• Forum membership has its advantages....

Thoughts on the 51st SCORE International Baja 500

Thoughts on the Baja 500 this year? (Media coverage, contingency location, course marking, time limits, results) Not looking to start any drama, just looking to get a conversation going on the 500 with people's honest thoughts. (Good & Bad)

I'll start! The bottleneck traffic was horrible.

J Prich

Estero Beach absolutely sucked for fan participation. The start right into a silt bed with no legal alternative route around it was a terrible idea. The rest of the course was really, really fun.
Did you get rerouted around the silt on the way out? And how was it coming back in to the finish?

y2kbaja

Starting with Class 1 (exception being 100, the first cl1 off the line) were rerouted outbound and all cars inbound were rerouted. Not sure about the bikes.

burninfuel

Estero Beach absolutely sucked for fan participation. The start right into a silt bed with no legal alternative route around it was a terrible idea. The rest of the course was really, really fun.
Who was the trophy that side stepped the silt section because 5 or more were plugged into silt, and drove thru the willows 1 lane to the right.
One of the phone videos posted

Crusty Shellback

Was in town Thursday night. It was totally dead. Guess due to everything being done down at estero beach. Seems about every 5 feet, there was a vulture trying to get us into his club. Even Paris was like that.
Very few racers and even locals wandering around town.
We didnt even try to get I to Estero on Friday, just packed up and headed south to our pit.

redline

The good side of things was tech line was fast on friday! Bad was nobody was there.
We preran the start on thursday and 2 of our 3 prerunners got stuck at RM 2. The SCORE track crew truck happened to be there, but all they did was pull out their phones to video and take pics then left. After we got the 2 trucks out I watched 3 more trucks come into the turn and get stuck. Figured and heard they were going to change the start because it was going to be an obvious cluster F if it was already that much of a problem 2 days before the race. No prerunning was allowed in that section on friday so we ASSumed that they were in the process of fixing/rerouting it for raceday. Then 30 seconds after our truck left the infield i got radioed that it was a shitshow and everyone was looking for their own lines around. (way to go SCORE). The rest of the course was an absolute blast though! Tons of technical, fun, and new sections. I really liked finishing into Estero but I prefer the rest of everything (tech, driver meeting, start, ect) being on the main drag like normal.

nickybobby333

Outside of re-creating the Cluster F of RM 2, what if races from now on started at Estero and finished in Ensenada at the usual finish line. Still have tech/contingency in Ensenada, start the race in Estero, and finish in Ensenada? Just a thought

mexgamer

The city was completely dead, contingency sucked. The start was good I think, 2 by 2 made it interesting, but RM2 was a **** show.
The local government claims that the race had to be started at Estero Beach because of the elections, but that is complete BS; there have been elections in the past and the race still started downtown. Plus, elections were Sunday, so contingency could have been downtown no problem!
But, you and I know the real reason... you know who the mayor is, right? Novelo. You know who owns Estero Beach, right? Novelo family. Everyone in Ensenada knows why Novelo really wanted the race to be at his own property... $$$$$$$
Too bad Roger Norman wants to be part of that corruption.
Novelo is the reason why the streets of Ensenada are as bad as the race course, with the huge potholes. It has never been this bad. The PRI party (Novelo's party) has been stealing from Ensenada (and Mexico) for many years now.
So that's the reason contingency sucked, corruption and politics. Roger must be happy with the $$$ though

jon coleman

kinda bumed on the lack of sXs bashing, bottlneck jumpers, beating class 10's ect.but i do like the strength of off road motorsport in general, on the up- swing.its a good thing

Ben77

This video shows the cluster of RM2. I cant find the post but one of the Ampudia brothers was respoding to a fan complaint about race start at Stereo. He was like "well running through the Ensenada River always got us dirty and didn't show our sponsors"...Well here they got covered in silt

First time I didnt go to tech in a looong time.

y2kbaja

If teams knew rm2 was going to be so bad how come NONE of them had chase trucks nearby to assist? Read PaulN (Frenchies) race report with Solorzano. They had a 4runner follow them nearly the entire course.

SuperRanger

The first 30 miles threw the race. It was nice to be able to race though and not have it be a maze of speed zones. Maybe this route could suffice with some work, I don’t know. The silt and logjams sucked though.

2x2 starts would have been much better if they did them every minute, not every 30 seconds. They threw twice the amount of cars on the course per minute and that amplified the other shortcomings of the first 30 miles. Two every minute would give action at the start but would also be more fair to the drivers.

Contingency and start / finish at Estero took all the sexiness out of the 500. I feel like we missed part of the experience. Baja racing has grandeur and the 500 felt more like a BITD event (other than the course itself).

Loved the course, loved being in Baja, loved sharing it with my family. I wish we could have spent more time there. We’ll be back.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Charging race teams both days to enter Estero beach (contingency and race day). Just a money maker there!

mexgamer

This video shows the cluster of RM2. I cant find the post but one of the Ampudia brothers was respoding to a fan complaint about race start at Stereo. He was like "well running through the Ensenada River always got us dirty and didn't show our sponsors"...Well here they got covered in silt

First time I didnt go to tech in a looong time.
That's the lamest excuse ever... But the Ampudias are long time buddies of the Novelos, so.. of course they support them. I'm just not happy with the level of corruption in Ensenada, and SCORE getting involved in that crap. The mayor of the city shouldn't use his position to benefit his own family, but such is life in Mexico. Like I said, the city is in ruins and Novelo's pockets are BIG with cash.
I saw a video where spectators refused to help Gerardo Novelo in his class 7SX when he got stuck; locals really hate them now.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
That never happens at a CODE race. ;)