Timber/Ecos

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
If any of you read the Wall Street Journal there is an interesting article in todays paper about an increasingly unlikely alliance between the lumber industry and the enviromentalists. In an attempt to keep sprawl contained, protect the forest and preserve the logging industry, the large logging companies have been selling their millions of acres of forest to enviromental groups who in turn preserve the land from developers, but allow the loggers to keep logging with less intrusive methods (no clear cutting and logging further from streams etc) Both sides are calling it a win-win situation and and it is gaining in popularity. Goes to show that there are some sensible enviromentalists out there and that not all of them are crazy tree huggers!

I tried to post a like to the story but in order to access it one must be an "on line subscriber" and I only subscribe to the paper. Seems kinda stupid as I read the same articles! If anybody subscribes online, please post a link. It was in the Marketplace section of today's paper.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Copy and paste the story herewith all credit given.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I can't even access the story on the web site. I only read it in the paper. Sorry

See ya in the dirt!

martininsocal

Reaction
Jr- thsi is nothing new, what has been happening for the last 10 years is a trade, enviros will allow logging in one place to prevent costly litigation to the timber harvestor in exchange for a deal on the land they want to protect. In the past, this usually involved selling western forests for a pass to log in the southeast. Most of the timber induatry has moved to the southeast now and they hold much of the private land that is "plantation" logging, so it is not considered valuable as possible wilderness. The land in the west was always logged in a patchwork due to terrain, so there is more land that was never touched over the last century. Those lands are considered very valuable for their old growth/new growth content.
With most of the western federal forests having little to no commercial logging right now, the enviro's have set their sights on private holdings. They threaten logging companies with litigation which will cost millions and take years or they will exchange a decent sale price on land they want with a promise of no contest to logging on lands they consider of little to no environmental value. They did the same thing with the mountain bikers in Boxers wilderness bill. And the mountain bikers saw right through it, thats why they are not going to support the bill when they usually would have in the past. I have no problem supporting the purchase, at fair market value, of land by conservation groups who wish to preserve it. I will not support the use of emminent domain to force a purchase to take over private property. when the environmental groups can't reach a deal, they turn to the courts to force a deal.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG