• Forum membership has its advantages....

There should be a light for chase vehicles

96YodaT1

I went out and bought some rear led lights for a chase vehicle and was thinking that at night this thing will look like a race vehicle and if i was out chasing our race truck and someone came up on it id be pretty pissed haha. i was thinking that there should be a light out there for pit or chase vehicles...any body else feel the same:confused:

ML Racer

I went out and bought some rear led lights for a chase vehicle and was thinking that at night this thing will look like a race vehicle and if i was out chasing our race truck and someone came up on it id be pretty pissed haha. i was thinking that there should be a light out there for pit or chase vehicles...any body else feel the same:confused:
I have an (Amber) LED light on my pre-runner when I'm pre-running. If you have one on your chase truck and it's at night and you're on the course:eek: first of all, you must be chasing in Baja, cuz ya can't chase on to many course this side of the border:rolleyes: but if was me and I was driving the chase truck...at night....and I see some HID's getting closer and closer behind me....I'd get the hell off the course, cuz they might think I'm a race car and might want to give me a punt:D

07FJRog

Green LEDs, they are the brightest at night (beside white) no confusion as to what it is. ( chase vehicles) my suggestion would be to run a pair of them as high as feasibly possible on the chase truck facing rearwards obviously. along with standard red taillights

y2kbaja

What are your thoughts about making the amber light flash? I was thinking about doing this on my truck because I use it as an official vehicle also (Vorra).

CHASETHISTOO

We need something that cant be confused with race traffic. I agree with Mr. Drake. Everyone knows you cant hit a blue dotter. That is until you find out it was a chase truck kick up all that dust. haha

96YodaT1

I like where 074FjRog is going. Green isn't used by anything I dont think but also a blinking amber wouldn't be a bad idea either. Today I saw a SDGE truck with brake lights that blinked on and off really fast and thought if i could get ahold of those that would be sweet

You can also get the rapidly flashing LED lights utilized by private road contractors.

WOOPRDR

easiest would be to run hazards for vehicles that have them. we have also ran alternating dual yellow lights, kinda like cal trans trucks have.

la2baja

Familia
In a perfect world (not this one). When you are on course to rescue a race vehicle you should move slow enough to not create dust and you should be pulled over and stopped well before a race vehicle is anywhere near you. HID's on a racer can be seen for miles. In the worst case scenario hundreds of yards before they get to you. That gives you enough time to get off course and be completely stopped. It isn't fair the the racers behind you to be slowed by your dust and if they get all the way up on you while still moving so that you need a light?? You should get punted. Again.. That is a perfect world scenario and I have to say from what I have seen it is unfortunatly a rarity.

If anything I would run a light any color than amber. That is a license to be nerfed.

mitch mathers

I volunteered to retrieve vehicles again at the Mint and after last year am going to try a portable rotating amber beacon...Every once in a while you have to jump on the course and when they are coming at 100 MPH, it doesn't take long before their on your rear bumper towing a race vehicle even if you don't see any dust for miles....Harbor freight sells rotating yellow beacons with a 12v cig. plug adapter for $12.99....Would rather be racing but it's the next best thing....Good luck to the guys and gals running the Mint.....

Mcarlson1

I like the rotating beacon light idea or the green LEDs but make them flashing so it gets your attention, we have orange hazards and beacons on our tractors and grape harvesters for running down the street and they get your attention and the rotating can be seen through pretty good dust as well. I say they have to be a different color then orange on a chase truck so that way the drivers know that its a slow moving non racing vehicle and they dont plow into them.

Thanks,
Mike

Sparky

Amber or blue flashing. Since the amber and blue on racers can't flash, that would be a good way to know the difference. Rigid can do amber or blue in their small Dually series and they can make them strobe.

RocketMan

will the police have an issue if your using a blue flashing light? i like just running flashers this shows your a street truck not a racer,along with a double dose of common sence.

Prerunin554

Amber or blue flashing. Since the amber and blue on racers can't flash, that would be a good way to know the difference. Rigid can do amber or blue in their small Dually series and they can make them strobe.
I would vote against the flashing. A short in some wiring could cause a flashing light which would be confusing. Using a different color is the best alternative

Wendell #527

I have a flashing amber light on my race car. I use it to signal to a faster car that I see them. I also turn it on in silt. Like the above post, sometimes faulty wiring makes them flash. Some appear to flash just because they're mounted to where when they hit whoops the spare or the exhaust or something covers the light up intermittantly. So I don't think flashing amber would do much more than a regular amber. It would be really hard to get everybody together to make a specific color---like green---the official chase color. It would be cool, though. I just don't see getting all chasers together from all these sanctioning bodies on anything. I say please put some kind of light on the back of your chase truck and you will be doing us racers a big favor. So many times I've come up on some dumarse on the course with regular running lights and I almost slam into them because I can't see them quick enough. Anything is better than nothing. Green would be cool, but don't expect everybody to know what it means. That's my 3 cents.

07FJRog

I have a flashing amber light on my race car. I use it to signal to a faster car that I see them. I also turn it on in silt. Like the above post, sometimes faulty wiring makes them flash. Some appear to flash just because they're mounted to where when they hit whoops the spare or the exhaust or something covers the light up intermittantly. So I don't think flashing amber would do much more than a regular amber. It would be really hard to get everybody together to make a specific color---like green---the official chase color. It would be cool, though. I just don't see getting all chasers together from all these sanctioning bodies on anything. I say please put some kind of light on the back of your chase truck and you will be doing us racers a big favor. So many times I've come up on some dumarse on the course with regular running lights and I almost slam into them because I can't see them quick enough. Anything is better than nothing. Green would be cool, but don't expect everybody to know what it means. That's my 3 cents.
who ever is connected to the racing ORGS could get together push this. if anyone is worried about sources for green, you can get clear trailer "backup light housings" and add the 1156 style bulb in Green for the light. these can also match the oval style LED red/amber that trucks use. when sourcing the LED bulb, make sure it is an all around bulb, meaning that it has center rear leds and Radial mounted leds for full lense output. this can also be done for a "lazer star" style light, with LED bulb.

green should be the choice IMO, no cops/BLM to worry about flashing blue, no confusion with race trucks/cars, red/amber requirements. we have time before some of these races or next season to get this going. I would like to help if I could, but I do not know anyone in the Dez race ORGS myself.

Rog

Shred918

You cant have a car on a road that has a blue light (BIG TICKET!!!) so that is out and I see flashing amber blue and yellow lights on race vehicles all the time.

I do agree with the bubble gum light on chase vehicles though but keep in mind a lot of them have large chase racks that might not allow you to see the light from all angles.