• Forum membership has its advantages....

This IS how to get sponsored

450grl

When looking for a sponsor keep in mind entry fees are going to be three times what it was last year
I would say "you're kidding" but I have heard that you are pretty right on the money......I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for CORR this year.....

D4D

The guys at Blue C are great at the PR and brand building game. They are also connected to the industry in a lot of ways.

inmymind

who was the person in an earlier thread that does Carl Redazeders (sp?) pr and sponcership? It would be good to start a llist of peaple in the industry.

johnnyweb

This post has enlightened me to what kind of company Bully Dog is. For you to come on here and dump on desert racers and say we bother you in some way is not very professional either. If you have a problem with your position at Bully Dog...my suggestion is a transfer to another department. Lighten up dude, its your job to look at those resume's.

hoeker

This post has enlightened me to what kind of company Bully Dog is. For you to come on here and dump on desert racers and say we bother you in some way is not very professional either. If you have a problem with your position at Bully Dog...my suggestion is a transfer to another department. Lighten up dude, its your job to look at those resume's.
wow, you need to re-read mike's post. he said a lot of good things in there that take some people years to learn as they try to market their new racing program. racing is the easy part compared to professionaly promoting and marketing a team.

johnnyweb

Yes he started of very good, positive and informative. It was the ending that ruined it for me.

baja619

Not trying to dump on you but I think it was your comprehension of his post that ruined it for you.

Its his job to find the best prospects that will represent the company within the designated budget.

If the prospects that sent in there best proposal package was a half ass attempt by industry standards....Well, most likely the trashcan was the best place for it. They may be a good racer but if they cannot produce an outstanding sponsorship proposal then most likely they cannot produce the ROI that counts much more to the sponsor then a few podium finishes here and there.

Like it has been stated already. Racing is only part of it, representing the sponsor, standing out from the rest of the field, and producing results on and off the course is what counts and what the sponsors want to see.

johnnyweb

Not trying to dump on you but I think it was your comprehension of his post that ruined it for you.

Its his job to find the best prospects that will represent the company within the designated budget.

If the prospects that sent in there best proposal package was a half ass attempt by industry standards....Well, most likely the trashcan was the best place for it. They may be a good racer but if they cannot produce an outstanding sponsorship proposal then most likely they cannot produce the ROI that counts much more to the sponsor then a few podium finishes here and there.

Like it has been stated already. Racing is only part of it, representing the sponsor, standing out from the rest of the field, and producing results on and off the course is what counts and what the sponsors want to see.
In recent weeks we have announced a lot of big deals and now I get the dumbest calls, emails, faxes (Yes, some jacka$$ faxed me his 1 page proposal ) sorry if any of you are members here that have sent this crap and I have pissed you off.

It's not that hard to comprehend that if you don't have a hired PR firm do your resume don't both sending anything into them. They will laugh at it and through it in the garbage.

Apexkiller, great post. I appreciate the 'tell it like it is' approach. Also, being a business owner I see well thought out and not so well thought out bids, resumes, etc. Theres a wide range and it makes a big difference in how far it gets. Thanks 025

D4D

Actually I have never signed a deal presented to me by a PR/marketing firm. What is important is providing an ROI for the sponsor, if you can not put a proposal together how are you going to provide the ROI. It has been pointed out above that racing and being seen on the track is only part of a deal. If you are going to ask a sponsor for cash, be it $500 or $50,000 you better be ready to run your racing operation as a business. If you don't then you are not going to have that or any other sponsor for long.
Now there are some companies out there that just throw cash at motorsports for the simple fact that the company LOVES racing, so throwing huge dollars at it is not really about marketing it is more about company or ownership entertainment so they do not need to see an ROI. Those sorts of deals do not require a great proposal and those sorts of efforts. But those sponsorships are very, and I do mean VERY rare and usually only come about because you have become close and personal friends with that company so they throw you the money.

So I am a bad guy for trying to help my fellow racers out by telling it the way it is. Yep, I have that name for myself in the industry, some people hate me for not pulling any punches and telling it the way it is. But I have a lot more guys that love to work with us because of it. In the end that was the reason for this thread to help out fellow racers which I have done and outside of this thread as I have reviewed a couple of members proposals and so on.

E&S Racing

F.A.I.T.H.
I want to thank you for starting this thread and adding to it. I appreciate your "No nonsense type of approach". It is nice to hear every once in a while

DW_810_Stock

My experience is that sponsorship is rarely a "by the numbers" deal....just like any business transaction, it is a calculated risk taken by one individual whose goal is to increase brand awareness and brand image...

There are a ton of intangibles involved in something like that. They need to have a feeling of what type of personality you have....how you do business. Do you do what you say you will do?

In the end...a sponsor has to actually TRUST you, and even above that, they probably need to LIKE you before they will ever consider doing more than probably about $5,000. This makes sense.....if you are hiring a new employee you do the same thing. Your first impression with a potential sponsor can be you last if you don't have a professional, well-presented race program. That first impression might be a proposal call or a hand shake at a trade show, or it might be something you say to the guy in front of you in line at the concession stand at the race track... My point... you are always under the microscope. Being sponsored is kind of like being a politician I suppose. If you are known to be lude, rude, late, drunk, a liar, etc...good luck finding a sponsor. Basically, if they let you put their decals all over their vehicle, regardless of how many disconnected disclosures you sign, you become the image of their company. The reason cold calls and cold proposals don't work is because they can't tell who you are from that transaction...they need some of those intangibles that you can't put on a piece of paper.

A firm handshake and a clean haircut probably go farther than anything you can put on a facsimile or pay a PR firm to "say" about you. That PR firm is basically a facade to try and get you past that first impression hurdle...after that, you still need to deliver or you won't have a sponsor.

DRIVE Jon

Good information....thank you! Blunt, but I prefer that to being PC. Sponsorship is a business deal handled by business-people...and it is Quid-pro-quo. So it is competitive and the team that sticks out, will win... like in most business deals. If you don't want to put in the effort....then you need to be self-sponsored.

I need to step up my game finding sponsors for V4DR events. I have been thinking that I can just get away with an e-mail...but in reality it takes more than that....even with being a volunteer group on my side...you have to make it past the "round-file" somehow. Maybe I can get to know the Blue-C people!..I'm sure they are dying to do some pro-bono work:D

Thanks again,

Jon

jamminjeff10

Guy's let's not get off track here, no - one is trying to put down desert racing. I think what you are seeing is that in order to get firm dollars from big comapanies, there needs to be more than a phone call, and an e-mail. Dezert racing is not as marketable as short course, if your pissed because of that, there is a "Desert Racing" forum for that. APEXKILLER is on the "Short Course" forum, giving good advice.

I dont care what you are asking for, tell me who you are, what you have done, where you have been, and what you can do. That set's the dollar amount.

If you come in and say I will put you on my truck, awning, transporter, web-site, have girls handing out your gooodies, do photo shoots, commercials, trade shows, PR, travel the country, sell your wares, tatoo your logo on my forehead, for $1,000.00 per race; you go to the recycle bin. Bidding yourself up-front and bidding too low can have dire consequences.

Sponsorships are based on who you are, who you know, your past accomplishments, your image and presentation, along with what the company see's as a realistic ROI based on these factors. Marketing managers have to show the results of performance to thier bosses, or they get fired. No one person at a big corporation is going to make the decission to sponsor you, it is part of thier strategy, and many people are involved, usually at least allocating budgets and working with the marketing depts., to best utilize the money.

I get proposals all year, some good, some bad. Don't be discouraged if you dont get a call back, it's all part of the game. Work hard, stay focused, do good at the races, and never give up, even if you dont get a response or get turned down. Your hard work will pay off. Don't sell yourself short!

I race, I sponsor teams, and I help market people and products. PM if you are looking.

BlueCrace

I think you have this all wrong. Apexkiller is helping and providing a way to achieve what racers need to do rather than "hit or miss" tactics. He has put on this thread what has taken lifetimes to understand since this is not something that is taught. A lot of thought, vision and understanding has gone into this thread. I personally think he should have charged $499.00 for the webinar but consider this a gift to your future success. Yes it is job to look at the resumes but which is the better team to sponsor, one with a resume or one that is responsible and has the whole package? Who has shown the dedication that they will do and continue to do what they say they will do?

Next time you see Apexkiller at a event, buy him a beer and a simple thanks for putting things in perspective.

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
There is no such thing as "free money". You have to earn it. Nobody except maybe Mom and Dad are going to pay you to race. You are working for the sponsor. If they are willing to put dollars into you and your program they expect a return. Exposure is only one aspect of sponsorship. If all it took was running a sticker the pr guys would just go around putting stickers on everything. The best relationships are when the racer and sponsor compliment each other. Even broke photo guys like me have limited programs. I have a few teams running my sticker. Not exactly a mass marketing program but I get some exposure and they get photos at my cost. Even on my level I only do this with teams that look good and perform on the track. You might have been offended by Mike's post but some day you will look back and appreciate it.