Thoughts on and questions about V2R from the Subaru guy

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
You guys kicked Ass! So happy to see you guys make it!

—john

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
Thanks again to everyone at BITD who helps make the Vegas to Reno happen, I know it's a huge amount of work. Truly an adventure and an epic challenge.
My long time off road racing partner in crime and I drove my 99 Subaru Outback to Vegas last week. We entered and completed the Vegas to Reno in 17 hours 40 minutes. It was great to see most people cheering us on before, during, and after the race. Coming around a corner in the dark to a broken down buggy and our lights lighting up the three hairy butts of the guys who mooned us was hilarious. We were guessing a lot of the course workers near the end of the race may have been cheering since they finally got to go home more than cheering us on. Only 165 of the 294 trucks and buggies that entered finished. One flat tire and a shifter cable issue were the only mechanical issues we had. The course was consistently rougher than when we tried it in 2016 and 2017. There were very few sections, I'd say 10-20%, where we could go 40+mph without worrying about breaking the car. We have averaged 35-40 in past desert races and could have done that for a while on this course but probably not for 500 miles. Our average with stops was 27mph. We switched driving and refueled about every third pit or 100 miles (which at our pace was 3-4 hours). Baja pits fueled us and had tires at those pits for us, we definitely couldn't have done it without them. We also definitely would not have had a chance with stock struts. I know the car looks fairly stock but anyone considering doing something like this should know it has a completely non stock suspension and drivetrain and extensively reinforced body with years of testing to get it this durable. Thanks again to slammo for coming out and helping us.
EE4A2711c.jpg

We did replace a CV axle and hose clamped the loose end of the steering rack back in place for the ride home.
IMG_4097s.jpg

IMG_4096s.jpg

Before we headed east we were filling up with gas in Tonopah on Monday morning. A couple of Honda trailers were parked there and the guys came over to talk to us for a little while. They were congratulating us and checking out the car and sharing stories. They were going to do some durability testing on the bikes two days after the V2R which impressed us. When we all left they shook our hands and said nice to meet you, "I'm Johnny" and "I'm Ricky". It wasn't until a bit later that I realized that was Johnny Campbell and Ricky Brabec congratulating _us_. Crazy. Super nice guys.

Then we did a little sightseeing and trail riding and drove it back home.
IMG_4202s.jpg

IMG_4204s.jpg

If anyone has any pictures or videos of our car I'd love to see them.
Also planning on getting some shirts made. Does anyone know if:
we're the only Subaru to ever finish the V2R?
we're the only station wagon to ever finish the V2R?
we're the only car to ever finish the V2R? I would guess a beetle has at some point.

Last edited:

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
This is awesome.

What mods have you made, specifically, to the suspension and drivetrain?
Suspension is all custom fabbed 4130 plate front control arms, tubular rear links. Inverted struts front and rear using a lot of Fox components but also a lot of custom machined/fabbed parts. 10" travel front, 12" travel rear.
Drivetrain is a stock 2002 EZ30D six cylinder, STI trans/driveshaft/R180 rear diff.
For a much more detailed answer:

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
whats the acctual milage on the car again?, good job, they are a fun smooth off road ralley ride, even better in the rain on the street, plus i can sleep in the back of mine👍

ndvalium

Rescue Director
RDC Crypto
Thanks again to everyone at BITD who helps make the Vegas to Reno happen, I know it's a huge amount of work. Truly an adventure and an epic challenge.
My long time off road racing partner in crime and I drove my 99 Subaru Outback to Vegas last week. We entered and completed the Vegas to Reno in 17 hours 40 minutes. It was great to see most people cheering us on before, during, and after the race. Coming around a corner in the dark to a broken down buggy and our lights lighting up the three hairy butts of the guys who mooned us was hilarious. We were guessing a lot of the course workers near the end of the race may have been cheering since they finally got to go home more than cheering us on. Only 165 of the 294 trucks and buggies that entered finished. One flat tire and a shifter cable issue were the only mechanical issues we had. The course was consistently rougher than when we tried it in 2016 and 2017. There were very few sections, I'd say 10-20%, where we could go 40+mph without worrying about breaking the car. We have averaged 35-40 in past desert races and could have done that for a while on this course but probably not for 500 miles. Our average with stops was 27mph. We switched driving and refueled about every third pit or 100 miles (which at our pace was 3-4 hours). Baja pits fueled us and had tires at those pits for us, we definitely couldn't have done it without them. We also definitely would not have had a chance with stock struts. I know the car looks fairly stock but anyone considering doing something like this should know it has a completely non stock suspension and drivetrain and extensively reinforced body with years of testing to get it this durable. Thanks again to slammo for coming out and helping us.
EE4A2711c.jpg

We did replace a CV axle and hose clamped the loose end of the steering rack back in place for the ride home.
IMG_4097s.jpg

IMG_4096s.jpg

Before we headed east we were filling up with gas in Tonopah on Monday morning. A couple of Honda trailers were parked there and the guys came over to talk to us for a little while. They were congratulating us and checking out the car and sharing stories. They were going to do some durability testing on the bikes two days after the V2R which impressed us. When we all left they shook our hands and said nice to meet you, "I'm Johnny" and "I'm Ricky". It wasn't until a bit later that I realized that was Johnny Campbell and Ricky Brabec congratulating _us_. Crazy. Super nice guys.

Then we did a little sightseeing and trail riding and drove it back home.
IMG_4202s.jpg

IMG_4204s.jpg

If anyone has any pictures or videos of our car I'd love to see them.
Also planning on getting some shirts made. Does anyone know if:
we're the only Subaru to ever finish the V2R?
we're the only station wagon to ever finish the V2R?
we're the only car to ever finish the V2R? I would guess a beetle has at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.MOV
    40.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1612.MOV
    40.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 9C8399D9-43B1-4C3E-AF52-7BD4C638B8D6.jpeg
    9C8399D9-43B1-4C3E-AF52-7BD4C638B8D6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 81785BF6-5653-4ECF-B2BF-7E0F4E1EEB97.jpeg
    81785BF6-5653-4ECF-B2BF-7E0F4E1EEB97.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3544552E-69F2-4EC3-9F34-B3886771450D.jpeg
    3544552E-69F2-4EC3-9F34-B3886771450D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

IRONGOOK

RDC Crypto
Congrats guys! I remember your 2017 run. You came in the pits with your Frame cracking, got it welded and tried to continue. Perseverance pays off!

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
now, it never happend with out pics, can we get a bling rDc car picture layout/ feature?, i want to see what the heck is going on under the hood
I could certainly supply some pix and info if you can put me in touch with someone who posts those.
295k miles now that we're home, about 293 while we were doing the race. Odometer wasn't working for a while and reads low so it's almost certainly over 300k actual miles.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
What size tire do you guys run? I know with the 33s on the trophylite we scrape a lot in the ruts, can’t imagine smaller. Do you guys straddle the ruts?

—john

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
What size tire do you guys run? I know with the 33s on the trophylite we scrape a lot in the ruts, can’t imagine smaller. Do you guys straddle the ruts?

—john
215/75/15 so about 28" diameter. Try to straddle the ruts when we can but in the narrow washes we usually wind up driving in them. The skidplate plows gravel and rocks for miles. Also since our car is 2' narrower than the trucks and buggies making the ruts it's often hunting side to side.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
im running 215 70 15 on vw steel wheels, they have almost an extra inch offset over the stocker, wow,that is some driving with that size tire in a desert race, baja silt beds could be interesting

Bricoop

RDC Crypto
I could certainly supply some pix and info if you can put me in touch with someone who posts those.
295k miles now that we're home, about 293 while we were doing the race. Odometer wasn't working for a while and reads low so it's almost certainly over 300k actual miles.
@Curtis Guise