TIG question

dadomin8r

Reaction
What does it mean when you are welding and the puddle immediately starts to bubble on steel. Is there a switch that is in the wrong spot?

1992f150

Reaction
Not sure what you mean by bubble? Things to check: tungsten contamination, correct color code, check shielding gas, correct polarity?, oil or something on the metal/filler rod? Using correct filler rod? Also this sounds dumb but make sure it is steel...one time I was trying to weld a piece of stainless to some aluminum (no it doesnt work good
).

In_the_works

Reaction
Maybe you could be more specific? Is there black soot arount the puddle? Could be contamination on the filler rod/tungsten/work piece. Could also be your high frequency setting.

Crayfish

Reaction
If there are sparks coming off the tungsten then the tungsten needs to be sharpened. If it looks like you are trying to arc weld then maybe the shielding gas needs to be increased. I think mine is at 10CFH usually. Try both and see if that helps.

Crayfish

jim_moulton

Reaction
Turn the gas on!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Gas is on and it is set to a 10 sec post flow. Tungsten is sharp. Polarity is correct. I am pretty sure it is contamination but I am a novice at welding so I will let him chime in with more detailed info.

DANKFAB

Reaction
Sounds like not enough gas from what I understand. I recall the same thing happening to me whenever I would run out of gas, or have it too low of a setting. Turn it up and keep welding. It could be contamination of the weld surface or the tungsten. Check all those things everyone else has suggested too because TIG is real touchy in some situations.

1992f150

Reaction
hit it with acetone or wire wheel, check and make sure the ground is clean and a good connection too.

Dave_G

Reaction
Are you welding a part that has cad or zinc plating on it? If so, you need to get the plating off first. That will also cause what problem your having.

Dave

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Metal is durty, clean it off, dirty as in dirt or slag or anything other then bare metal. Also If your filler rod is not new it could have moisture or other contaminents in it and it wont stabalize the pool, what rod type are you using. Also I have found that if you get a weld that is really dirt or you have no choice but to weld on a dirty surface, use some 308 stainless rod.

ntsqd

Reaction
Muriatic Acid (pool acid from Home Depot, it's hydrochloric acid - DON'T BREATHE THE FUMES) will remove the plating. Grinding it will not. Grinding removes enough to look like it has, but smears enough of the plating into the 'bare' metal to still screw you up. If your mouth tastes metallic, STOP !! You are welding plated metal.

BE DAMN CAREFUL with the acid. It will hurt you if you are not careful. Safety glasses are an exceptionally good idea, a face shield is even better.
Know that steel freshly rinsed off with H2O from an acid bath will rust amazingly fast. I use compressed air to dry it. Waiting for it to air dry will incur some surface rust. It's that fast.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
ok since no chime in from Dominic...no zinc, gas is there..not sure on flow rate. Bare DOM saddle weld is what was being welded...

vorra65

Reaction
Make sure your gas is good. Last 2 bottles of argon were bad. Both had contaminent's. They have to send it out to be analyzed, and are reluctant to admit it's contaminated. What have you changed, since the last time you used the machine? You know, when it welded OK.

I have gotten bad MIG gas before as well.

geoff

Reaction
Which welder are you using? Is this a liftarc or a High Freq Start Welder? If the High Freq isnt working that could be a cause, if you arent getting enough current that can do it, too. Has this welder worked well in the past?

dadomin8r

Reaction
It may be the high frequency setting. I can't tell which one is start and which one is continuous. Let me go get some pictures. There was some cutting oil when I notched it but usually wiping it off takes care of it and I don't have any problems. I'll go get some pictures and post them and maybe you guys can tell me what the heck all these darn switches are.

Oh yeah, it was the 70s2 fill rod or something like that.

dadomin8r

Reaction
Also, how do you turn off the pedal? I tried to change the output to the middle and to ON and it would start an arc (barely) and it just wouldn't go. It would barely stick the tungsten to the metal if I just left it on the metal.

properprerunner

Reaction
Maybe you should take a class on welding. Some Community colleges have pretty good intro class. Or finding someone who could sit down and teach you. there is a lot more to TIG welding than mashing the pedal down.