Thoughts on and questions about V2R from the Subaru guy

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
im running 215 70 15 on vw steel wheels, they have almost an extra inch offset over the stocker, wow,that is some driving with that size tire in a desert race, baja silt beds could be interesting
We've never been to baja but we've never been close to getting stuck in the silt beds in Nevada. One of the few things the car does well I guess.

Tube ride

RDC Crypto
DE9FA718-0592-47FF-AEF8-437B4FE40A77.pngNeeds more cowbell! Good job!

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
sti trans axle mods??, awd system must work great, what is your trans prep& cost?
The trans is modified but a stock STI trans would have done the job. We have broken a gear in the five speed in a past desert race but the STI 6MT would probably last many years of desert racing without touching it.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
The trans is modified but a stock STI trans would have done the job. We have broken a gear in the five speed in a past desert race but the STI 6MT would probably last many years of desert racing without touching it.
This is great information but has nothing to do with my getting a t-shirt.

Please try and keep this thread on topic. (T-shirt. Me getting one)
;)

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
This is great information but has nothing to do with my getting a t-shirt.

Please try and keep this thread on topic. (T-shirt. Me getting one)
;)
Hahahhaah. I would like to know if we're the first/only Subaru/station wagon/car/etc to finish the Vegas to Reno to brag that up on the shirts.
I assume a Beetle has done it in the past although I would have been impressed if they'd done it on this year's course.
Also if anyone knows a program or person that can turn a photo into a line drawing/cartoon please PM me.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Hahahhaah. I would like to know if we're the first/only Subaru/station wagon/car/etc to finish the Vegas to Reno to brag that up on the shirts.
I assume a Beetle has done it in the past although I would have been impressed if they'd done it on this year's course.
Also if anyone knows a program or person that can turn a photo into a line drawing/cartoon please PM me.
1. You can just say you're "the first/only Subaru/station wagon/car/etc to finish the Vegas to Reno" and the just add a disclaimer *according to dan200.

2. I'll message ya Rory Wards #. He does legit work.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
always ask for free T's& hats , it pays off, got a bunch from these guys, great company👍( on topic😉)

Attachments

• 1629482480301321933801.jpg
    1629482480301321933801.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 0

desertspeed

RDC Crypto
Congrats on the finish! I have followed you guys here on RDC since your first attempt and so stoked to see you cross the finish line this year! You had the biggest applause of anyone at the awards ceremony, I think everyone there realized how awesome your adventure was. Hope to see you at the finish line of the Baja 1000 in La Paz one day. Pretty sure thats the next challenge 😁

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
hey, i would Love to see the cost to race the subaru and win break down, start to finish, prep, tires, fuel ect.bet its in My pay grade😍

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
You guys need to make sure subie knows about this guys! Big time.

Next race for you guys to tackle. Baja 1000.

—john

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
hey, i would Love to see the cost to race the subaru and win break down, start to finish, prep, tires, fuel ect.bet its in My pay grade😍
To put a rough number on it I think you'd spend at least $20k to build the car. At a minimum:
Long travel/heavy duty suspension
Off road tires
Heavy duty skidplates
Thick core radiator
Tablet for GPS
Safety - cage, fuel cell, rollover valve, seats, harnesses, window nets, rear lights, triangles, first aid kit - also one piece fire suits, helmets, neck restraints, hoods, gloves, shoes if you don't have all those

I spent over $5k on entry fee, transponder, Baja pits, shipping tires out and back, hotel rooms, gas, etc.

The race radio and electric jacks and TPMS wouldn't be required but probably made the difference between us finishing in under 18 hours rather than >18 hours.
Six cylinder engine and STI drivetrain also might not be required to make it in time if you had a lighter car like an early Impreza.
Anyone considering this who hasn't raced the Vegas to Reno starting in the back should drive the last 40 miles of the course after the race is over sometime.
I think you could drive the whole course in a Subaru with good skidplates and a 2" lift and off road tires starting last but there is no way you'd do it in the time limit, maybe not even double the time limit, without bending struts and control arms and/or tearing the body apart.

As for the 1000, you guys are even crazier than we are! V2R was expensive and long and rough enough in that car.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
jeepspeed it is if i ever banged my head and had a crazy idea to race again, the xj only needs a few things to get it up to minimum speed to make the time limmits, are your tire sizes limmited?, can you go taller?clearence/ gearing?one last q, whats The hot junk yard transplant to go into my 95 legacy, stick of course, one thats relatively "easy", and the best for off road, 4/6 cyl

pontoontodd

RDC Crypto
jeepspeed it is if i ever banged my head and had a crazy idea to race again, the xj only needs a few things to get it up to minimum speed to make the time limmits, are your tire sizes limmited?, can you go taller?clearence/ gearing?
Since we raced in sportsman there are basically no rules. Originally built for 7100/7200 in which we could certainly run bigger tires.
Larger tires would probably only be practical with less wheel travel. In general you'd want lower gearing too although we do have a low range in this car that we never used. Can't just lift it more without going through a lot more CV axles. A subframe/crossmember lift doesn't really improve ground clearance but I guess might allow you bigger tires with the same travel. Yes you could go wider, more travel, bigger tires, at a minimum that would take serious cutting especially in the rear, and not just cosmetic, you'd be getting into the rear door openings. So it's at the practical limit already as I see it. Really the main advantage of the platform in my eyes is the CV axles are long so you can get decent travel in a narrow car and we drive a lot of woods trails.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
so acctually, evan narrower, and not lifted( bad cv angles) is a better set up, your car is all stock suspension geometry ?, mine has 3 of the four og cv joints @ 340k miles, amazing