sort of miracale that there is a guy on a dirt bike crusing through town. Kids in cars are like garfield dolls stuck to window looking in awe, it has yet to get old.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
LOL, funny topic. I never really thought about it. I dont ride street bikes though but it is something I have noticed. I drive my 1970 VW around and anyone with another bug always waves. I got the same with my 1967 Mustang. Anyone with another muscle car or whatever waved. I never thought twice about it though, always waved back.

sweetdevil

Reaction
I was just thinking about this on my way to work this morning. Other people on Motorcycles wave, and I feel like I'm part of some secret elite club now... lol
The only ones who wave to me or wave back are the ones on crotch rockets. The Harleys and cops don't even bother... I don't really care, but I think the wave thing is kinda cool!

sweetdevil

Reaction
I've been riding it for two weeks now, and I've put over 1000 miles on it. I LOVE IT! It shaves off 1-2 hours driving time when going to Palm Desert and 10 minutes on the way to work (That's one more time I can hit the snooze button now! lol) It's not the greatest bike in the world (I've had to re-attach some plastics with black duct tape and zip ties) but for what it cost me, that thing rocks! We should all go riding sometime!