Thoughts on toy 8 in.

Crashbig

Getting ready to link my truck and was thinking of using a 4wd toy 8 in. I know rear end of choice is a 9 in. but would like to hear if theres any real downside to using it. Its going in a 87 Nissan hardbody.

Pros:
1.5 wider than stock nissan (going off top of head)
already six lug, so no mods there
gears, lockers ect.... much cheaper then nissan gears which can only be had thru nissan.

Cons:
Thats what I want to know????

The higher you jump the harder you crash so crashbig

michael_loomis

i had to buy Nismo gears once .... OUCH !! i can see why you'd want to switch .

i cant really think of any cons .... why not a 9" .... do you already have an inside line on a toy 8 " ?

fishd00d

What A Joke
I am doing this same setup.

I bought a T100 rear end for my truck and I am using it for my link I am working on.

Heres why you buy a 8"

Toyota 8" Complete = $300-$500

Ford 9" = $2000-$5000

lol

Go Big Or Go Home

michael_loomis

hmmm cool .... i'd rather use toy parts over FORD any day lol

Crashbig

Yeah already got the 8 in. sittin in the garage was just wonderin before I start workin on it and fish is right on about the price got mine for 100 bucks compared to the cost of the nine.

The higher you jump the harder you crash so crashbig

geoff

measure your frame rails first. If the nissan frame rails are as wide as a toy frame rail you will probably have to backhalf, and it will probably make much more sense to use a t100

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

curt

The toyota 8" is arguably the strongest inexpensive rear end you can buy...A setup 8" is more like 8-900 with a Detroit. The only limitation we've run into is the need to run bigger than 488 gears on the shortcourse and anything bigger won't get enough teeth engagement to last at all. The other great aspect of the 8" is the weight, it must be almost half the 9" but within reason doesn't give up much on strength, hell we've gone years on the same ring and pinion doing desert, shortcourse and arena truck racing.....Curt

VORRA Class 7

PatrickG

Would it be possible to use the t100 rear end and make it 5 lug to fit a 2wd toyota.

Patrick

Jkrell

couple things on the 8" toyota rear. If you are going to really use the truck off road you will eventually tear the axle tubes at the ends if you do not plate them in some how. I broke one in the past and I know vance broke one a while back. My current 8" works great though...just a couple 1/2 tube plates on the sides and a small truss and I have a ton of off-road and prerun miles plus about 300 or so race miles with no problems. O yeah...one other thing....get the solid crush sleeve for third member ....the other one will loosen up over time and wear out the splines on the pinion yoke.
Also, Geoff, on the toyota 4 link thing....I have seen toyota's 4linked without cutting the framerails out....I'm not sure if they were done correctly...just that I have seen them.

Jon

ntsqd

I'll second replacing the crush sleave with a solid spacer. I had a crush sleave in my 8" Ford diff ( same exact part as used in a 9" Ford) relax and nearly kill the R&P.
Most diff rebuild kits supply a crush sleave. I set the pinion depth and then set the bearing preload using the sleave. Then I pull it apart and measure the sleave's length. That tells me how long to make a spacer.
If you must buy one, All Pro Off Road has found the p/n for the early Yota solid spacer (that adjusts preload with shims) and now sells them. You can possibly still get the factory part from a friendly yota parts counter person.

The diff from the V6 equipped trucks are 8" units, but they use a different R&P than the 4 cyl R&P. They may be stronger in the higher numeric ratios since the pinion should be bigger.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

drtdevil93

i didnt think there was a friendly toyota parts counter person in california. they all seem to either not have what i need, or are jerks.

erik

WFODAN

I just got done going threw my 8 inch again . The biggest problem I ran into was that I started out with the diff that has the factory 4.88 gears . This diff can only use the factory 4.88s and that's it . This diff runs a thinner ring gear than the standard v-6 rear end so the pinion is offset a bit . I stepped up my r&p to 5.29 and had to get another case out of a standard 4.10 v-6 8 inch to make it happen . I was also stoked as I finally found a place that makes the one and only spool for the 8 inch toyota rear end ( thanks Fish ) . Goodbye to the noisey locker . All in all I haven't found any problems with the 8 inch rear end as of yet . I did break the housing once but it was after three full seasons of killing the thing and two race seasons . I wasn't sad considering it only cost me 100 bucks to replace it .

Dan Vance

geoff

i think the problem initiall comes in when you try to mount the arms under the frame...

this gives you no real up travel, and makes the truck SUPER tall.

heres another image i found

Last thing wrong with running this kind of a setup is that you are going to have to use a rim with some SERIOUS backspacing, if not a huge spacer. The wheel bearing life will probably be greatly diminished.

In regards to the axle tubes, do you mean that the 4 bolt flange actually tears from the tubes? I was unclear on what you meant by "the ends" but i am going to truss the back also (i already did the top) and then i will connect the two trusses with plate. lots more work to do...

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

geoff

i was only able to find one spool for my t100 rear... it was a spool of MIG wire =)

WFODAN

Yep ......... no spool yet for the T100 rear . Just for the 8 inch rear end . I believe the T100 runs an 8.25 ring gear . There are a few lockers you can run for the T100 though ........... Just not the cheapest way to go .

Dan Vance

curt

Funny thing, we got to the track last weekend and our problems all started with the rear end....Both sides of the axle had cracks after practice at the spring perches. The welds on the insides of the tube both cracked and it was leaving a puddle of 90wt. Then after we were flipped over off the start, we broke the axle cleanly after the bearing. In fairness this axle was used by JDFAB for a while and we've put about 10 shortcourse, 3 desert, and 14 stadium races on it and the only maintainence was a single ring and pinion in the last 2-1/2 years.....Curt

VORRA Class 7

Jkrell

Dan - have you been running the 5.29 R&P without problems? I was under the impression that they wouldn't live in the 8"....especially with your kinda motor.

Geoff - the axel tubes tear on the bottom just inside the weld for the outer 4 bolt flange that welds to the axel tubes....basically just leverage from hitting the bumpstops the axletube/flange can't take it forever without some plating. As for the 4link...on a ranger (with the narrower fraimrails) I have seen lots of 4links that seem to work fine. The one you show pictured it does look like the backspacing could be a problem. I would guess probably becasue the rearend is a little on the narrow side. As for the toyota and the front pivot point...is there anyway you could mount them inside the fraime? I think I saw this on the the Macpherson 7 open truck (chevy with frame rails that look about as wide as the toyotas).

Jon

geoff

it will need less backspacing, and more offset, not more backspace as i posted. brain fart, thanks

WFODAN

Yes Jon I run the 5.29s without a problem . Actually I have a set of 5.71s being set up in my spare third member right now . I'll let you know how it goes .

On a side note ....... Are you going to run the UP Time Trials on the 10th ?? I don't want to hear about the truck needing prep and so on . It's only a three lap deal , so you'll be fine . I want a chance to win back my money !! LOL!!!!!

Dan Vance

Jkrell

I wouldn't use the prep excuse...the truck is still in pretty good shape actually...I do have an excuse though...I am going to a wedding in monterey that weekend...I am going to try and make the race after though....BUT....you can forget a side bet between you and I at a short course race unless you put a restrictor plate on that motor....no desire to throw my money away....and dont give me shiz for it...you and I both know you motor makes twice (at least) the HP as mine and my mom could probably set a faster time in your truck than I could in my truck.

Then again....maybe I will take that bet....I might have a good bet going if you break your truck in the same distance as the wildwash or if you let Fish prep it again like the last race :)

O goodness, what have I started?

Ok enough fun...back to finals...just two more today and I'm home free.