TIE RODS

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I was wondering what the best way to go about getting tie rods made is. i plan on ruinning heims but for the material in between i have some questions. i was told to go wioth a 1" od and thread the ends for the heims. As far as the material goes is 4130 .188 wall tubing the best? i can get 1' od bar stock form work be it aluminium or 316 SS and some other type of SS, hastaloy and a few others i cant think of right now. what do you think. i really like the 316 ss or aluminium idea but will they be as strong at the 4130 tubing? all the machining is no problem so the fact that the tubing is hollow and easier to thread isnt a problem. any opinions?

Gregg

redline

Reaction
you can get chromoly tie rods pretapped from stock car products. just figure the length you want. you can tap them yourself but it is a work out

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Hastaloy! You must be a glutton for punishment. They would be strong though. If you get some 1.25 X .156 wall chromoly tubing you can run a 1'-14 tap into it with out drilling.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i knoe hastaloy is very hard. any thing wrong with doing them outa 6061 aluminum yeah the pre made ones would work but they are not free like getting them done at work will be i just have to buy the heims and a 30 pack for my friend.

prospectator

Reaction
Gregg,
What size heim do you plan to run. I use 3/4 heims spaced down to 1/2. I used 1" X .250 wall, cold rolled, then drilled and taped for the heim. I don't recommend using heims for both ends. The heims don't last as long as the factory hardware. And putting heims on the centerlink side is just a waste of money. I haven't had any problems with my tie rods. The only problem I have is with the heims, they don't like daily driving as much as I hoped.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i dunno really its all just what i want to do right now. just thinking of some other ways to spend some money i guessplus withthe coilovers on it feels like my front end is floating on air all the time especially when my bike is in the bed.

Ahles

Reaction
I just replaced my tie rods that had International ends to Heims. I had 1-1/4" Chromoly tubing 120 wall cut to length and drilled a couple holes, then inserted Heim bunns(sp?) (Autofab), and TIG weld. The inside end the heim has a built in spacer and the outside end is standard. See Pictures.

Dave
Makena Motorsports