tig weld (basket weave)

chace

Reaction
can anyone explain how to "walk the cup" or basket weave with a tig welder. going to be welding top tubes and main corners of a cage

Ryan B

Reaction
can anyone explain how to "walk the cup" or basket weave with a tig welder. going to be welding top tubes and main corners of a cage
don't learn how to weave weld on your roll cage. To make welds that are in the "pretty welds" thread it's going to take months of practice if you are already good at tig welding.

Call a local shop, and maybe you can pay one of the welders there to give you some after hours lessons.

chace

Reaction
ya just want some pointers for to practice. i might throw a mig bean on the main points or have my buddy throw a cover pass on it. just looking for a less generic answer.

scottm

Reaction
I think a 'conventional' tig weld, like you see on a Geiser or Foddrill or Arizona Precision chassis will be a better weld than a weaved tig, or a mig weld with a cover pass.

Wild bill

Reaction
I wouldn't try to weave those welds. If it is 4130....just pre-heat the joint to 350f, run a root pass with 1/32" 70s-6 rod, cap with another pass of 70s-6 rod, then post heat. The tube will break before the weld if done properly.

chace

Reaction
thanks for the info guys. still curious as to the weave pattern. how is it done or what method do u guys use on major stress points of a cage or suspension?

Brian Mapes

Reaction
typically when u do a weave tig weld is when the joint is big or the wall thickness is thick and calls for a weld with longer legs. a rollcage tube doesnt need to have a weave pass but can. i wouldnt tig over mig though. u wont get the best results. as for a proper way to weave first lay down tig single pass then your weave goes on top. you move the torxh side to side a littke wider than the first pass while adding filler at each side when u stop before u move back to other side. try weave without filler first to get the motion down. hope this helps.

stealthcammo1

Reaction
anyone remember the vid that camburg did showing a root pass and weave pass on a long joint? i cant find it on youtube anymore.

glamiskid395

Reaction
Re: Re: tig weld (basket weave)

anyone remember the vid that camburg did showing a root pass and weave pass on a long joint? i cant find it on youtube anymore.
WWW.weldingtipsandtricks.com they have the Camburg video and a lot of other info

Brian Mapes

Reaction
i am going to take a few videos today at work with the filter in front of the lens. i will have a few videos at the end of the work day for sure. only problem is i dont know how to post and
upload.. videos. so if someone could contact me i can email the files when i get home from work and you can post them on youtube or wherever u need to put them so we can all viiew them conviently. so someone pm me on here today so we can get this done. thanks :

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Without discussing pros/cons of either process but to answer your question... (somewhat):

More times than not, when I see those types of welds, typically they are running a hot "stringer" type root pass with 3/32. They will usually follow-up that with a "wash" pass using 1/16", lowering amps but keeping the "toes" of the wash pass wet enough to blend.

Brian Mapes

Reaction
ok so i made a video yesterday but my vid camera is not very good so instead of beiing ablebl to see the electrode and arc and puddle indepedently they all blurred together as one big bright ball. i did make a separate video without striking an arc the demonstrates the motion and steps to take quiite well. so i will go about getting that posted to.ight

Brian Mapes

Reaction
yes i put a 2x4 shade 10 in front of the lens. you can see the electrode but the arc just looks like a rounded ball or light and u cant make out thw puddle

loufish

Reaction
yes i put a 2x4 shade 10 in front of the lens. you can see the electrode but the arc just looks like a rounded ball or light and u cant make out thw puddle
I'm guessing the autofocus got confused....try manually focusing before hand......just a thought....:)