Thoughts on attempting to race a Kawasaki 300R

gator1873

Reaction
Looking for input on the Kawasaki 300R, I am sure the bikes slower than a 450x but for 5 grand it seems like a cheap way to go racing? Its sits up high like a xr650..

I look forward to your input.

gator1873

Reaction
I have been riding bikes for over 40 years, that being said, I haven't been on an off-road bike in 20 years. I am looking for something mild to ride in some off-road desert races... I am 6'0 255 lbs. as well, so I didn't want anything to small.. Would like to race in some SCORE and BITD Events.

redrdr67

Reaction
Go for it. Sounds like a great bike for your exact situation to get back into it. But if you're going racing, you gotta start training. But you knew that part.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Moto riding, running, cycling, push ups, pull ups, mtn biking, skiing, etc. Train harder and faster for short motos, longer and slower for desert racing.

my $0.01

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
KLX300? I drug My old one up and down Baja more times than I can count. Most reliable bike I have ever owned.

The suspension on the other hand....... Needs different linkage for the shock. Shock needs spring and valving. Forks need a complete go through with new springs and valving. Then it's a fun bike.

rustyb

Reaction
Looking at the specs, it’s pretty heavy, but as long as you’re strong enough to pick it up you’ll be ok. I race (I use the term very loosely) desert in the 4 corners region on a 450x and it takes a lot out of me to pick it up when I’m tired. I would make sure you can get a big tank for it before you buy it. Sure is appealing to get a brand new bike for that much money.

If you want to get into Baja, and have a week to spare in April, consider the NORRA Mexican 1000. Less intense than SCORE, but a lot more smiles per mile. Non-technical course, you get to sleep at night, food and beer at the finish line most days, easy to chase, just a blast. This year will be my fifth. There‘s a guy that’s done it a couple of times on a KLX300.

That being said, if you want to race SCORE, I’m putting together an old slow guys sportsman team (no aspersions towards you, just me) for next year’s 1000 and am looking for riders. I’ve done 5 on quads, this will be my first m/c one. Just a thought....