Thursday's Protest Rally...

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Thursday\'s Protest Rally...

Just wondering how many of you I will be seeing out at the Boxer protest rally in San Bern this Thursday. Since it's at 11 am I know most people have to work, but I was just curious as to whether I'd be alone in a sea of Jeep people out there!

<font color=red>JEN!</font color=red>

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Re: Thursday\'s Protest Rally...

Jen, I'll be there with ya and Ryan will also be there.

Go Big Or Go Home

Dave_G

Reaction

Re: "Just wondering how many of you I will be seeing out at the Boxer protest rally in San Bern this Thursday."

Jen,
I've apparently missed this info......where exactly is it taking place.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Paige

Reaction

San Bernardino Rally ~

TIME: 11:00am
DIRECTIONS:
From 215, exit 2nd Street
EAST on 2nd Street (towards Carousel Mall)
LEFT on E Street (The Offices of Senator Boxer, Neil Soto, and Joe Baca
are on the corner.)
Town Square is about 100' from the corner on the LEFT side.

The Offices of Senator Boxer, Neil Soto, and Joe Baca are still on the
corner.

http://www.warriorssociety.org/Wilderness/Protest_Locations_and_Maps.htm

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

martininsocal

Reaction

I will be there. Anyone else going, I will be wearing a SCORE T-Shirt. Someone has to!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Dave_G

Reaction

Re: "The Offices of Senator Boxer, Neil Soto, and Joe Baca are still on the
corner."

Paige,
I know it well. There is a large public parking structure just behind the office next to the Big 5 store. Carousel Mall is right across the street and Enduro racing (Duralast) is only three blocks away. If they wern't leaving fo Henderson on thursday I know I could talk Dave Ashley and Dan into going. They totally despise Boxer.

Best,
Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Paige

Reaction

Here is some more info on the rally ~

PLEASE ATTEND ONE OF THESE RALLYS AND SHOW YOUR OPPOSITION TO BOXERS 2.5 MILLION ACRE WILDERNESS BILL. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS

ALL RALLYS ARE ON THURSDAY, JULY 11, 2002

Sacramento: We will be meeting at Miller Park (Broadway & Marina View Dr.) at 11:00 AM. We will depart for the State Capitol at Noon sharp and proceed to circle the Capitol Mall in a very slow manner. After circling the Capitol Mall a few times, we will park and walk to the North steps of the State Capitol. Bring your signs & banners. If you are on a Mountain Bike, bring it. CONTACTS: State Capitol Rally - Jon Crowley - 530.677.1651 - Cell 916.849.7420 - Del Albright - 209.286.1009 - Cell 209.304.7693 - Don Amador 925.625.6287- Cell - 925.783.1834

Los Angeles: We will be meeting on North Garey St. just north of Temple, near Boxer's offices in LA. We will depart from the staging area at 12:00 sharp and proceed to circle her office in a very slow manner. At approx. 12:30, as the majority of the group continues parading in the area, we will hand deliver to Senator Boxers office to oppose more wilderness Area designations. It is best to bring your 4x4s, mountain bikes, dual sports or even a tow trailer with motorcycles and ATVs. We will drive slow enough so bikes will be able to keep up easily For more info. contact - Kevin Flath - 805.320.6723

San Bernardino: We will be gathering at about 11:00 AM in the Town Square located on the corners of "E" and Court Streets. On the corner of E street are the offices for Barbara Boxer, Neil Soto (assemblyman) and Joe Baca (assemblyman). The town square is about 100' from the conrer on the left side. We will be walking over to Boxers office to present petitions opposing wilderness at noon. For more info. contact -Vicki Warren -909.738.9047 - Cell 909.317.7917

PLEASE BRING SIGNS, YOUR KIDS, WATER AND SUNBLOCK. THIS IS A PEACEFUL RALLY WITH EXPECTED MEDIA ATTENTION AND WILDERNESS ADVOCATES PRESENT:

Here are a few ideas to use for signs.

If you decide to come up with your own idea, please keep it clean.
Public Land for Public Use
No more land grabs
Access for All
Reform the Endangered Species Act
No more Wilderness Area Designations
Dump Senator Boxer 2004!
No More in 2004. Dump Boxer!
I Recreate on Public Land and I Vote!
When I grow up, will I have a place to ride?

Senator Boxer's proposal would add 2.5 million acres to the already existing over 14 million acres of designated Wilderness in California. Under a Wilderness Area designation, numerous outdoor recreation enthusiasts would be shut out of some of their favorite places because of new restrictions on off-highway vehicles, mountain biking, equestrian, and even hiking.

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction

What a great day out in San Bernardino! A whole bunch of people showed up to speak their minds about Boxer's Wilderness Act and we got a lot of signatures on the petition in the morning from people walking by and a lot of them were appalled to hear what Boxer is proposing. Trucks and cars were honking in support as they drove by. The weather was even on our side, as it didn't start really warming up until the very end of the afternoon. Attached is a picture of the procession to Boxer's office to deliver the signed petitions.

<font color=red>JEN!</font color=red>

Attachments

motoxscott

Reaction

Thanks to everyone who made it out there to show our support, as most of us wish we could have.

-Scott

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction

Here's an article from Today's San Bernardino County Sun Re: the protest:
Thanks to all who participated!

By ANDREW SILVA
Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO … Calling it the latest attempt to shut down the desert, a group of miners, off-roaders, mountain bikers and others on Thursday protested a plan to designate 2.5‚million acres as wilderness.
``We're environmentalists too,'' said Chuck Mobley, a former San Bernardino resident and member of the American Sand Association. ``We want to protect land and species. We just think there's room for both.''

Several dozen protesters carrying signs and blowing whistles marched near the San Bernardino office of Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., on E Street at Second Street. A petition in opposition to the bill with about 9,500 signatures was submitted to her staff.

Boxer's bill would designate 336,938 acres in the Mojave Desert and 54,080 acres in the San Bernardino National Forest as wilderness areas shielded within a National Wilderness Preservation System.

For advocates of open public lands, still bitter over restrictions imposed by the California Desert Protection Act of 1994, the Senate bill is the latest effort to wrest public lands from anyone whose outdoor activities involve anything other than walking with a backpack.

``A lot of different groups would be affected,'' said Vicki Warren, who helped organize the protest. ``Miners can't mine. Horse riders can't truck their horses to their favorite trails. Mountain bikers can't ride.''

Paul Little Coyote, 42, of Big Bear City mines for gold in Holcomb Valley and the Mojave Desert.

``(U.S. Sen. Dianne) Feinstein closed a lot of mining properties,'' he said referring to the 1994 bill, which added 3.5 million acres of wilderness to the desert. ``This closure will be worse.''

Wilderness is the most restrictive designation, allowing no mechanical or motorized recreation, including bicycles. It is open to horses, hiking, fishing and cross-country skiing.

The protesters argued the wilderness designation would leave only able-bodied backpackers to enjoy those areas. The elderly or disabled will be effectively shut out, they said.

Also on Thursday, Boxer issued a written statement aimed at the criticism.

She called the bill a ``balanced approach'' to preservation, crafted in consultation with environmentalists, mountain bike groups and off-roaders.

``Although off-road vehicles and mountain bikes are prohibited in wilderness areas, other public lands provide opportunities for these recreation users,'' she said. ``In fact, the state parks department estimates that 100,000 miles of trails and roads remain available for off-highway recreation.''

Vtr_Racing

Reaction

Boy, thats a great showing there.....Ms. Boxer still doesnt get it either... I wonder how she got voted in....

Speed Safely

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

As a favor...that's how

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

CoiloverKid

Reaction

--"In fact, the state parks department estimates that 100,000 miles of trails and roads remain available for off-highway recreation"--

considering all the people active in the sport, that would mean about 100 square feet for everyone to enjoy equally.

Keep it sideways.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

IF you go up to Barstow and go up and down every trail and in between bushes you could get 100,000 miles. A trail and an open desert are not equal by any means.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

klaus

Administrator
Reaction

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crowley-offroad.com/protest_rally_picture_gallery.htm>CLICK HERE</A> for a picture gallery from the Protest last Thursday.

Tom_Willis

Reaction

Thank you to everyone that made it to the protests. I wish I had known about it. I would have gotten everybody at the staging area at Henderson to sign the petitions..... I'm proud to know people like you who spend their own time and money to let the "representatives" of our government know how we actually want to be represented. To let them know that jobs and businesses are more important than saving weeds. And to those parents who brought their kids with them, remind them to tell their schoolmates that we're not the enemy of the desert, we are the caretakers of it. GOOD JOB!

RacnCPA

Reaction

Martin did I miss meeting you? I was the reporter in the Leopard hat. I'm sure you're in Ann's pictures. Let me know. Thanks.

Sc

RacnCPA

Reaction

Tom if I would have known I would have brought them. I went right from the rally to Henderson.
It was a good PEACEFUL showing. We did turn in the petitions to the district office at the end of the rally.

CJ, Michelle, Vicki, Nicole, Jen, and all the rest did an awesome job of organizing and participating in this rally. My hats off to you ladies and gents. THANK YOU to everyone who took time out of their busy schedules to help this effort. And THANK YOU to all the supporters and helpers behind the scenes. Maybe we can get the message through.

For those younger people in the off-road world, make sure you are registered to vote so we can accomplish the removal of anti-access for all Senator Boxer.

Sc

martininsocal

Reaction

coolest accountant-yes, i was there in my score shirt-i said i would wear it! i had the "NO MECHANIZED MEANS NO WHEELCHAIRS SIGN". I left about 12:30. It was cool going up to Boxer's office and seeing the unknowing assistant to the aid! "she told me to give this to you as her statement..." just exactly what is that guys purpose anyway? (I have my own conclusions about that).
I do remember the leopord hat, didn't know that was you. maybe next time!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Paige

Reaction

Sheryl ~ Did CJ ever get that map blown up so people could see it? She said she was going to get it blown up really big - but I forgot to ask her if that got done. I tried to attach the map here for ya'll to see but the file is too big.

Congrats and kudos to everyone that went out and protested - hopefully it made some sort of difference and if not to Boxer, maybe to the voters - Sheryl is right - you've got to vote to make a difference!