• Forum membership has its advantages....

Time To Go Racing 2002

Protech975

The 2002 race season is here and we need to get some feedback as to who is racing where and when.
SNORE,MORE,SCORE,Whiplash all have their first races this month as well as others, MDR first week in Feb.
Who will be racing in what series and when? Who needs pit support or extra help?
MORE starts off the year on the 18th in Barstow then the following week the Parker 400 and Laughlin with SNORE/ Whiplash and SCORE.
I guess the Rule change issue is done for now but we need to keep ideas flowing for concideration next year!
Ken Talpert the new #975 in L.V. if you see this give me a call or Email. R.S.

Protech975

Kenny thats a fantastic number to see, I will be there with the CORE pit club but will also bring some spare emergency parts and tires for any class 9 that may need them!
I saw last night a post on GO-Desert from Mike Hinson stating that there are only 15 or so registered 9 car people that are now using this Formula Nines discussion board! Wow, I thought that most of the drivers listed in the drivers section were also using this forum. that is why we see so little feedback and responce on issues and topics. We really need to push this site to all the current class 9 people so we can get a much more broader field of opinions. I really appriciate the profesional attitude we see on this forum compared to other I have seen latly. TTYS R.S.

mike_hinson

Rob,
I second that motion. We just had another sign up today, for a total of 16.

Kenny,
I think we all appreciate what you are trying to do. If we can get the discussion going on the forum, it might work a little better.

Thanks again,
Mike Hinson

Catawampus

We will be racing the entire MDR series this year, and if our budget allows, hopefully squeeze in a MORE race now-and-then.

Best of Luck to all!

Kenny_Thatcher

The big toppic at last nights snore genral membership meeting was the class 9 rules sevral of us
talked about wieght in class 9 alot of guys would like to go back to the old wet weight rule
if the car is lighter you break less stuff like spindels and such think about 9 cars are 20 inches
have less parts on them than a 1600 car and yet they have to weigh the same 1550lbs if we get
enough positive feed back on this issue we can make it happen of 30 or so people to attend last nights
meeting 12 were local LasVegas class 9 drivers and we represented the out of town 9 guys

Thank you
your class 9 reps Clay Lenard and Kenny Thatcher

Protech975

Trey
I do not know much about FUD/FRT can you fill us in, Where are they based and where do they race?
Whats the diff. between FUD and FRT? How many 9 cars are currently running this series and who was the top driver in last years series? Great to see they have a full schedule set for this year.
Just trying to get more info about other race org. out to those of us that are stuck in the Mojave and So. Nevada. area. Thanks R.S.

AllwaysRcn

The Fud/Frt series is one series. Based out of the imperial valley (eastern san diego). I was the #900 car last year. I lost my crown to Julie Kern this past season.
Usually only a handfull of 9 cars 3-6 run each race with the exception of the CODE/FUD race in TECATE mexico. That race last year brought 12-15 cars for the two day, short course style event. VERY FUN!!!!!
It would be great to see some new faces at these events. I am always trying to get more 9 cars out here. The entry fees are very reasonable($300?) and the courses are very challenging but VERY fun!
If anyone is interested in running any of these events-go to WWW.FUDRACE.COM

AllwaysRcn

That should have read 12-15 Class 9 cars. The TECATE event (in general) had a very large turnout in all classes.
If anyone is interested in running a FUD event, please feel free to contact me (here or PM me or e-mail me [email protected]) Thanks
Trey Sommers

AllwaysRcn

Not sure why that option came about but I'm not complaining! These wheels seem to be easier on all the other parts. Note-my car is still over weight.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Fud is probably one of the smarter promoters as far as being racer friendly and understanding their needs, they adopted the tire rule because then you could borrow and share tires from other classes therefore not having to buy a bunch of extra tires to go racing. remember this class is supposed to be about the guy with a small budget. aluminum wheels are not an advantage in this class they just cost alot more.

Protech975

Dan
Great to see you join the forum, I have not met you personaly but have raced against you a few time and you seem to be at the top of your game when it comes to 9 cars! Must be nice to have access to the best Trans. shop going? and at a big discount no doubt.- Free plug there!-
Seems that Centerline type rims would be an advantage as there would be less slung weight at the axle to rotate, quicker revs, less stress on Trans and Engine. What is the weight differance between steel and Alluminum? Race gas does nothing in a 7to1 compression engine,Sorry. R.S. #975

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Protech975 on 01/13/02 08:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

AllwaysRcn

My aluminum wheels are some beat up old Jackmans beleive or not.What does everyone else generaly run for rear tires?Yokohama? BFG? is there a sprung weight difference there?

Thanks Robert. Let me tell ya knowing a good transmission builder is the key. We personally run the yokahamas they seem to work the best for us but we really havent done much tire testing. most nine cars you see run the yokos. Ya being able to run aluminum wheels would be better on trannys, only if they were as cheap as steel rims.

Catawampus

Hey Daniel, the last time we chatted was at the Kartek 400. Congratulations on your championship season. Where and what are you going to be racing this season?

Protech975

We have always run Yoko's and had great luck with them, the only rear tire failures we have had in the last 2 1/2 years has been from those big sharp rocks that jump out from behind a bush and snag your tires during a race! {ie.Driver Errors}. I have seen some guys run the Caldwell recapped Yoko's and they say that they love them both for wear and traction, but I could never quite justify spending $90 to recap a $95 dollar tire?
Oh, by the way If you guys are near a Parkhouse Tire Co. they sell rear Yok's to racers for $95 each, cheapest I have found anywhere. I believe $75 for fronts. R.S.

AllwaysRcn

Is that ANY parkhouse tire co?
Back in 98 when we ran the entire score series, we ran BFG's on the car. (part of a program deal)
We got an extra $500 for crossing the finish line w/4 BFGs. we got the score championship that year and the milestone or truegrit award (w/martin christensen) I ended up with a bunch those tires and still have a lot of Yokos. When we did some testing on each. The BFG worked better at the higher speeds and in washes. The Yoko was better off the start and at lower tight twisty speeds. The Yokohama seems like a lighter tire BUT In the last four years I've ran Yokohama's 3 times and coinsidentally(sp?) I rolled the car those three times. I'm trying to figure out if sidewall strength is a factor or a comfort level or ? I've gone the last two seasons on BFGs (one championship season) and NO FLATS. just curious to see what others outside my area think?? Thanks in advance !!
Trey