Thinking about racing

Juryrig1

Reaction
I saw a fun race in Barstow a few weeks ago, slash X, class 9 looked very cool! My brother and I spoke with a few people but we still can’t quite figure out all the differences in the classes and race orgs. Class 5 1600 interests us the most but seems to be disappearing, so who has an explanation of these lower level Vw classes that could race more than one series! We are in north San Diego?

Zac Reish

Reaction
Class 9 and 5/16 can race in any org.

Vw classes are slowly going away due to cost reliability, and utv’s becoming way more popular, available, and capable.

If you like vw I’d race 1600 class. Almost all the best drivers come from this class and there is good car counts in most organizations.

yamaducci

Reaction
There are several Race Organizations for the classes you might be interested in. To name a few there is SCORE,MORE, BITD and SNORE.
Some classes have definitely migrated to one organization or the other. Where they used to all have a at least a few competitors in each VW Class. You can pick up or download a Rule Book from each of these organizers and see that the basic classes are still listed but if you go to the races you will see certain classes dominate more or less by Organization.
Here are the VW classes:
Class 9 Buggy - Uses Mostly bone stock suspension off a VW air-cooled Bug while using the swing axle rear suspension.
Class 11 Stock Sedan - As the name implies its a stock Bug with the stock fenders in place and is only slightly raised to be more off road capable.
Class 5-1600cc Baja Bug- Looks like a Baja Bug, limited suspension and limited engine to the 1600cc size and uses IRS (independent rear suspension).
Class 1/2 - 1600 Buggy - This Buggy class is very competitive. Much better suspension options than the Class 9 yet still considered limited. Also uses a limited 1600cc engine along with an Independent rear suspension for more travel than a class 9.
Class 5U Unlimited Baja Bug - Much more suspension and engine options and can get quite expensive for a beginner.

These are the Classes that use VW power. Many people start racing in these classes. In general they are in order of least expensive to most expensive. Now back to what I was saying about classes migrating to certain organizations. SCORE is probably known for having the most 5-1600 Bugs, MORE has a lot of the 1 seat/2 seat 1600's as well as Class 9. I don't think BITD has any 1600cc class participants in the last year or so. You just have to look up their past races and see who has the most of whatever class interest you and go there. Good Luck

yamaducci

Reaction
Class 9 uses a 1600cc
Class 11 uses 1600
Class 5-1600 is a Baja Bug class that uses 1600
Class 1600 Buggy is a Buggy class that uses a 1600 (Class 1600 Buggy is call Class 2000 in BITD)

Juryrig1

Reaction
Awesome, thank you. We want to race but wrenching is a large part of what we want so utv’s won’t do, the Vw classes seem perfect!

Rick 1634

Reaction
Class 1600 or 12 are both fun Vw classes. The most mph per dollar imo IMG_0459.JPG

Reaction
And VW hasn't sold a bug in the states for over thirty years.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
VW Classes: Class 9 the most affordable in my view, real race car feel, fast enough in the rough and prep is easy. Plenty of 9's for sale too. Class 11 is not as cheap as many think, motor to keep up is $$ and a trans rebuild every race, and those damn fenders $$$ its a fun class ad the other racers are fun to hang with but still severely limited in the rough, 5-1600's are a little costly but fun and fast I , dont like the bug body as one roll over is a pain to repair. Class 12 is fast and $$ but could looks to be a dead class now with 5-1600 close too. Class 5 is not even a VW anymore. Class 1600 in a single or two seat is a bad ass drivers class. It does costs but the racing is insane and close. The SNORE web site has a free rule book to decipher the classes. Battle at Primm is coming up in April and will be a battle royal for VW class cars, Go check it out. Another idea is look at the MORE schedule and make an offer to pay entry fee for a passenger seat ride in a few races in VW classes. You will know pretty quick which one is best for you.

Bryan J

Reaction
I wouldn't say that VW classes are dying by any means. SNORE's Laughlin race in December saw 43 (I think) 1600 cars start. Biggest class of the weekend.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Class 9 is still rocking at MORE too. check out the 2018 point standings. It gives you an idea of how strong that class is. M.O.R.E. - Mojave Off Road Racing Enthusiasts - 2018 Points Class 9 is cheaper than 1600 and quite a bit faster than a class 11. It builds great racers for other faster classes——like Bud Ward. Learning to be fast in a 9 car is great training for racing anything. You learn to carry speed thru corners and hills and you learn how to make your car survive to the finish.

snoreracer

Reaction
I saw a fun race in Barstow a few weeks ago, slash X, class 9 looked very cool! My brother and I spoke with a few people but we still can’t quite figure out all the differences in the classes and race orgs. Class 5 1600 interests us the most but seems to be disappearing, so who has an explanation of these lower level Vw classes that could race more than one series! We are in north San Diego?
Try a 1600 like this classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR_SALE:Entry-Level-Race-Car-150332 and race sportsman for a season to get up to speed and work out all the kinks. You will have a good time , the new low compression engine will help reduce costs

rkracing

Reaction
Another good option to get your feet wet would be a sportsman truck class like 1450 or 2000. More suspension travel than a buggy so smoother ride and depending on the parts used can be inexpensive to build and prep