Throwback Thursday

Reaction
Let's take a stroll down memory lane...

Join me in posting some old school off-road racing pictures as we make our way through the week. It's almost Friday everyone! Short stories are welcome also.
tbt baja 1000.jpg

jon coleman

Reaction
r .kaiser 's chase truck, before & after.those pesky baja free way shoulders..everyone was ok.drive home from cabo i heard was ,, 'exciting' w no wind shield

Anger Issues

Reaction
first race.jpg

I will never forget this one... our first race in the Bronco: Tonopah 300, August of 2001. We were nowhere NEAR ready to race and although most of my (smarter) friends tried to get me to wait till the next race, I was out to win the FORD contingency of $10,000 in BITD. Chris Curtis, on the left, made the mistake of actually encouraging the entire Anger Issues venture on a long night of drinking during which I was kicked out of a couple of Vegas bars. So I stole the wife's grocery grabber, gutted it and had it caged... threw in some seats and a radio and we were off!

Apparently the other racers don't stay up playing backjack until 1:00 am. Go figure! So while sitting in staging with a terrible hangover I remember wondering if I ever tightened the front bumper after the paint job. Oh well... green flag!

About 30 or 40 miles in, there is this AWFUL banging and clanging in the front... almost like we are dragging our stock bumper. We WERE!! We both jumped out and I thought we could just... ya know... rip it off, rather than get out the tools!! I start jumping up and down on the high side (still bolted), while Chris is yanking like a demon on the lower end, which is hanging down in the dirt. Now this is hard to imagine, but I had to pee so bad (I didn't during staging)... that it just starts coming out, but we have catheters, of COURSE, like all the big boys. Well... the pee is coming out fast, and running "downhill", so to speak, right to Chris who is still jerking on the bumper down in the dirt. I started laughing, and couldn't stop, and will never EVER forget the expression on his face when he realizes what is going on... that he is being assaulted by an onslaught of whiz from the hysterical idiot jumping up and down on the truck!

When we gathered our senses, the remaining bolt was only finger tight, and away we went with no bumper. The exhaust starting dragging 15 or 20 miles later and we had to cut the welded hangers off. We leave the mufflers and take off again, only to start losing oil pressure. Rather than take the time to check it, I just assume we have a leak, and keep adding more oil to the engine. When we were done the truck leaked oil for weeks... there must have been 5 gallons in there!

Needless to say we didn't finish but my dad was right there, at every pit, doing all he could to keep his (seemingly idiotic) son out there doing battle. I miss him every day and am looking forward to having some bourbon with Chris Curtis tomorrow in the middle of Nevada.
first race.jpg

bullnerd

Reaction
Check this out! I just turned 50 in April, thats me sitting on the roof. The guy is my mother's Uncle, We called him Uncle Bunky. He was a VW legend where we lived in NJ. Had a paved RC car track in his backyard starting as far back as the 80's . That dude was my hero growing up.

HP_HP pst3200_1840435304-1840437683_000.JPG

bullnerd

Reaction
is that an oval track car?, road racer?, its got some phat tires, bet it was quick

Yup, 1/4 mile dirt oval. That's all there was back then for vws. The owner of a local track saw my uncle and his friends running their cars in the pine barrens of NJ and asked if they wanted to run on his track. Then it evolved into a pretty big thing.

Bunky was a machinist for DeLeval turbine waaay back. He had a huge belt driven lathe in his home garage. Made his own widened rims for the dirt track cars. They tried to ban him from using them, but the other drivers just wanted rims too.