Timerider...The Adventure of Lyle Swann

BGRANT

Reaction
Think I saw it on BETA. I remember how stoked I was to see offroad racing in a movie. Didn't he play Remo Williams also?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
"Where you from my friend?" "Canoga Park, LA" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, this movie looks way rad!
How did he not run out of gas though?:) His helmet is saweet!!!

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Looked on Amazon.com, $54 used!:0

DeCampRacing

Reaction
I don't know if any of you youngsters have ever heard of the 60/70's rock group The Monkees, Anyway, Michael Nesmith (one of the original members) raced a class 8 truck in baja during the early 80's. He backed and produced the movie "Timerider" If you look at the classic photos at www.tracksidephoto.com they promote the movie on the truck.

One interesting note is that Michael Nesmith didn't make his fortune as a member of The Monkees, rather his Mother invented Liquid Paper and sold the rights in 1980 for $47.5 Million. She died six months later.

BGRANT

Reaction
I don't know if any of you youngsters have ever heard of the 60/70's rock group The Monkees, Anyway, Michael Nesmith (one of the original members) raced a class 8 truck in baja during the early 80's. He backed and produced the movie "Timerider" If you look at the classic photos at www.tracksidephoto.com they promote the movie on the truck.

One interesting note is that Michael Nesmith didn't make his fortune as a member of The Monkees, rather his Mother invented Liquid Paper and sold the rights in 1980 for $47.5 Million. She died six months later.

Hey...Hey....Cool bit of trivia.

bobylax

Reaction
Saw it at the theaters when it came out. A guy from work had it on VHS tape, and I asked if I could copy it to a DVD. Cool movie, and Fred Ward, (Lyle Swan) was Remo Williams.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Bobylax do you have it on DVD? I will "pay" you for a copy:)

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction

michael_loomis

Reaction
Dude! He's probably burnin moonshine thru that thing! lol

Loved that movie as a kid.. Dirt bikers always pull the chicks!

vetracer

Reaction
While we're talking old baja movies-Does anyone remember the movie "Prey for the Wildcats"? or something along that line. It starred William Shatner-where 4 friends went on a bike trip to baja and while they were down there, they got into some kind of trouble- one of them was killed and the others came back enemies. I think it was made late seventies or early eighties.

Wasn't as good as Timerider. That was a cool movie!

Last edited:
Reaction
While we're talking old baja movies-Does anyone remember the movie "Prey for the Wildcats"? or something along that line. It starred William Shatner-where 4 friends went on a bike trip to baja and while they were down there, they got into some kind of trouble- one of them was killed and the others came back enemies. I think it was made late seventies or early eighties.

Andy Griffith played the bad guy. He was mean to Mexicans and hippies. Didn't he and his bike go plunging off a cliff, crashing and burning on the beach?

I think that might have been an ABC Movie of the Week. From early to mid 70's, IIRC.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Sorry for the hijack, but do you want to know the worst dirt bike movie ever made? Drum roll please. The Dirt Gang...circa 1972.

Here is the description:
A film crew shooting in the desert is terrorized by a vicious outlaw motorcycle gang (on dirt bikes, no less) who are after the women in the company

It is so bad that it is hysterically funny. :D

Attachments

• dirt_gang[1].jpg
    dirt_gang[1].jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 145

vetracer

Reaction
Andy Griffith played the bad guy. He was mean to Mexicans and hippies. Didn't he and his bike go plunging off a cliff, crashing and burning on the beach?

I think that might have been an ABC Movie of the Week. From early to mid 70's, IIRC.

That's right, I forgot about AG being in it as well! Damn-I must be gettin' old.......

scapriss

Reaction
Timerider was one of my favorite movies as a kid ! Does anybody know anything about the guy who built the bike ? I pretty sure it was the same person who built my bike.His name is Jack Hateley. I think he designed tracks also but not positive.Im trying to find out all I can about the Honda I bought some time ago when I worked at a shop in los angeles called Cycle Products West on Pico Blvd. I was told his son won a few faces on this bike back in the day. In fact it was built a year before the change to the mono shock design, still has the two Olin shocks in back. Custom frame,Simmons front end, gold rims,and triangular aluminum side plates. Im going to start rebuilding this bike soon and would like to get any info on it I can find. Any help would be great ! The bike sounds just like the one in Timerider.Its been a long time but I think I remember the builders name in the movie credits. Anyways thx again for any help with this. Kent

1fastbean

Rookie
Reaction
Had to bump this thread back up because I found the complete movie on YouTube. (Well it's broken into 10 parts.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SJwT6kXjo&feature=related"]YouTube- Timerider - Part 1[/ame]

Man, I haven't seen this movie in years. Am I wrong but didn't the ending have the helicopter swing around and kill the main bad guy with it's tail rotor? :confused: