BajaFand

RDC Crypto
In 1996, the 245-horsepower 460 "Lima" engine was OBD-II and had closed-loop EFI with full emissions systems (EGR, secondary air injection, single exhaust with catalytic converters, etc.). The article says the 600 horsepower 521 engine in the truck has a Holley 850 carburetor, which is obviously not closed-loop or OBD-II compliant. If it was legal, it wouldn't be registered under a Montana LLC.
What the law actually states is that any replacement for the original gasoline engine must meet the same or better emissions requirements for that year, make, model, and engine of the vehicle. So as long as it meets those it does not matter what size that engine is or even what brand it is. This is straight from my dad a retired CHP officer who used to do VIN inspections on custom vehicles. If this truck started life as a diesel it doesn’t even matter there would be no smog requirement to begin with, hence why I’ve always wanted to find a military diesel K5 Blazer to build.

As for the Montana plates that might be more practicality than a legal issue. It’s a 3/4 ton commercial vehicle it’s probably still not cheap to register or insure in CA and you have to do it every year. Other states offer much cheaper registration and longer times in between registration. My parents now live in Havasu full time where there’s no smog to worry about and you can register up to 5 years and they still register everything in Montana for cost.

Dezertpilot

RDC Crypto
The trucks builder did this on his stock full that they campaigned in the late 90's early 2000's. Run 8 studs, 4 were guide pins, 4 were threaded for lugs. So the load was still carried by 8 studs, but sped up tire changes just a bit. This was before electric impacts became common on vehicles. It worked great, and allowed him a couple of championships and the Baja 2000 with a 16th Overall finish at that race ( in Stock Full ). Everthing Jeremy at Spirit does is intentional and well thought out.

Here is the set up on that Stock Full - https://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/ford/292006/358829/002s.jpg
Nice! Yeah that is pretty genius. Always thought Spirit made really nice stuff.

16th OA at the Baja 2000? Whoa.

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
Nice! Yeah that is pretty genius. Always thought Spirit made really nice stuff.

16th OA at the Baja 2000? Whoa.
Jeremy did the suspension on my 93 Flareside F-150 earlier this year. He was very conscientious with what he did. I needed to stick somewhat close to a budget to keep the wife from asking too many questions. Jeremy made it work, without compromising his quality of work. Lots of little things are being completed closer to home and should be out on the road within a month.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
What is the end expectation of asking this question? Bringing the focus where it doesn’t need to be IMHO. Beautiful truck, don’t care about why they did what they did with it.
Ya, most of us DGAF about Jokeifornia

Gotta a similar f100 build going right now but, Rousch SC Coyote powered.

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
I’m going to second the “more pics” sentiment. As a fabricator, I love seeing others work and ideas. The backstory is great, but there used to be way more pics (unless it was a new race car build, presumably at the request of the builder)

Those old vehicle features almost had no stories behind them, just photos. So for me, storytelling is one of the crucial components of my features. But perhaps I can take more detailed photos. I appreciate the feedback!

toddz

RDC Crypto
I guess SteveG is not going to post the 1997 Supermotors article so here it is

1984 Ford Bronco Spirit/Spirkoff picture | SuperMotors.net
When I first saw the title of this thread, I figured that's what truck was going to be featured! I have Rick's article and also the article on that truck from Off Road in my files.

Didn't know anyone else ever used SuperMotors other than the infamous Steve83.

Todd Z.

S00TLYFE

RDC Crypto
What is the end expectation of asking this question? Bringing the focus where it doesn’t need to be IMHO. Beautiful truck, don’t care about why they did what they did with it.
i dont know why people bring that stuff up